Multiple warning lights and parking brake engaging when starting minivan - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cherienic008

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Multiple warning lights and parking brake engaging when starting minivan

We own a 2017 Touring-L Pacifica. We bought it at 22,000 miles and it's driven well until now, at 30,000 miles. This doesn't always occur, but when we try and start the car, it will seem like it can't start and multiple warning lights will flash. Originally, I noticed the ECS warning flash saying it needed serviced and the little icon with the swerving car stayed on. The engine light and also the anti-theft light would also be on while I tried to (unsuccessfully) start the car. After many tries, it will usually start and all warning lights go away (except for the swerving car icon which sometimes stays on). Now, which really concerns me, the parking brake will engage when starting the car. The service brake system will flash (along with everything else), and I will be unable to actually push the brake petal to start the car. It's also strange because if you look at the emergency parking light button, it's not actually lit up like it's on. After many attempts to start the car, it will eventually (so far anyways), start up and run like normal.

All these strange issues make me very nervous to actually drive the car. A couple of years ago I was in a serious accident due to the car malfunctioning so this kind of has me in panic mode since I have no idea what's going on. What if the car decides to engage the parking brake while I'm driving with my kids in the car?!

In any case, we took it to our mechanic for an unrelated issue (before this started) and he noticed the parking brake issue before we did. We had him check both batteries but he said they were fine. He also said the only code he found was for the ABS. He recommended that we take it to a dealer since it's still under warranty although he warned us that the dealers near us don't have the best mechanics. We can't get it in until Thursday so I was hoping to get a headstart and see if anyone has encountered anything similar or could at least make me feel less terrified of this car when driving.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 02:19 PM

Please Check Your Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherienic008 View Post
We own a 2017 Touring-L Pacifica. We bought it at 22,000 miles and it's driven well until now, at 30,000 miles. This doesn't always occur, but when we try and start the car, it will seem like it can't start and multiple warning lights will flash. Originally, I noticed the ECS warning flash saying it needed serviced and the little icon with the swerving car stayed on. The engine light and also the anti-theft light would also be on while I tried to (unsuccessfully) start the car. After many tries, it will usually start and all warning lights go away (except for the swerving car icon which sometimes stays on). Now, which really concerns me, the parking brake will engage when starting the car. The service brake system will flash (along with everything else), and I will be unable to actually push the brake petal to start the car. It's also strange because if you look at the emergency parking light button, it's not actually lit up like it's on. After many attempts to start the car, it will eventually (so far anyways), start up and run like normal.

All these strange issues make me very nervous to actually drive the car. A couple of years ago I was in a serious accident due to the car malfunctioning so this kind of has me in panic mode since I have no idea what's going on. What if the car decides to engage the parking brake while I'm driving with my kids in the car?!

In any case, we took it to our mechanic for an unrelated issue (before this started) and he noticed the parking brake issue before we did. We had him check both batteries but he said they were fine. He also said the only code he found was for the ABS. He recommended that we take it to a dealer since it's still under warranty although he warned us that the dealers near us don't have the best mechanics. We can't get it in until Thursday so I was hoping to get a headstart and see if anyone has encountered anything similar or could at least make me feel less terrified of this car when driving.

Thanks!
This series of events may be associated with the impending failure of your 12v battery and/or your ESS battery if so equipped. If I were you, I would go to a reliable local independent shop and have the battery(s) checked. If there is a problem, you should have the battery(s) replaced. Many forum members have replaced their battery(s) with better quality battery(s). The Chrysler dealer will replace the battery(s) with the OEM battery(s) that is a known issue. If you end up replacing your battery(s), you should ask for battery(s) that can handle charging voltages in excess of 14.4 volts.

Sjambok

2018 Touring L+
Gas
March 2018 Build
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Just heard back from the dealership and they said it was a bad brake actuator (I think I spelled that right). He said it would cause the starting issues and all the other warning lights. I'm not 100% if he's correct on that, but I thought I'd update what he said.
Bond007 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page