Suspension issue or it is "normal" - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Suspension issue or it is "normal"

For some time I noticed increased in my opinion suspension "noises" while driving. Sorry for my lack of better words to describe that, but honestly it is hard to put that sensation into words.
It is not something that squeaks or makes hard bangs or is evidently loose. It feels like every slight imperfection of the road is amplified on minivan's body and it is more annoying on smaller uneven surfaces than bigger bumps. Sometimes when driving on a highway's seams, it feels like small jolts with sound similar to the one when you ride on the train over rails gaps (I may exaggerate here a bit).
Also when I pull into my driveway, there is about half inch level difference and I always have that strange sound.
My daily commute is about 20 miles one way and recently every day it feels like driving a car with very shaky and shivering suspension. It doesn't feel at all as solid and absorbing as I expect from heavier vehicle on tall 17" tires. My wife's Cherokee drives much smoother.
My other suspicion leans toward 17" Yokohama tires? Anyone had similar experience with these tires? Can these be so stiff to transfer all these road things to van's body?

I don't want to go to dealership again without any solid or more precise complain, simply because I did already my fair share of visits to dealership with other issues like idle shakes, grinding slide doors, harsh gears shifts and of course bubbles on the hood, each time I mentioned these suspension's (?) sensations, but each time their answer was that they couldn't find anything wrong or loose and everything is up to mfr's spec and they cannot duplicate symptoms I described....

All your suggestions are highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:08 PM

If you can find a way to replicate it, see if you can take a tech for a drive to replicate and demo the noises.

Sometimes descriptions of issues don't translate well from one person to another and they're shooting blind to try and find an issue if it isn't obvious. If you can sort out how to replicate and demo they can most certainly tell if normal for the vehicle or not.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:49 PM

I had a suspension noise that became increasingly louder until it was something that we definitely noticed. It turns out there is a faulty design with the strut towers and the repair was covered under warranty. There is TSB about it. The noise originated on the front passenger side but both sides were replaced.
Maybe you are at the beginning stages of that issue.
Thundering Banshee likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both for your info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGoat View Post
I had a suspension noise that became increasingly louder until it was something that we definitely noticed. It turns out there is a faulty design with the strut towers and the repair was covered under warranty. There is TSB about it. The noise originated on the front passenger side but both sides were replaced.
Maybe you are at the beginning stages of that issue.

GTGoat, thanks for your info. By any chance you have that TSB number?
6Gen and Thundering Banshee like this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L - Dark Cordovan
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:21 PM

tsb 02-006-17
byab and Thundering Banshee like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGoat View Post
tsb 02-006-17
Thank you.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:30 PM

How many miles on the van?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Gen View Post
How many miles on the van?
20k miles, all stock. 17" wheels.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 06:40 PM

Checked that TSB on AlldataDIY- my 2017 falls within the build dates. Need to inspect top of front struts (remove cowl) for top mount movement, "ovaling" out. Lately, I've been getting a low speed pop from front left - during simultaneous braking and turning.

At 60kmi, my van has a variety of occasional creaks/pops from the front end. No death rattles, just annoyances so far. Tried the TSB that uses penetrating threadlock on the front hub - maybe improved 50%.
byab likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:32 AM

Garage
Our 2017 (gas) Limited has a noise on the left front that sounds like a light basketball dribble over each and every bump in the road. It is most noticeable at low speeds because at highway speeds the normal overall road noise covers-up the issue. Based on this thread, we will certainly reference the tsb mentioned when we have our next checkup.

2017 Pacifica Limited
Red, Fully Loaded 8-Passenger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page