Hands-free Liftgate and Sliding Doors Activation - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Hands-free Liftgate and Sliding Doors Activation

I have a 2017 Pacifica Limited which, according to the window sticker, is equipped with hands-free liftgate and sliding doors. I also get an occasional notice on the screen saying that that hands-free liftgate and sliding doors are available, however they do not currently operate.Page 606 of the owner's manual shows the options for turning on and off the hands free liftgate and sliding doors in the Doors and Locks app, however these options are missing from my screen. Any ideas on this would be helpful. I would be disappointed to find out that an option I paid for an option that does not exist on my van.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Update: Took the Pacifica to the dealer and they said that even though the VIN and window sticker both say I should have the hands-free liftgate and sliding doors system, the vehicle does not have the sensors for the sliding doors nor the wiring or sensors for the liftgate. They had no explanation as to why this would be, except to say that perhaps when the factory towing hitch was installed, the factory neglected to complete the job for the hands-free system. So I've apparently paid for a system that I did not get. I wonder what the value is of that option, as it is built into the Limited package?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayguy View Post
Update: Took the Pacifica to the dealer and they said that even though the VIN and window sticker both say I should have the hands-free liftgate and sliding doors system, the vehicle does not have the sensors for the sliding doors nor the wiring or sensors for the liftgate. They had no explanation as to why this would be, except to say that perhaps when the factory towing hitch was installed, the factory neglected to complete the job for the hands-free system. So I've apparently paid for a system that I did not get. I wonder what the value is of that option, as it is built into the Limited package?
Uh get a lawyer this is called bait and switch. It's illegal. If the documentation SAYS you should have it and it's not equipped MAKE them install it. PERIOD.

They have NO recourse except to give you what you PAID for.. I wouldn't leave until they finish it.. or make them give you a loaner until it's complete. Don't let them squirm by offering some 'deal' maybe 10 tanks of gas.. they don't pay for gas anyway.. they get an allowance from the manufacturer.

Anyway it's up to you, but me I would be jumping up and down until stuff I ordered was installed AND working properly.

Last edited by rparker06; 10-12-2018 at 06:16 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I wonder what the value is of that option, as it is built into the Limited package?
It's $795 MSRP.
I hope the dealer makes this right for you - never heard of an option being on the sticker that's not on the car.

2018 Jazz Blue/Toffee Touring L +
AST, Hands Free Doors, All Weather Mats
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:

I can't understand why the factory didn't do a Full parts install of the tow hitch? I'd be after the dealer until they make it right.

When I ordered the OEM, (dealer installed), tow hitch for my Limited, the parts guy did tell me that unless I ordered the optional sensor parts I wouldn't be able to use the hands free lift gate. I don't remember the price for the sensor parts but, the full parts and labor install was over $1,400.
I've also wanted to get the running boards package but, the running boards cover the side sliding door sensors and hence, no hands free sliding doors.
No optional sensors for the side doors available.

George

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
1993 del Sol S (With a Few Upgrades)
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Velvet Red (ALL the bells and whistles)...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 05:54 PM

When I ordered the running boards at the dealer when we bought the van (with hands-free) off the lot, I got a call a few days later that Chrysler was refusing to ship them because I had hands free. After some back and forth, they were installed but they turned off the option in U-connect. There is at least one thread about this that mentions the sensors are "exposed" due to the running board installation, but that was not mentioned to me -- they just said you can't reach far enough under the van with your foot to activate -- something that the thread seems to contradict. From other threads, they relocate the rear sensors to the side when a hitch is installed. But this looks like a very weird snafu.

If the option is not installed, U-Connect may sense that so it won't display an option, but that sure does NOT explain the "hands-free liftgate and sliding doors are available" you have seen. I have never seen any such display related to the feature, and the liftgate hands-free is still functional.

When did you get this 2017 and is new or used?

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
Build date Oct 2016 - Delivered 11/30/16
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Update: "Missing" Hands-Free System 2017 Pacifica Limited

Aha! Some sleuthing around on other forums reveals that this particular vehicle likely was built prior to 6/10/16 when Chrysler started installing the hands-free systems as standard equipment on the Limited with a delete option. As it has the factory installed towing package, that may explain why there is no wiring or sensors for the liftgate. I can live without the hands-free option, but it's too bad the Monroney sticker information was was incorrect!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Aha! Some sleuthing around on other forums reveals that this particular vehicle likely was built prior to 6/10/16 when Chrysler started installing the hands-free systems as standard equipment on the Limited with a delete option. As it has the factory installed towing package, that may explain why there is no wiring or sensors for the liftgate. I can live without the hands-free option, but it's too bad the Monroney sticker information was was incorrect!
The label with the build date of the van is the in the driver's door opening.

Also, go to Mopar.com - create an account with your VIN.

On the main page for your van, on the left under "quick links" is "vehicle equipment"

On my van, the hands free option showed under "other."

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
Build date Oct 2016 - Delivered 11/30/16
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:06 AM

Even the videos have issues

I came across Mopar's YouTube video of how to operate the hands-free sliding doors, and notice the following discrepancy:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artamov View Post
I came across Mopar's YouTube video of how to operate the hands-free sliding doors, and notice the following discrepancy:
What is the discrepancy? That matches with what the manual for my 2019 says.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page