Battery Drain - Dashboard rear entertainment USB - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Battery Drain - Dashboard rear entertainment USB

For the last three weeks we’ve had dead battery and drain issues in our 2018 Pacifica with rear entertainment. It’s been to the dealership twice and the first time they did software updates that they said should’ve resolved the issue. Obviously not. The second time they couldn’t recreate the problem.

When I brought the van in the second time for the same problem, I unplugged all of charging cables (2 of them and neither had been charging a phone when the battery died). Additionally, I unplugged the USB flash drive that has all of the movies on it.

When we went to pick up the van, the dealership said that they couldn’t recreate an unrelated issue (rear entertainment system not working right). In order to recreate that problem, I plugged in a different usb drive with some audio files on it. I recreated the problem for the rear entertainment system and they ordered the parts but I took the van. Went home, leaving the flash drive plugged in and within an hour (after reinstalling car seats of course) the van would not start.

Purely by accident we have successfully diagnosed the problem. So here’s my issue:

The USB port in the dash for rear entertainment system should not be drawing that much power when the vehicle is off. Even more so when you consider the power consumption of a flash drive. Additionally, when we we do turn on the vehicle, the system would have to re-index the contents of the flash drive, so it’s not like the power draw was even worthwhile.

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 08:42 PM

Garage
You are correct, the USB port can't draw more than 5W, which is not enough to drain the battery. Even if the drive somehow prevents the entertainment system from shutting off, it can't kill the battery in one hour. Try to do it few more times and see if there is a pattern. And get a voltmeter- a cheap one from Harbor Freight will do.

*** 2019 Hybrid Limited ***
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
You are correct, the USB port can't draw more than 5W, which is not enough to drain the battery. Even if the drive somehow prevents the entertainment system from shutting off, it can't kill the battery in one hour. Try to do it few more times and see if there is a pattern. And get a voltmeter- a cheap one from Harbor Freight will do.
The first go around with this issue was months of drain - we just left the drive plugged in. During that time (and even now) the vehicle never sat for more than 18 hours between uses. At this point I doubt the battery is fully charged or able to hold a full charge because it’s draining so quickly.

I’ll look into the voltmeter. I’d be curious if the draw with and without the drive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page