Heated seats hi-Lo grayed out - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Heated seats hi-Lo grayed out

just got a 2018 pacifica limited, and while I swear I was able to beat the seats during the test drive, once we brought the van home a few days later, the seats and steering wheel won’t heat. I turn the car on and the hi-Li setting for the seats heating/ventilation and wheel are grayed out, no matter how I access them (through climate, controls, etc). The second row heaters also aren’t working - thinking it may be a fuse issue but they looked okay when I checked today. Might take to dealership to run diagnostic at least, but wasn’t sure if this was just an easy (if not entirely obvious) fix.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:49 PM

We had a bug when we first got our van that when remote started the buttons would not be available for the duration of the drive through the controls menu until the vehicle was restarted. Our workaround, if I recall, was that the direct "App" buttons in the app menu would function even if they were greyed out in the controls menu.

I believe this must have gotten fixed in a Uconnect update as I haven't had it happen at all this winter yet. I had forgotten about it.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seand13601 View Post
just got a 2018 pacifica limited, and while I swear I was able to beat the seats during the test drive, once we brought the van home a few days later, the seats and steering wheel wonít heat. I turn the car on and the hi-Li setting for the seats heating/ventilation and wheel are grayed out, no matter how I access them (through climate, controls, etc). The second row heaters also arenít working - thinking it may be a fuse issue but they looked okay when I checked today. Might take to dealership to run diagnostic at least, but wasnít sure if this was just an easy (if not entirely obvious) fix.
Thanks

Iím probably overthinking, but did you try it when the engine was running? If you simply turn the ignition button on without pressing the brake pedal (eg inside a closed garage), the electronics will turn on as usual (except the seat and steering wheel heater will be grayed out). I had a minor heartache until I figured it out in my new car when I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SciTchr likes this.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 03:41 AM

Quote:
just got a 2018 pacifica limited, and while I swear I was able to beat the seats during the test drive, once we brought the van home a few days later, the seats and steering wheel won’t heat. I turn the car on and the hi-Li setting for the seats heating/ventilation and wheel are grayed out, no matter how I access them (through climate, controls, etc). The second row heaters also aren’t working - thinking it may be a fuse issue but they looked okay when I checked today. Might take to dealership to run diagnostic at least, but wasn’t sure if this was just an easy (if not entirely obvious) fix.
Thanks
Welcome to the forum. If you put your van info (year, trim, gas/hybrid, etc.) in the signature line of the UserCP it will show up at the bottom of every post. You can download an extensive manual online at the Mopar site.

As @Bond007 mentioned the engine has to be running for the heated seats and steering wheel to work. For them to come on automatically (by using a setting in the UConnect touchscreen), the external temperature has to be below 40F, but you should still be able to turn them on manually when the engine is running. Auto ventilation comes on above 80F.
TomB985 likes this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 01-19-2019 at 01:30 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

I have read various responses to this issue and have not been able to solve mine, which is why I added my own post:
1. I have tried turning the seats on while the engine is on, while I am out and about driving, and while in idle before leaving the garage. The only difference I see between when the engine is not on and when it is is that, instead of the entire button being grayed out as it is when the engine is not on, only the “hi” and “lo” choices are grayed out when the engine is on. I can push the buttons, but they do not turn the heaters on or change color in any way.
2. The rear seat heater buttons also do not light up when pressed to indicate that the heaters are on, either hi or lo. I have not seen this addressed elsewhere either.
3. I have tried going through the screen various ways to get to the seat controls and have had no luck in any instance.

Is anyone aware of any setting that would lock or turn of heated seats, whether it be to conserve battery life,etc? This appears to be the only function in the car that doesn’t work (the “seat controls” screen also in less a rear seat headrest folding button, and that works fine - headrests in the3rd row automatically fold when pressed.

Thanks again!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:07 AM

I think you should visit the dealership and get it sorted since you seem to have covered all the obvious things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:10 AM

A little light reading from the workshop manual:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017 Pacifica Workshop Manual
Heated Seats:

- The heated seat system operates on battery current received through fused ignition switch output (Run) circuits and will only operate when the engine is running.

- The HSM directly provides power to the seat heating elements in the seat cushions and seat backs for seat heating.

- The driver seat heat system and passenger seat heat system each consist of a cushion element connected in parallel with a back element.

- A thermistor sensor feedback from each seat heating element to the HSM is used to regulate the heater outputs to prevent any seats temperature from rising above the set points. If a seat temperature exceeds the set point the HSM automatically disables the system.

- The high level cutoff value range is from 122 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit in increments of 1 degrees Fahrenheit. The typical value is 129 degrees Fahrenheit.

- The low level cutoff value range is from 122 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit in increments of 1 degrees Fahrenheit. The typical value is 131 degrees Fahrenheit.

- The HSM will also turn off the heated seat elements if an open or short in the heating element circuit is detected.

- Each time a heated seat request signal is received by the HSM, the heated seat output will cycle from Off to High, High to Low and Low to Off. (i.e the first press cycles from Off to High, the next press cycles from High to Low and the next press cycles from Low to Off.)

- When the HSM receives the actuation request, the HSM activates the heating element output at the high level and transmits a message on the CAN-I bus to indicate the current output state is high.

- The HSM automatically transitions the output from high to low after a maximum period of 60 minutes has elapsed and transmits a message on the CAN-I bus to indicate the current output state is low.

- The HSM automatically transitions the output from low to off after a maximum period of 45 minutes has elapsed and transmits a message on the CAN-I bus to indicate the current output state is off.

When pressing the heated seat switch:

- A CAN-I bus message request is generated.

- The HSM receives the "Heated Seat request" from the CAN-I bus.

- The HSM broadcasts a confirmation of actuation message over the CAN-I bus.

- The HSM energizes an integral solid-state relay, which supplies Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) current to the heating elements of the designated seat(s).

- The HSM monitors the seat temperature.

The HSM is diagnosed using a scan tool and will automatically turn off the heating elements if it detects an open or low short in a heating element circuit See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC )\Testing and Inspection (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Heated Seat (HSM) - Diagnosis and Testing).
More than likely there is a short in the system of some type and the system disabled itself. It's too smart for its own good IMHO.

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info - I’ll be sure to show to the dealer when asking to run a diagnostic - of course it couldn’t be a DIY fix...!
Much appreciated, will post if I get a resolution.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info - Iíll be sure to show to the dealer when asking to run a diagnostic - of course it couldnít be a DIY fix...!
Much appreciated, will post if I get a resolution.
We've discovered that DIY fixes are few and far between in modern vehicles! It's probably wise to establish a good relationship with your servicing dealer. TIA for reporting back on the resolution.

And please return here often with your gained wisdom as a Pacifica owner. We all depend on each other.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
We've discovered that DIY fixes are few and far between in modern vehicles!
I don't really agree with that.

Modern cars have complex electronic systems, but they have the advantage of being able to tell you where to look for the problem in most cases. A short-circuit is a short circuit, and a modern system like that found on our vans will tell you which one to look for. It takes some more specialized tools, but a capable scan tool is quite inexpensive nowadays. And a lot of older specialized tools are completely obsolete with the advent of said electronic systems. When's the last time anyone bought a timing light? How 'bout a brake spoon or distributor wrench?

DIY fixes should be nonexistent for a van under warranty, so the OP would be doing the same 20 years ago as is today.

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica

Last edited by TomB985; 01-19-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page