Problems Fueling - Fuel pump handle clicks off when tank not full - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Problems Fueling - Fuel pump handle clicks off when tank not full

Has anyone had this problem? It seems to happen at Costco gas stations, when there is about 1/4 tank left to fuel the handle keeps clicking off and makes it extremely frustrating to fuel till full.

Is there something wrong with my tank that's causing the auto-shut off to engage or is this intentional?

I have a 2013 Chrysler 300 with a similar capless system and I have never had trouble fueling it at the same gas station.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:01 PM

When mine's near full, I have to manually hold the pump lever and put the fuel in real slowly. Otherwise, it won't fill all the way up.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzu View Post
Has anyone had this problem? It seems to happen at Costco gas stations, when there is about 1/4 tank left to fuel the handle keeps clicking off and makes it extremely frustrating to fuel till full.

Is there something wrong with my tank that's causing the auto-shut off to engage or is this intentional?

I have a 2013 Chrysler 300 with a similar capless system and I have never had trouble fueling it at the same gas station.
Its pretty well documented and I have experienced this myself at certain gas stations. I found the best way to prevent it is to hold the pump nozzle at about 45 degrees or so in the filler instead of straight up and down. This seems to help stop it. I find only certain pumps have this problem. I guess it depends on the flow rate between different gas pumps. Just turn the nozzle a little and it should fill without too many problems.
craig and Thundering Banshee like this.

2017 Bright white Limited
Black/alloy, advanced safety pack,
U-connect theater. Tri-pane roof. Verde Invictus 22"
Quite a few custom modifications and lots more to come .

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:57 PM

I use Costco gas 90% of the time - have always pumped gas on the first click. Even in our Jeep, lets the gas even out between the baffles to get a proper top off. Least that’s my theory and I’m sticking to it.

2018 Pacifica Limited Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
Uconnect® Theater with Streaming and Sound
Interior Protection Package
Trailer Tow Group
Advanced SafetyTec Group
KeySense
8–Passenger Seating & 20–Inch Wheel Group
Delete Vacuum / Add Spare Tire
Front and Rear Splash Guards
Engine Block Heater
Lifetime Warranty w/ $100 Deductible
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:29 AM

I have this problem with all of my cars (not just Pacifica) at certain pumps. I try not to push the nozzle in completely and it works usually. The problem is with the pump I think.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 11:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlPacifica View Post
Its pretty well documented and I have experienced this myself at certain gas stations. I found the best way to prevent it is to hold the pump nozzle at about 45 degrees or so in the filler instead of straight up and down. This seems to help stop it. I find only certain pumps have this problem. I guess it depends on the flow rate between different gas pumps. Just turn the nozzle a little and it should fill without too many problems.
Yeah, I hold the rear of the pump handle into an upward position. It is not very comfortable for ones wrist, but the fuel gets to the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 04:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzu View Post

I have a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica, I have to pump gas very slowly it doesn't matter how much gas is in the tank very frustrating especially here in Maine winter.
Cisco Arris likes this.

2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring Gas
(Granite Crystal Metallic Clear Coat)
Build Date 2/17
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to try some of these suggestions later today.

I dread gassing up my pacifica, otherwise it's a fantastic car.
Cisco Arris likes this.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited in Bright White with Black Interior. All options except for charging pad.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 08:12 PM

Yes, I always gas up at Costco for their Top Tier gas, and always put the pump lever setting on the first (slowest) detent. Might irritate people in line behind me, but they probably don't even notice it. At least I don't fiddle with my wallet trying to find my card, put the card in upside down, then backwards, then drop it, then clean off the dirt, then...

2018 Pacifica Touring L Plus (gas)
Built April 10, 2018 (Tuesday)
Molten silver exterior
Toffee cognac alloy interior (gray carpeting)
Advanced Safety Tech
18" tire/wheel group (Michelin Premier tires)
Spare tire kit w/tire, sealer and inflator
Mopar Lifetime warranty

Mods:
Lumar AIR 80 front side window tint.
Maxpider Kagu front mats (with thanks to thread started by Chase023 in Accessories and Add Ons forum).
Alla 7443 LED brake/turn signal bulbs (with thanks to Josef15111 sticky in Electronics forum).
iJDMTOY Amber CAN-bus PWY24W LED front turn signal bulbs (credit same Josef15111 sticky).
JDM ASTAR 1200 lumens LED backup bulbs (with thanks to KorbenD in LED Replacement Lights topic of Electronics subforum).
Catizon H11 LEDs CREE for fogs (with thanks to Stop-Eject in LED Replacement Lights topic; and for his instructions).
VLED Micro LED 9011 low-beams (with thanks to Fast55 for advice on beam pattern)
Viofo A119S dash cam (have A118 on my 4Runner)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

So I tried fueling today with the pump handle lifted up instead of letting it rest in the standard "locked" position and it fueled without issue.

Will continue to test to make sure this isn't a one-off time it worked right, this was tested with a pump at Costco in San Jose.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited in Bright White with Black Interior. All options except for charging pad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page