Stop/Start failed. Died at an intersection - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Stop/Start failed. Died at an intersection

I was lucky. Didn't block the whole intersection, but only 1 lane.

Stopped in front of a traffic light. I was the 1st vehicle of the line. The starter didn't start the engine when traffic light be green. The message of the vehicle guided me to turn to Park, and to push the start. I did many times, short push, long push. I could hear the starter kicked in, but the engine refused to start. I stuck there. Turned on emergent flashers.

I felt so frustrating and nervous about the car I purchased this year. Nice people tried helping to push the car to a parking spot, but I could not get it into neutral gear. Even though, I could turn the button it to neutral position. It was not real neutral. we could not push it. I tried to disconnect the battery. But I could not do it without the right wrench by the f**king new design. My son started crying. I called towing. I called my wife to get my son. More kind people tried to help me. one person even tried to towing my car away with his towing strap. But we abandoned because there is no towing hook found on the car.

Finally, my wife arrived and rode my son to daycare.

I went back into the car, and calmed down a little bit. I tried to turned the vehicle off. Brake. Turing to Parking. Pushing start/stop button. I successfully turned the vehicle off. Took a deep breath, turned on the vehicle. Everything back in normal. I run the car away from the intersection, and called cancelling the towing service. The whole process took my more than half an hour.

Hate Auto stop start.

Last edited by smartknife; 06-04-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:54 PM

Garage
You have just described my greatest fear with that feature, and why I immediately disable it every time I get in the van. I had a transaxle lock up in my 09 GC and it was so frozen it had to be flatbedded to the shop. First at the light, rush hour, everyone pissed at me.

'18 Pacifica LTD, GCM
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:15 PM

Garage
Keep us posted and, if there is an emergency plan we should know of. That would be helpful to everyone who has ESS whether you like it or not.

among others:
1975 Plymouth Valiant
1989 Plymouth Voyager
2005 Chrysler T&C
as of 4/4/2018
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Red Velvet w/Advanced Safety and upgraded audio

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:16 PM

Wow...that's the first of this happening that I've read about.

What was your build date, and has the recall been performed? Curious if this is a calibration bug of some sort.
Longtimemopar likes this.

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
Wow...that's the first of this happening that I've read about.

What was your build date, and has the recall been performed? Curious if this is a calibration bug of some sort.
"... has the recall been performed? " That was my first thought....

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone. I will update the progress with the dealer. The car was built on September, maybe. I purchased on January this year. I have not received any call on it.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:11 PM

Garage
The most important thing is to know how to properly react in these cases. May be @ChryslerCares can guide us on this case. I find ESS useful and it's being released in more and more new cars so, it's here and I do not think will go away. The main thing is to know how to deal with it. As far as I know it uses a different battery so my questions are:

1- When you turn the car in the morning, does that use the main battery of the ESS battery?
2- If ESS fails like in this case how you can switch the car to use the main battery to go back on? (if what i have heard of ESS using a second battery is real)
3- If 1 and 3 are not right or speculations that I have heard, please, clarify everything.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced Safety Package is the way to Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

March 2018< 2018 Pacifica Touring L +
2010 - 2018 - Prius III
2008 - 2010 - Honda Fit
Before 2008 - Hyundai Tucson, Sonata, Elantra, Mercury Mystique, Toyota Corolla.

Last edited by irpilot; 06-04-2018 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Mistyped hot link for Chrysler cares
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citanic View Post
The most important thing is to know how to properly react in these cases. May be @ChryslerCares can guide us on this case. I find ESS useful and it's being released in more and more new cars so, it's here and I do not think will go away. The main thing is to know how to deal with it. As far as I know it uses a different battery so my questions are:

1- When you turn the car in the morning, does that use the main battery of the ESS battery?
2- If ESS fails like in this case how you can switch the car to use the main battery to go back on? (if what i have heard of ESS using a second battery is real)
3- If 1 and 3 are not right or speculations that I have heard, please, clarify everything.
I'm not ChryslerCares, but I don't think their social media reps would be able to help with this. With the handy dandy shop manual I think I can, here's the description of operation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017 Pacifica Repair Manual
How does the ESS system function - simple overview:

- ESS shuts the engine off when the vehicle stops

- The vehicle has to be stopped for a pre-set time before the engine is switched off

- Then, it restarts when the driver releases the brake to move the vehicle

- The system senses brake pedal position and vehicle speed to determine that the vehicle is moving

- Powertrain calibration makes the decision when to shut off the engine and when to restart the engine again

- The ESS function is transparent to the driver

- When the engine stops, a smaller secondary battery keeps accessory features powered, like the fan, wipers, headlights, audio system, etc.

- A Dual Battery Control and Power Relay Control are used to smooth out voltage dips when the starter cranks the engine
It's not about the second battery, the primary battery is for cranking, just like the normal system. This screams programming glitch to me, possibly combined with something out of spec. I'd recommend the OP submit a complain to NHTSA about this, it's a possible safety issue that may or may not have been corrected with recent revisions.
JMACCA likes this.

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
It's not about the second battery, the primary battery is for cranking, just like the normal system. This screams programming glitch to me, possibly combined with something out of spec. I'd recommend the OP submit a complain to NHTSA about this, it's a possible safety issue that may or may not have been corrected with recent revisions.
Very good information still not clear to me if when we turn on the car in the morning that second battery is used at all? The user was able to get the car back to functional. The question is how we can do that at will? Can we still function if the secondary batter totally fails, at least to move the car to a business where we could replace the battery.

How to properly react to this scenario?

Reporting to NHTSA would be good.
JMACCA likes this.

-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 - 2018 - Prius III
2008 - 2010 - Honda Fit
Before 2008 - Hyundai Tucson, Sonata, Elantra, Mercury Mystique, Toyota Corolla.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
When the engine stops, a smaller secondary battery keeps accessory features powered, like the fan, wipers, headlights, audio system, etc.
That explains why the AC is so weak when stop. In a Prius when the engine is stop the AC does not notice any changes. I know, Prius is a different beast.

-

2010 - 2018 - Prius III
2008 - 2010 - Honda Fit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page