2017 Pacifica Major Issues - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

2017 Pacifica Major Issues

Hello all,

I would like to share my experience thus far with my 2017 Chrysler Pacifica which just hit 27,000 miles:

The major mechanical problems began in April 2018 and are detailed below:

April 4, 2018- We were on vacation and could smell something burning. We took it to the service department at a local dealership. They reported they could not find a code and the vehicle was in good working condition. Total days in the shop: one day. (misdiagnosed; later told the smell was the auxiliary battery)

June 30, 2018-Driving back from out of town we stopped at a restaurant for lunch. When we tried to leave the vehicle would not start. It was 95 degrees outside. Contacted Chrysler Roadside Assistance for a tow truck. After two hours the tow truck did not arrive. Contacted Chrysler Roadside Assistance again. Advised the tow truck company had cancelled the call and failed to notify Chrysler. Contacted AAA. Two hours later AAA tow truck arrived and transported the van to our local dealership. Diagnosis-bad auxiliary battery in the start/stop system. Also complained that transmission is occasionally hard shifting and slamming into gear. Dealership could not duplicate. Got car back on July 6th. Total days in shop: seven days.

October 23, 2018-Vehicle in shop due to bad right front strut. Complained again about transmission hard shifting occasionally and slamming into gear. Dealership could not duplicate. Got car back October 26, 2018. Total days in shop: four days

November 14, 2018- Vehicle in shop due to engine trouble. Replaced Tappets in both banks as well as head gaskets due to collapsed intake cam shaft lifters. Picked up the vehicle November 23rd. Got into vehicle and the check engine light and blind spot illumination lights on. Left vehicle again. Contacted back later in day with diagnosis of intake air temperature sensor not properly seated and reset obstacle detection system. Total days in shop: ten days.

November 23, 2018, one hour after pick up from dealership-Vehicle in park idling at a retail establishment. Symbol for automatic start/stop came on for 8 seconds, check engine light began flashing, and vehicle shook violently. Tried to move the vehicle to a different parking location. Vehicle shuttered and had very little power. After a couple of minutes check engine light stopped flashing and vehicle ran semi normal. I was able to get the vehicle home.

November 23, 2018-After researching the internet about the seriousness of a flashing check engine light, vehicle was towed back to the dealer. Was notified on November 26, 2018 that the vehicle needs a new phaser for the cam. Parts are on order.

The car seems to be literally falling apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf140 View Post
Hello all,

I would like to share my experience thus far with my 2017 Chrysler Pacifica which just hit 27,000 miles:

The major mechanical problems began in April 2018 and are detailed below:

April 4, 2018- We were on vacation and could smell something burning. We took it to the service department at a local dealership. They reported they could not find a code and the vehicle was in good working condition. Total days in the shop: one day. (misdiagnosed; later told the smell was the auxiliary battery)

June 30, 2018-Driving back from out of town we stopped at a restaurant for lunch. When we tried to leave the vehicle would not start. It was 95 degrees outside. Contacted Chrysler Roadside Assistance for a tow truck. After two hours the tow truck did not arrive. Contacted Chrysler Roadside Assistance again. Advised the tow truck company had cancelled the call and failed to notify Chrysler. Contacted AAA. Two hours later AAA tow truck arrived and transported the van to our local dealership. Diagnosis-bad auxiliary battery in the start/stop system. Also complained that transmission is occasionally hard shifting and slamming into gear. Dealership could not duplicate. Got car back on July 6th. Total days in shop: seven days.

October 23, 2018-Vehicle in shop due to bad right front strut. Complained again about transmission hard shifting occasionally and slamming into gear. Dealership could not duplicate. Got car back October 26, 2018. Total days in shop: four days

November 14, 2018- Vehicle in shop due to engine trouble. Replaced Tappets in both banks as well as head gaskets due to collapsed intake cam shaft lifters. Picked up the vehicle November 23rd. Got into vehicle and the check engine light and blind spot illumination lights on. Left vehicle again. Contacted back later in day with diagnosis of intake air temperature sensor not properly seated and reset obstacle detection system. Total days in shop: ten days.

