Sliding Doors Frozen Shut Often - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Sliding Doors Frozen Shut Often

My 2017 Pacifica TL is my first ever minivan so I'm not too familiar with how common it is for sliding doors to be stuck frozen shut in the winter months, but it seems like a significant issue that shouldn't happen as often as it does. I'm in the Pittsburgh area and I don't own a garage so my van is exposed to the elements. It seems like any amount of wintery precipitation causes the power sliding doors to freeze over and refuse to operate. My only options are to run the car to warm it up and to carefully work a scraper along all the seams of the door until finally the ice yields. One time the situation was so bad I had to get my heat gun and heat the seals for a couple minutes.

Does this line up with your experience? Is this typical of all minivans or is the Pacifica extra bad at this? Are there better solutions? I've thought about making tarps with two weighted sides to hang over the doors to keep them from getting snow and ice.

2017 Pacifica Touring-L, June 2016 Build, bought Certified Pre-Owned June 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:42 PM

Garage
Won't the Prestone windshield spray de-icer work on the doors and locks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post
Won't the Prestone windshield spray de-icer work on the doors and locks?
That'll work fine in Northern California, in Pittsburgh, maybe a 5 gallon bottle will do it!

Actually, the problem is the sensitivity of the sensor that stops the door if it is blocked in either direction. All minivans have this issue.
Lily likes this.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant

Last edited by Waldo; 11-28-2018 at 11:38 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 12:25 AM

I spray the rubber seals with silicone at the beginning of Winter. I think that helps keep water from between the door and seal (which would freeze and cause the problem).

Pat
17 Pacifica Touring L

Previous vans:
08 T&C Touring
00 T&C 3.8
95 GV 3.3
89 Caravan 3.0
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 01:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
That'll work fine in Northern California, in Pittsburgh, maybe a 5 gallon bottle will do it!

Actually, the problem is the sensitivity of the sensor that stops the door if it is blocked in either direction. All minivans have this issue.
Sorry. My part of Northern CA (Sacramento area) we get our windshield frozen (if left outside) maybe 15-20 times a year. Nothing more. We don't have earth quakes, hurricanes, twisters, or snow here; gosh I hate it here. Nah, really I love it here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 06:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by monza View Post
I spray the rubber seals with silicone at the beginning of Winter. I think that helps keep water from between the door and seal (which would freeze and cause the problem).
I second the silicone suggestion. Spray works but you might find a light spread of silicone grease will last longer. I've had cars outside for years and this seems to do the trick for me. We just had 11 inches of wet snow that froze and this worked.

My bigger problem was ice buildup on the rear bumper. The hatch couldn't get past the ice and Park Sense was faked into thinking something was behind me. When I backed up, the brakes engaged! Had to disable it until the ice melted.

among others:
1975 Plymouth Valiant
1989 Plymouth Voyager
2005 Chrysler T&C
as of 4/4/2018
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Red Velvet w/Advanced Safety and upgraded audio
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltoppper View Post
I second the silicone suggestion. Spray works but you might find a light spread of silicone grease will last longer. I've had cars outside for years and this seems to do the trick for me. We just had 11 inches of wet snow that froze and this worked.

My bigger problem was ice buildup on the rear bumper. The hatch couldn't get past the ice and Park Sense was faked into thinking something was behind me. When I backed up, the brakes engaged! Had to disable it until the ice melted.
I'll have to try the silicone grease, sounds good.

I keep a kids Super Soaker water gun with washer fluid to clean the TV satellite dish free of snow. Maybe that'll work on the back bumper.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monza View Post
Thanks for the tip. I already picked up a can today. Here's hoping that saves some aggravation.

I'm still curious if anyone with a longer history of owning vans thinks this is a problem across the board with van sliding doors, or if the Pacifica might suffer from poor design on this issue? It just seems like van makers would have figured out a better answer by now... something like heated seals that warm up when the rear defroster is activated.

2017 Pacifica Touring-L, June 2016 Build, bought Certified Pre-Owned June 2017
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 10:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMR89 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I already picked up a can today. Here's hoping that saves some aggravation.

I'm still curious if anyone with a longer history of owning vans thinks this is a problem across the board with van sliding doors, or if the Pacifica might suffer from poor design on this issue? It just seems like van makers would have figured out a better answer by now... something like heated seals that warm up when the rear defroster is activated.
I've had either a car or minivan outside since 1989. Whether it was the Olds Cutlass, Chevy Cavalier, 89 Voyager or the 05 T&C, when the conditions were right any or all of the doors would freeze shut. It is not unique to vans. The Pacifica is the first vehicle that has power sliding doors so we will see how that goes.

Prior to spraying or greasing the doors there were times I thought I might break the handle when pulling on a door handle. Often one of the doors would open and I would crawl in and start the car and the rest of the doors would soon open easily when pushed from the inside.

So there. Such is life here in Chicago. Now all you Californians, Texans and Floridians can gloat over your weather once again!

among others:
1975 Plymouth Valiant
1989 Plymouth Voyager
2005 Chrysler T&C
as of 4/4/2018
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Red Velvet w/Advanced Safety and upgraded audio
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltoppper View Post
Now all you Californians, Texans and Floridians can gloat over your weather once again!
I am here gloating in California. Thank you for this opportunity! LOL. As stated before, my part of California is NOT subject to earthquakes, fires, hurricane's, or tornados. I ain't claiming that we are God's favorites, but...
Hilltoppper likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page