Rear Video Screen Issues - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By apnar

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Rear Video Screen Issues

I've had my PacHy for about 10 days now and really the only issue that we see, is that the rear entertainment screens are flaky. If they work after you power on the car, then you're fine, but if you get a blank screen, refusal to power on, or our dreaded "mouse pointer" (shown in the attached file) which briefly flickers to the some normal screen for a fraction of a second and then displays the Mouse Cursor again.

To fix this, I have to power off the video screens, remove the USB thumb drive, and then power on the screens. Hopefully the screens will power on correctly and then I can insert the offending USB thumb drive and the media should appear.

One other side effect is that the front dash video screen will be blank when the uConnect Theater app is selected. It can even difficult, or even impossible, to switch to a different app on the front screen in this scenario, as there's no lower row of icons to select (or back button).

I'm all current on the software updates (except for the uConnect re-release that was announced a couple of days ago), but hopefully Chrysler will eventually get the Rear Media issues figured out.

I did a search for Mouse Cursor and nobody else seems to experience this issue, so have others seen this screen as well? Also, does this sounds like a uConnect or VRM issue with the USB thumb drive that it doesn't like at times?

-Stach
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pacifica Mouse Cursor 001.jpg (190.9 KB, 28 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 12:08 PM

Almost seems like an incompatibility with the drive / size / formatting or content. Weird stuff like this happens with computers when things like that happen.

Is it reliable without the USB drive inserted? Have you tried a different drive?

We just had rear screens be black for the first time, they they were 100% dead not even a cursor. A pull of the fuse to reset VRM resolved it. Maybe you'd want to try pulling the fuses for UConnect and VRM to see if it helps if you prefer to try yourself before going into a dealer.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPLMVR View Post
Is it reliable without the USB drive inserted? Have you tried a different drive?
I have a smaller USB flash drive that works reliably, but would like to use the 128GB flash drive that others recommended here. The new / larger drive works maybe 25% of the time from power on, but 100% of the time if I insert it after the car has been powered on and the video screens are active.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stach View Post
I have a smaller USB flash drive that works reliably, but would like to use the 128GB flash drive that others recommended here. The new / larger drive works maybe 25% of the time from power on, but 100% of the time if I insert it after the car has been powered on and the video screens are active.
I tried using the recommended Sandisk thumb drive from Amazon again, and more strangeness ensued. Both screens had to be powered off and back on after starting the PacHy, and then only the drivers side screen would work. The Passenger side screen had the dreaded mouse pointer on it, and would flicker a full potentially "normal" screen for a fraction of a second, every 5 seconds or so. Also, I moved the Sandisk thumb drive to the front USB audio port and it didn't even react like it was inserted as it was still prompting me to insert a USB device. I also tried pulling it out a just a hair, but that didn't help either.

The USB ports in the Pacifica are frustratingly finicky for a $40,000+ vehicle.
Stach
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stach View Post
I did a search for Mouse Cursor and nobody else seems to experience this issue, so have others seen this screen as well? Also, does this sounds like a uConnect or VRM issue with the USB thumb drive that it doesn't like at times?

-Stach

I havenít seen the specific issue youíre experiencing but thought Iíd give you some general info. The UConnect system and rear screens are completely separate systems. UConnect runs QNX and is in the dash. The rear screens run off a Linux computer under the passenger seat called the VRM (video routing module). You can think of it as having 3 video outputs, one to each rear screen and one as a video feed to the UConnect system (look closely and youíll see the clarity on the theater screen up front isnít nearly as good as others since itís actually just a video in). The bottom USB port is routed directly to the computer under the seat. So ďturning offĒ the screens doesnít do much but tweak some software in the VRM. You need to pull the fuse or unplug cable under seat to actually restart VRM.
Stach likes this.

2018 Pacifica Limited (gas) - Oct. 2017 build

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page