2018 Hybrid Touring –L Completely Dead - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

2018 Hybrid Touring –L Completely Dead

First post. I searched and searched but could not find anyone describing the same issue so I figured i’d ask.

Drove the vehicle yesterday with no issues. This morning I went to drive the vehicle in the morning and noticed the sliding doors would not open. I tried the key fob and still nothing. Upon manually opening the door, the interior overhead lights and dash lights were flashing on and off and the hybrid connector “click” sound was happening with the lights flashing. I tried starting the vehicle and nothing would happen. No error messages, just nothing. No power to anything except the flashing lights and clicking.

I checked the 12v battery, noticed that it was warm to the touch, and had no charge. I charged it for a few hours and when I hooked the positive connection back up, the lights flashing and clicking stated again. The battery puts out slightly less than 12v when disconnected and 5v when connected. I suspected the battery was bad and read of other people having the dead battery issue.

Per the manual, I attempted to jumpstart the vehicle however; it would not start; multiple warning messages flashed when I pressed the start button with the jump pack hooked up. Error messages were “service electronic brake” and “service charging system,” among others. Vehicle showed in the run position but I could not shift no power was available to operate anything and within 10 seconds or so everything would shut off and the lights would flash nonstop.

The vehicle was towed to the dealer and I am waiting to hear back.

Anyone heard or experienced anything similar. Car is brand new…like less than 30 days old. It has 500 miles on it and it is literally dead. Nothing would work. Nothing the manual said to do worked.

This is extremely concerning because I was going to travel next week and cannot begin to image what I would have done had this happened when I was hundreds of miles from home.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbs View Post
First post. I searched and searched but could not find anyone describing the same issue so I figured i’d ask.

Drove the vehicle yesterday with no issues. This morning I went to drive the vehicle in the morning and noticed the sliding doors would not open. I tried the key fob and still nothing. Upon manually opening the door, the interior overhead lights and dash lights were flashing on and off and the hybrid connector “click” sound was happening with the lights flashing. I tried starting the vehicle and nothing would happen. No error messages, just nothing. No power to anything except the flashing lights and clicking.

I checked the 12v battery, noticed that it was warm to the touch, and had no charge. I charged it for a few hours and when I hooked the positive connection back up, the lights flashing and clicking stated again. The battery puts out slightly less than 12v when disconnected and 5v when connected. I suspected the battery was bad and read of other people having the dead battery issue.

Per the manual, I attempted to jumpstart the vehicle however; it would not start; multiple warning messages flashed when I pressed the start button with the jump pack hooked up. Error messages were “service electronic brake” and “service charging system,” among others. Vehicle showed in the run position but I could not shift no power was available to operate anything and within 10 seconds or so everything would shut off and the lights would flash nonstop.

The vehicle was towed to the dealer and I am waiting to hear back.

Anyone heard or experienced anything similar. Car is brand new…like less than 30 days old. It has 500 miles on it and it is literally dead. Nothing would work. Nothing the manual said to do worked.

This is extremely concerning because I was going to travel next week and cannot begin to image what I would have done had this happened when I was hundreds of miles from home.

Thanks.
I don't have a hybrid, but I wouldn't be surprised if replacing the battery or charging it more fully solves the problem. A bad battery in a gas Pacifica can cause all kinds of crazy symptoms like you mentioned. I hope the dealer can diagnose and repair the problem quickly.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 03:41 PM

I’m having a similar issue. This morning my 2018 Hybrid Limited was dead. It had been plugged in overnight using the 110 charger that came with the van. It would not start, and briefly flashed some kind of service needed warning on the screen. Then the screen turned off and the vehicle repeatedly made a clicking sound. The screen would not come back on, and the van was completely unresponsive.

We exited the van and went back inside the house to call the dealership. When I looked back out the window, I noticed the windshield wipers were ever so slowly in motion back and forth. I checked the switch but the wiper was set to the “off” position. None of the wiper controls would change the setting.

The dealership set me up with a number for Chrysler tow. I exited the vehicle to make the call, and was standing about 20 feet away from the van. Suddenly the van started rolling backward down the driveway and into the street! Fortunately it came to a stop in the middle of the street without hitting anyone or anything! I ran over and checked it and still everything was unresponsive, with the parking brake button, and shifter buttons, and overhead lights flashing. Fortunately no one was behind the van or they could have been killed!

We had the van towed and have not yet heard from the dealership. My wife is afraid to get back in it, even if we got the issue fixed. I took a video and will see if I can upload it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I’m having a similar issue. This morning my 2018 Hybrid Limited was dead. It had been plugged in overnight using the 110 charger that came with the van. It would not start, and briefly flashed some kind of service needed warning on the screen. Then the screen turned off and the vehicle repeatedly made a clicking sound. The screen would not come back on, and the van was completely unresponsive.

We exited the van and went back inside the house to call the dealership. When I looked back out the window, I noticed the windshield wipers were ever so slowly in motion back and forth. I checked the switch but the wiper was set to the “off” position. None of the wiper controls would change the setting.

The dealership set me up with a number for Chrysler tow. I exited the vehicle to make the call, and was standing about 20 feet away from the van. Suddenly the van started rolling backward down the driveway and into the street! Fortunately it came to a stop in the middle of the street without hitting anyone or anything! I ran over and checked it and still everything was unresponsive, with the parking brake button, and shifter buttons, and overhead lights flashing. Fortunately no one was behind the van or they could have been killed!

We had the van towed and have not yet heard from the dealership. My wife is afraid to get back in it, even if we got the issue fixed. I took a video and will see if I can upload it.
I'm glad that no one was hurt and that the van has been towed to the dealer. You can private message @ChryslerCares by clicking on the red letters and give them your VIN, problem, and dealer info. Maybe you could even upload the video to them also. They might be able to assist your dealer with extra advice regarding the problem.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Apologies for never posting the solution for this. I'm sure you've heard back from the dealer on this by now but as many have pointed on issues with the 12v can cause all sorts of crazy stuff to happen. As I suspected when I originally posted, I had a bad cell in the 12v battery. When the HV attempted to connect the 12v failed and HV battery contactor circuits got stuck closed. A new 12v, disconnected ESVE, power down and reset resolved the issue.

I didn't have the issue where the van rolled. If fact, I had the opposite issue where I couldn't get the van out of park so I could roll it out of the garage and onto the tow truck.

Luckily, I haven't had any issues after that.

Tags
12v battery , lights flashing , service charging system , won't start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page