New Tires at 20,000 Miles?!?!?! - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

New Tires at 20,000 Miles?!?!?!

Good Evening,

My wife and I own a 2017 Pacifica Limited. Overall we have been very satisfied with the vehicle, however, today has been a complete disappointment. We brought in the vehicle for an oil change (approx 20k miles). We asked them to take a look at a very odd sound that comes from the tires at highway speed. They tried to rotate and balance the tires, but that simply resulted in the noise moving from the front to the back. The mechanic stated that the tires were the issue and that all four need to be replaced. He also said that one tire potentially had a defect (which was the cause of the noise in his opinion).

Here's the kicker - Chrysler doesn't want to do squat to assist. Neither does Bridgestone. Ive had a lot of vehicles in my time and none of them have required new tires at 20k miles. I'm upset with how Chrysler is handling this. I feel that they should be offering some assistance. After all - this is a $40,000 vehicle.

This vehicle has only been serviced by the dealer. They are saying that they don't think that the tires were rotated the last time I brought in the vehicle for service. How is that my fault??? Fronts are 4/32 and rears are 8/32. What do yall think?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:33 AM

What make of tire and size do you have ?. When was last time you rotated them ?. Driving dynamics, air pressure and tire manufacture all play a role in tire longevity or lack thereof .
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 07:31 AM

I would go to a good independent tire shop and get a set of good name brand tires. Drive the van like it is very heavy, cuz it is. Vans are hard on tires. All of them. Take turns more slowly. You are scrubbing rubber off the fronts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 08:58 AM

I had a CX-7 go through tires at about 25,000 miles. Totally bald.

Many factors here
1. What are the tire specs? size? Tread wear #?
2. If the dealer did not rotate them, it would not show up on the receipt. Did you ask them to rotate them? Did you check your paperwork to see it was being done?
3. Tires are wear items. If they are wearing evenly, but fast, what do you want the dealer/ tire guys to do? How do they know you are not doing burn outs? Swapping them on to another car? Warranties cover defects, not wear.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 10:42 AM

Every Van forum (Toyota, Kia, Honda, Chrysler) has many complaints about tires not wearing well.
This is due to their weight, and the fact that most people drive them like cars, because they can, and that is what they are used to It is a very heavy vehicle, with car tires, not truck tires.
Drive accordingly, and you will get 40k (or so).
Drive it hard, and you will get 20k.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:39 AM

We have 21,000 miles on our Pacifica with the cheaper factory 17" Kuhmo's. No where near worn out and we drive it fairly hard.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinramani View Post
Good Evening,

My wife and I own a 2017 Pacifica Limited. Overall we have been very satisfied with the vehicle, however, today has been a complete disappointment. We brought in the vehicle for an oil change (approx 20k miles). We asked them to take a look at a very odd sound that comes from the tires at highway speed. They tried to rotate and balance the tires, but that simply resulted in the noise moving from the front to the back. The mechanic stated that the tires were the issue and that all four need to be replaced. He also said that one tire potentially had a defect (which was the cause of the noise in his opinion).

Here's the kicker - Chrysler doesn't want to do squat to assist. Neither does Bridgestone. Ive had a lot of vehicles in my time and none of them have required new tires at 20k miles. I'm upset with how Chrysler is handling this. I feel that they should be offering some assistance. After all - this is a $40,000 vehicle.

This vehicle has only been serviced by the dealer. They are saying that they don't think that the tires were rotated the last time I brought in the vehicle for service. How is that my fault??? Fronts are 4/32 and rears are 8/32. What do yall think?

Thanks in advance!

I know these things don't come with an owner's manual, but do they come with a bundle of tire warranty info? Can't speak to the tread depth and whether your tires were rotated or not, but they should be covered (or at least prorated) for a defect. Did you ever have a puncture and use a tire foam/tire slime product? Those will cause a balance/noise issue.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANADAHYBRIDGUY View Post
What make of tire and size do you have ?. When was last time you rotated them ?. Driving dynamics, air pressure and tire manufacture all play a role in tire longevity or lack thereof .

We have the Bridgestone 18" tire. Should have been rotated last oil change (10K miles). Cant say for sure that it happened. The big issue isnt really the wear - its the noise that the tires are creating.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikbrewer View Post
I had a CX-7 go through tires at about 25,000 miles. Totally bald.

Many factors here
1. What are the tire specs? size? Tread wear #?
2. If the dealer did not rotate them, it would not show up on the receipt. Did you ask them to rotate them? Did you check your paperwork to see it was being done?
3. Tires are wear items. If they are wearing evenly, but fast, what do you want the dealer/ tire guys to do? How do they know you are not doing burn outs? Swapping them on to another car? Warranties cover defects, not wear.

Yeah - im doing burnouts in the Pacifica ::roll eyes::
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimal View Post
I know these things don't come with an owner's manual, but do they come with a bundle of tire warranty info? Can't speak to the tread depth and whether your tires were rotated or not, but they should be covered (or at least prorated) for a defect. Did you ever have a puncture and use a tire foam/tire slime product? Those will cause a balance/noise issue.

Bridgestone says no mileage warranty on OEM tires. Chrysler says 12 months or 12k miles. They told me - too bad... lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page