"Start/Stop Unavailable" 2017 Pacifica - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

"Start/Stop Unavailable" 2017 Pacifica

Thought I would share an issue I had and the resolution.

A yellow start/stop icon with an excalamtion to the right appeared in my cluster display. Text warning said "Start/Stop Unavailable". I was worried because I couldn't find this icon in the manual.

Took to dealer, and they told me it was an early indication of a failing battery. They replaced both batteries (under warranty) and I was on my way.

Fixed the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heynowbuddy View Post
Thought I would share an issue I had and the resolution.

A yellow start/stop icon with an excalamtion to the right appeared in my cluster display. Text warning said "Start/Stop Unavailable". I was worried because I couldn't find this icon in the manual.

Took to dealer, and they told me it was an early indication of a failing battery. They replaced both batteries (under warranty) and I was on my way.

Fixed the issue.
"A yellow start/stop icon with an excalamtion to the right appeared in my cluster display. Text warning said "Start/Stop Unavailable". I was worried because I couldn't find this icon in the manual."

Is this different than what others have experienced? This was not in the regular ESS status menu? @heynowbuddy , can you give more info on your Pacifica: new or used, manufacture date, etc.

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 03:40 PM

We don't have ESS, but just dealt with a failing battery. In our experience, when the car battery is dying, it acts like a petulant teenager, hurting all sorts of insults at you. That's perhaps an extreme analogy, but we had everything from "service shifter" to "reverse baking unavailable" to messages about the doors and kick sensors (and we don't even have kick sensors). It would even kill the lights on the shifter, leaving the selected gear dim, making it a bit of a guessing game to shift from memory and hope you were not in drive when you wanted reverse - use the information center screen to help in this scenario.

Replacing the battery is easy, or as easy as anything is to do under the hood (where one has to remove three components or cross braces to just get at something!) As we are out of warranty, we got ours at Costco and it took about 30 minutes or less to do.
Thundering Banshee likes this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) w/tow. April 2016 build.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 04:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by catboy View Post
We don't have ESS, but just dealt with a failing battery. In our experience, when the car battery is dying, it acts like a petulant teenager, hurting all sorts of insults at you. That's perhaps an extreme analogy, but we had everything from "service shifter" to "reverse baking unavailable" to messages about the doors and kick sensors (and we don't even have kick sensors). It would even kill the lights on the shifter, leaving the selected gear dim, making it a bit of a guessing game to shift from memory and hope you were not in drive when you wanted reverse - use the information center screen to help in this scenario.

Replacing the battery is easy, or as easy as anything is to do under the hood (where one has to remove three components or cross braces to just get at something!) As we are out of warranty, we got ours at Costco and it took about 30 minutes or less to do.
Good to hear that it was easy to do and I hope everything is back to normal. What battery did you get and approximately how much was it? You are over 36,000 miles and did not get an extended warranty?

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 04:55 PM

Yes, there's a good tutorial on battery replacement here on the site: https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...tml#post524364

The battery size for the Pacifica is H7 but also referred to as L4 and 94R it seems. There are different batteries for the gas with and without ESS. I think ours was around $150. You don't need an EGR battery unless you have ESS. My guide to purchasing (aside from the size) was to not buy off-brand batteries, and because batteries go bad over time, was to go for the freshest battery I could find (they will have month/date stickers). For us, Costco was the best on these fronts, although they don't install.

Why no extended warranty? We should have purchased an unlimited mileage plan but just never did. I've heard that one never makes up the purchase price of an extended warranty, but with this car, we just might. Too many things are just not right. I guess we also hoped that we would be successful with our NCDS dispute case, but we were not.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimemopar View Post
"A yellow start/stop icon with an excalamtion to the right appeared in my cluster display. Text warning said "Start/Stop Unavailable". I was worried because I couldn't find this icon in the manual."

Is this different than what others have experienced? This was not in the regular ESS status menu? @heynowbuddy , can you give more info on your Pacifica: new or used, manufacture date, etc.

The warning was in the cluster, on the left side. Not sure what the "regular ESS status menu" is that you mention, but this was a warning icon that remained while operating the vehicle.
Production was April 2017. Bought new.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:54 PM

I am having the same problem which just started two days ago. I wonder if it's the same issue.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 03:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zldavis View Post
I am having the same problem which just started two days ago. I wonder if it's the same issue.
Get your battery/charging system checked out ASAP.

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:58 PM

I own 2017 pacifica gas with ESS.
one day while driving, let off gas and wife pushed ess disable at same time... car immediately stalled and made strange noise. started back up and start/stop unavailable came up on dash display as notification. this wasn’t too upsetting as I wasn’t a fan anyhow, so I decided to leave it alone for the time being. went to start van today and interior lights began to flash and doors will not work and vehicle will not start. I’ve tried all key fob techniques, checked battery connection, fuses, etc. This led me to jump the vehicle in order to get systems working as normal. Let it charge for a while and shut it down. Battery did not hold charge and Van died again (within about 15 min).

My opinion on this troubling issue soo many are having in multiple forums with ESS vehicles is the ESS Aux battery is not suitable for the dual battery control module to balance them out. It is being strained within the system and lead batteries can only handle so much ups and downs. The Van throws different ess malfunctions to drivers when Aux battery is going to ****. Replacing it with a matching output 12v lithium battery may due the trick as they are capable of handling many more ups and downs and voltage changes without damage.

Factory mopar motorcycle battery takes ****, then dual battery system kicks in to balance them out for time being until it can’t take the abuse... the other battery is like a leach sucking the life out of it! Not sure if lithium battery for AUX ess will do it, but so far haven’t found any tried proven fixes as noone wants to void warrantees.

Any battery changes will most likely void warranties, so be advised and do your research. I feel as the factory has failed in development of this system as changing batteries out with mopar is just a bandaid!
ecollierphoto likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:34 PM

I just started seeing this message today and I have a lifetime mopar service contract. Should I expect this to be covered or are they going to screw me and tell me the battery is a consumable and bill me the whole amount for their overpriced replacements? The van has 37900 miles so I'm JUST outside the original bumper to bumper warranty .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in