Headlight goes off after 3 seconds on when manually turned on - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Headlight goes off after 3 seconds on when manually turned on

I have a 2017 Pacifica Limited. My passenger side headlight works for daytime running lights (the band of lights around the outside of the headlight), but if i turn on the lights, or they come on when its dark enough, the light as well as the DRL band come on for about 3-5 seconds, and then they all go off. To be candid, while driving one day something flew in front of the car sideways and did bump the light and left a scratch on it. When i took it to the dealer to find out what was wrong, they just said it was going to be $750 to replace the light since it was obviously hit. Since the DRL works during the day as long as you drive it, and they all come on for a few seconds when I manually turn them on, it doesnt seem possible the bulb is bad, but maybe something like a control, heatsink, or other anomoly is happening to make it go off. Has anyone seen anything like this? Any ideas of what i can check before i get ripped off for $750 for a headlight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 10:39 PM

First of all , never admit anything about a collision prior to going to a dealership. That gives them an incentive to put everything on that event. Do you have halogen or HID lights? Try to swap bulbs from other side and see if the problem persists. If it moves to other side, then youíve got your culprit and itíll be a cheap fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Bond007. Totally agree on admitting anything on a collision. There is a scratch on the lens which they are using as the "proof" it was hit in some way. Since the light does come on and the DRLs work all the time unless the low beams come on, then I cannot say it needs to have a new $700 headlamp and $450 service to fix it. It seems to me since its an HID light, that it may be the ballast, but can't figure out how something grazing the front of the lens caused the ballast to go bad.

Anyone know a quick and easy way to check the ballast? An aquantaince said they had the same issue, and a garage (not the dealer) actually found a short and replaced a piece of wire (doesn't sound the best to me).

I have zero issue working to figure out the actual problem and fixing it, just refuse to spend over a grand when i know it isn't the issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page