Intermittent air conditioning (non-ESS) - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jerry17

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Intermittent air conditioning (non-ESS)

I haven't figured out yet whether this falls under the same set of circumstances as post https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...er-issues.html so I am starting this as a new thread. The June and August posts on that thread (the last ones,) don't seem to fit my symptoms either.

Last night, on a return trip, the system blew warm air when I started the van. I dropped the thermostat, and also switched to A/C from AUTO. No help. About 3 miles into the trip it started blowing cold air.

This morning, on the first trip, operation was normal. Later, on a trip with 4 starts, warm air. Since one of the stops was at Auto Zone for wipers, I had them do an OBD download, but there were no codes.

I saw a post from about a year ago (https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...tml#post215402) something that might relate [intermittent compressor failure,] but there is no rattle.

Have not noticed much in the way of stand-alone A/C issues in the threads (other than the confusion of the reason for warm air at ESS stops.) [I don't have ESS.]

The fact that the A/C came on full blast last night would seem to rule out a leak.

Very unhappy that the dealer can't fit me in until 9/27, but working on that. With my health, no A/C is an issue.

Is anyone else is having this type of issue?

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
Build date Oct 2016 - Delivered 11/30/16

Last edited by jerry17; 09-15-2018 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Just a quick update. When I reached out this morning, they took the van right in.

But of course, it exhibited "white coat" syndrome. No A/C all day Saturday or Sunday. No A/C when I went to take the van to the dealer. As soon as I was (literally) in sight of the dealer, the A/C came back on.

The TSB mentioned in the link in the first post either was done to the van or does not apply.....

Will continue to update.......

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 10:05 AM

only somewhat related. I was driving and the radio froze up and went black. WHen doing this it turned up the heat and blew full blast, even though i had the AC on. it may be an issues with the head unit sending bad signals to the HVAC system

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Just a note - day 10 in the shop and no diagnostic reported to me yet........

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

The service people were very slow in responding to Chrysler customer service. As late as yesterday, (day 18) they claimed to Chrysler they had not seen it manifest and were "going to give it one last try" and return the van either way. Needless to say, my wife so incensed over this even working A/C would not have cooled her down. She really likes the van but is petrified of being stuck with a breakdown.

Then she took a call around 1 pm "to pick up the van." No indication of its condition. I tried calling back on the service writer's cell phone, but it turns out she was off today. My wife refused to come with me, because if the A/C was not fixed, she did not want to say things that were on her mind.

With trepidation -- because we have two long trips this weekend, I headed to the dealership. Dropping the rental at Enterprise, they told me that there no available vehicles if did not accept the van, but I had no choice but to return the rental. You can imagine my mood as I went to the dealer.

As I was waiting my turn for the service people, Chrysler customer satisfaction called and she told me that the van WAS repaired. And it turns out they replaced the compressor due to an internal failure. I can only wonder if it the same failure referenced by the TSB I linked to in my initial post.

Well, we will see how it works -- two long trips in heavy traffic this weekend. Got to love NY Metro area's outgrown highway system....
SciTchr likes this.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry17 View Post
[EDITED]

Then she took a call around 1 pm "to pick up the van." No indication of its condition....
Have to retract that complaint. Turns out she picked up the phone out of earshot of the answering machine while the service manager was leaving the message. When she spoke to him, he just said "come and get it." But when we returned home this evening and checked the machine, he did say they found the problem and replaced the a/c compressor.

But they did drive us crazy another way. They moved the headlight switch to "OFF" from "AUTO" while servicing (not for the first time.) When we left a restaurant after dark, I could not figure out why the lower dash backlighting wasn't working. Played with the roller switches, U-connect, etc. Decided they must have disconnected a wire. However, from our next stop, I remote started. The backlights on the panel illuminated. When I moved to RUN they went off. Now I was really perplexed. Finally figured out that the Headlight switch was OFF instead of AUTO. But that is the reason I dislike these always illuminated dashboards even before running lights -- it removes a clue that you are driving at night without lights........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page