MIL came on - P000D code - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

MIL came on - P000D code

Had the check engine light a couple of times in the past and when we brought it into the dealer for recall work they said something to the effect of "well it seems that it only came on when the gas tank was low so let's wait and see". Yesterday we brought it in for the cruise control recall and I noted that the light was on again and when I had scanned the code it came back with P000D - "B" Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 2.

The dealer just called and their Star case people said that the MIL could be caused by incorrect oil or filter so they need to do a synthetic oil change to "rule that out". Now I understand that some people may not be the most up to date on their oil changes, but I followed the service indicator religiously, doing oil changes with synthetic oil of the proper weight and a new filter every time.

The thing I don't get though is this - if they are doing an oil and filter change to "rule out" bad oil, and the part ends up still bad, wouldn't the oil and filter change then be billed as a diagnostic charge to the warranty work to fix the camshaft sensor? Why should I eat the cost of their diagnosis for warranty work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by markinmad View Post
Had the check engine light a couple of times in the past and when we brought it into the dealer for recall work they said something to the effect of "well it seems that it only came on when the gas tank was low so let's wait and see". Yesterday we brought it in for the cruise control recall and I noted that the light was on again and when I had scanned the code it came back with P000D - "B" Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 2.

The dealer just called and their Star case people said that the MIL could be caused by incorrect oil or filter so they need to do a synthetic oil change to "rule that out". Now I understand that some people may not be the most up to date on their oil changes, but I followed the service indicator religiously, doing oil changes with synthetic oil of the proper weight and a new filter every time.

The thing I don't get though is this - if they are doing an oil and filter change to "rule out" bad oil, and the part ends up still bad, wouldn't the oil and filter change then be billed as a diagnostic charge to the warranty work to fix the camshaft sensor? Why should I eat the cost of their diagnosis for warranty work?
Out of curiosity, who does your oil changes? The dealership also read the same code when they checked? Their 'fix' was an oil change? If the van is still under warranty there should be no charge. Tell them I said so.

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Well it took a couple months, but the error code is back, this time with their oil and filter.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Update - Took the van back in the fall after my last posting and they replaced the cam phaser.

Guess what's back again this past week. The same code - P000D - "B" Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 2. The van is sitting at 53,000 miles. My Fiancé has just about had it with the van and I suppose it's mostly how the dealer had treated us thus far, the first time taking the "wait and see", the second time the "it must be the oil or filter", the third time replacing a part and now it's a fourth time with the same error code.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:08 PM

I would complain to Chrysler corporate in writing, and ask by what leap of logic could oil or an oil filter impact a cam position sensor?????
Send a copy to the dealer.
Contact your local better business bureau, and again copy dealer.
Look up "lemon laws" in your state.

Your treatment at the hands of your dealer is an insult. Do not let them get away with it.
sjambok likes this.

2018 Touring L
Collapsible spare tire kit
WeatherTech window deflectors, floor mats, and cargo liner
State-issued Vietnam Veteran License plate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 10:55 AM

Maybe because the cam phaser is operated by engine oil pressure?

I'm just spitballin' here...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
Maybe because the cam phaser is operated by engine oil pressure?

I'm just spitballin' here...
I would expect oil pressure out of bounds to be reported with its own error code, as that could be a serious problem.

2018 Touring L
Collapsible spare tire kit
WeatherTech window deflectors, floor mats, and cargo liner
State-issued Vietnam Veteran License plate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinmad View Post
Update - Took the van back in the fall after my last posting and they replaced the cam phaser.

Guess what's back again this past week. The same code - P000D - "B" Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 2. The van is sitting at 53,000 miles. My Fiancé has just about had it with the van and I suppose it's mostly how the dealer had treated us thus far, the first time taking the "wait and see", the second time the "it must be the oil or filter", the third time replacing a part and now it's a fourth time with the same error code.
@ChryslerCares , this customer needs your help!
DoninDel likes this.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 11:46 PM

I'm interested to see where this goes. Just had this error show up tonight on our 2017... Yours is the only thing I can find on it so far.

I'm also in wisconsin but in waukesha.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoninDel View Post
I would complain to Chrysler corporate in writing, and ask by what leap of logic could oil or an oil filter impact a cam position sensor?????
Send a copy to the dealer.
Contact your local better business bureau, and again copy dealer.
Look up "lemon laws" in your state.

Your treatment at the hands of your dealer is an insult. Do not let them get away with it.
I had a Sienna, and somehow managed to forget to change the oil once. Right around the 10k miles on the old oil that code popped up. Changing the oil and filter cleared it for good.

*** 2018 Hybrid Limited ***

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in