November 23, 2018, one hour after pick up from dealership-Vehicle in park idling at a retail establishment. Symbol for automatic start/stop came on for 8 seconds, check engine light began flashing, and vehicle shook violently. Tried to move the vehicle to a different parking location. Vehicle shuttered and had very little power. After a couple of minutes check engine light stopped flashing and vehicle ran semi normal. I was able to get the vehicle home.

November 23, 2018-After researching the internet about the seriousness of a flashing check engine light, vehicle was towed back to the dealer. Was notified on November 26, 2018 that the vehicle needs a new phaser for the cam. Parts are on order.

The car seems to be literally falling apart.
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing info about your van. Sorry to hear of your troubles. If you put your van info (year, trim, gas/hybrid, build date (on driver's door), etc.) in the signature line of the UserCP (click red letters next to LogOut on computer), it will show up on each post and might help others assist you.

As for the hard shift, resetting the transmission adaptations helped my van. Even though I've had to have that done twice, it runs smoothly for awhile. My van is at 30,000 miles. Here are some posts you can read if interested.
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/525966-post48.html
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/356586-post2.html
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/515626-post34.html
Bond007 likes this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 11-28-2018 at 12:16 AM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 11:21 PM

Wow. Thatís too many troubles for one new car. Donít know if itíll fall under a lemon law in your state. Did you ask Chrysler corporate to replace the van? If not, that would be a start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

I have checked on the lemon law which in my state is very vague and can be left up to interpretation. I PM'd Customer Care on this forum and sent a letter to the General Manager at the Dealership. Should I mail a letter to Chrysler Corporate?

2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:01 AM

Usually there are attorneys that specialize in lemon law practice. Iíd look on the internet or yellow pages and reach out to one. Should be no cost to you. In some states the automaker pays attorney fees too.

Are you using the same dealer for all this work? Your write up gives the impression the dealer is both slow and does not do high quality work.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
I have checked on the lemon law which in my state is very vague and can be left up to interpretation. I PM'd Customer Care on this forum and sent a letter to the General Manager at the Dealership. Should I mail a letter to Chrysler Corporate?
The battery problem should have been diagnosed at the first trip to the dealership. @SciTchr has some good advice on the transmission. The engine problems: I don't recall anybody else on the Forum having tappet problems. As far as your next step, yes, do all you can do to get your situation remedied. Letters might help, although slow process.
sjambok likes this.

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:09 AM

You are a candidate for the NCDS dispute process. This is a mandated tool the government requires that automakers provide to arbitrate vehicle quality issues. The instructions for it are in your owners manual, but also can be found here: http://www.ncdsusa.org/consumers/aut...anty-disputes/

I've been through it, and would be happy to answer any questions. Don't wait too long to begin this process.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:

The dealership can replace the vehicle only if they feel they are at a fault and the fallout is damaging their future business. The only entity that could actually pay to replace your car and or provide a full refund (sometimes with no questions asked) would be Chrysler corporate. So please do write a letter to be mailed in by registered post / Fedex citing all your issues. I know it will be slow and painful but most likely you may get a call from them asking for a resolution.
P.S. emails and phone conversations / promises are like thin air. They vanish without a trace many times.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
The dealership can replace the vehicle only if they feel they are at a fault and the fallout is damaging their future business. The only entity that could actually pay to replace your car and or provide a full refund (sometimes with no questions asked) would be Chrysler corporate. So please do write a letter to be mailed in by registered post / Fedex citing all your issues. I know it will be slow and painful but most likely you may get a call from them asking for a resolution.
P.S. emails and phone conversations / promises are like thin air. They vanish without a trace many times.

Thank you for the advice. I will write a letter to Chrysler corporation

Bond007 likes this.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Hello all, I was notified by the servicing dealer that the repair to the cam phaser did not fix the issue. Vehicle remains in the shop for additional diagnostics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page