Transmission - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Transmission

I have a 2017 Pacifica with about 60k miles on it. When I place it in park it rolls a little before it stops,is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 06:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving View Post
I have a 2017 Pacifica with about 60k miles on it. When I place it in park it rolls a little before it stops,is this normal?
I have not experienced that. In the settings, I set my parking brake to be set automatically when stopping the engine. I don't know if that makes any difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 06:29 PM

Completely normal. All cars will do this to some degree - some more than others. You should set the car to automatically set the parking brake when put in Park. It will automatically disengage as well, so long as your seatbelt is buckled and you apply reasonably firm pressure to the brake. Putting the car only in park without the parking brake won’t hold the car on a sufficiently steep grade, and it can start to roll away. Using the parking brake as a habit is the best practice.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 06:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5501 View Post
Completely normal. All cars will do this to some degree - some more than others. You should set the car to automatically set the parking brake when put in Park. It will automatically disengage as well, so long as your seatbelt is buckled and you apply reasonably firm pressure to the brake. Putting the car only in park without the parking brake won’t hold the car on a sufficiently steep grade, and it can start to roll away. Using the parking brake as a habit is the best practice.
Mine doesn't disengage automatically. Is there a separate setting for this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post
Mine doesn't disengage automatically. Is there a separate setting for this?
If the auto parking brake feature is enabled in vehicle settings, the parking brake is supposed to apply anytime the vehicle is placed into park. Conversely, anytime the vehicle is moved from Park to Drive (or Reverse) the auto park brake disengages. Again, this in the vehicle settings in the touchscreen.

That said, my car has sporadic problems with the auto park brake not acting in an "auto" fashion. It won't automatically disengage sometimes. The dealer said this is working as designed, despite it being opposite of how the owners manual states. They first tried to "fix" my problem by simply turning off the auto park brake feature in the touchscreen.
craig likes this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) w/tow. April 2016 build.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:01 PM

First, your seatbelt has to be fastened.
Then, check you settings on the screen when parked. The auto emergency release can be programmed.
If it goes on automatically but not off, I'm betting you are not buckled.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
Then, check you settings on the screen when parked. The auto emergency release can be programmed.
You would win that bet my friend. I have a bad habit of backing out, then I pull on the belt as I drive away.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
Mine is just defective. Bucked or not, door closed or not - each time it's a guessing game!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catboy View Post
Mine is just defective. Bucked or not, door closed or not - each time it's a guessing game!
The other thing to notice (after seat belt is fastened) is how fast you are turning the knob. I have found that moving the knob more slowly usually releases the parking brake about the "R" setting even if I am moving the knob toward the "D".

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciTchr View Post
The other thing to notice (after seat belt is fastened) is how fast you are turning the knob. I have found that moving the knob more slowly usually releases the parking brake about the "R" setting even if I am moving the knob toward the "D".
I'll try it s-l-o-w-l-y next time, but also was reminded of a bit of Chrysler folklore. A friend of ours has some extend family working on the line building Chrysler transmissions, and we told them about this problem. They were irate that Chrysler would treat it's customers the way we had been treated, but also said that they thought it was a safety feature of the van that if the wheel was turned ever too much to the left or right, it would disable the auto park brake release. Supposedly the safety aspect was to prevent you from putting it in D or R and take off at an angle. I don't think that's true at all. And I can't necessarily see it as a feature or even a safety feature.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page