Cannot play movies on uConnect from iPhone via HDMI - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jabancroft

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Cannot play movies on uConnect from iPhone via HDMI

Hi, I just purchased a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid, Limited model.

I am trying to play movies downloaded to my phone over uConnect for my kids. So far I have tested movies downloaded to my phone from the following apps: Netflix, YouTube, Vudu, Amazon Prime video.

In all cases the movie audio plays but there is just a blank screen displayed (see picture).

However, if I try to play youtube videos from my phone, this works fine -- but if I purchase a movie through youtube I encounter the same problem.

Similarly, when playing movies via Vudu, the advertisements play fine, but the actual movie doesn't.

Has anyone gotten this to work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0776.jpg (45.7 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

The issue us how eConnect works with DRM-protected files

I just got off the phone with Chrysler, and they told me that DRM-protected movies won't play on uConnect. I asked them if this would be fixed in a future uConnect update and they didn't know.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesharm View Post
I just got off the phone with Chrysler, and they told me that DRM-protected movies won't play on uConnect. I asked them if this would be fixed in a future uConnect update and they didn't know.
Just burn or copy the files onto a usb stick

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

I have read all the threads on how to play via usb stick -- seems like to much trouble. I just ordered the headrest mounts for the kids' iPads. Problem solved, but too bad uConnect is so poorly designed.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 02:11 AM

This is likely the fault of something called HDCP (HD Copy Protection), a kind of DRM/digital lock used on most modern content. Basically, it requires that every device in the chain supports HDCP (the display, the phone, etc.). If a device doesn't support it, it will refuse to play back. This is a copy protection measure. Basically, it prevents someone from building a digital recorder that you could easily plug an HDMI cable into, and record/pirate a movie. In order to get HDCP certification, the manufacturer of the device has to go through a certification process and basically promise that they won't enable people to be pirates. Not all manufacturers go to the trouble, and it sounds like the HDMI inputs on Uconnect Theater are not HDCP compliant.
cesharm likes this.

Tags
econnect , iphone , netflix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page