Wet spark plug? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DoninDel

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Wet spark plug?

I live in NC where CarMax is piloting a program where they drive cars to you to test drive and potentially purchase. I had a Pacifica without any accident history that seemed like a good deal, and had asked them to drive it out.

Fifteen minutes before they were scheduled to arrive, I got a call telling me the check engine light had come on and they'd need to get it looked at by their mechanics and see whether or not it was a big deal.

We found a different Pacifica they were going to drive out, two hours later, same price, better paint job, I was feeling pretty good about it. I just got a call -- check engine light came on for the same problem: a wet spark plug. Both of these are 2018 Pacifica with 16k miles on them.

I thought I wanted a Pacifica, and the price seemed pretty reasonable for used, but the universe seems to be telling me something...

I don't have a code to give you, I can tell you both were 2018 Pacifica Limiteds.

Has anyone else run into that error? Is this as common as it appears to have been for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowngle View Post
I live in NC where CarMax is piloting a program where they drive cars to you to test drive and potentially purchase. I had a Pacifica without any accident history that seemed like a good deal, and had asked them to drive it out.

Fifteen minutes before they were scheduled to arrive, I got a call telling me the check engine light had come on and they'd need to get it looked at by their mechanics and see whether or not it was a big deal.

We found a different Pacifica they were going to drive out, two hours later, same price, better paint job, I was feeling pretty good about it. I just got a call -- check engine light came on for the same problem: a wet spark plug. Both of these are 2018 Pacifica with 16k miles on them.

I thought I wanted a Pacifica, and the price seemed pretty reasonable for used, but the universe seems to be telling me something...

I don't have a code to give you, I can tell you both were 2018 Pacifica Limiteds.

Has anyone else run into that error? Is this as common as it appears to have been for me?
I'm not a mechanic and live in a dry climate, but it seems a bit odd to me to say that a check engine light came on for a wet spark plug. Did they hose off the engine? The universe may be telling you to buy from someone else. I haven't read about vans having wet spark plug issues.

I have had a check engine light come on around 30,000 miles that wasn't supposed to be a big deal and I could drive the van until convenient to bring in since it was a small evap leak (that brought up a code). In my case, it was fixed by replacing a part once I took the van in. I wouldn't buy a van with the check engine light on since you don't really know what the repair may require.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 12-29-2018 at 08:06 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

They were taking both vans back to the dealership for repairs, but thats a fair point -- shopping around for a different source of used Pacificas is probably the way to go.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 03:16 PM

There is no error code for "wet spark plug" - follow up with them - was it a misfire? How did they determine plug was wet? What was it wet with? Oil? Unburned gas? Water on ignition wires should not cause a misfire, you should be able to drive in a teeming downpour.
Ask for the specific error code and look it up on internet.
Lipster likes this.

2018 Touring L
Collapsible spare tire kit
WeatherTech window deflectors, floor mats, and cargo liner
State-issued Vietnam Veteran License plate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page