Likely alternator failure - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Likely alternator failure

Good evening everyone,

My van sits in the driveway most days while I drive my 12-year-old Prius because of operating costs. With the brutally cold weather I decide to take the van, figuring it was less likely to leave me stranded. Or not.

Fortunately I was a mile from the dealer when it happened. I'm now in a loaner Cherokee while they figure it out. I'm guessing the alternator didn't like the cold...this has been the most unreliable vehicle I think I've owned. Nothing major, just constant minor glitches. This is the second one that would have left me stranded if I didn't get it to the dealer ASAP. Kiiinda frustrated.

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 10:36 PM

I have owned a LOT of vehicles.
In my experience, alternators (and starters) go out randomly, unpredictably.
sjambok likes this.

2018 Touring L
Collapsible spare tire kit
WeatherTech window deflectors, floor mats, and cargo liner
State-issued Vietnam Veteran License plate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
Good evening everyone,

My van sits in the driveway most days while I drive my 12-year-old Prius because of operating costs. With the brutally cold weather I decide to take the van, figuring it was less likely to leave me stranded. Or not.

Fortunately I was a mile from the dealer when it happened. I'm now in a loaner Cherokee while they figure it out. I'm guessing the alternator didn't like the cold...this has been the most unreliable vehicle I think I've owned. Nothing major, just constant minor glitches. This is the second one that would have left me stranded if I didn't get it to the dealer ASAP. Kiiinda frustrated.
While it may be the alternator, you might want to also check the build date of your van. My OEM battery (non ESS) was a 2 year battery and at about 28 months and 33,000 miles or so managed to throw some codes so the dealer checked the battery and it failed the test before it left me stranded. (They did replace the battery under the three year factory warranty somehow.)

I'm not surprised that the extreme cold would be enough to finish off your battery. It will be interesting to see if your van's alternator has a problem. Why do you think it is the alternator vs just a dead battery? You actually got the red battery symbol. I've wondered where it was supposed to show up. I'm still trying to figure out that gauge and if it can help prevent a problem.
Bond007 and sjambok like this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 01-31-2019 at 01:25 AM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciTchr View Post
While it may be the alternator, you might want to also check the build date of your van. My OEM battery (non ESS) was a 2 year battery and at about 28 months and 33,000 miles or so managed to throw some codes so the dealer checked the battery and it failed the test before it left me stranded. (They did replace the battery under the three year factory warranty somehow.)
I've seen failing batteries cause some mysterious electrical issues, but nothing quite like this. I've also seen batteries fail in only a few years; the battery in my Escape only made it three years. They can also last a long time, though...I just replaced the factory 12v battery in my 2006 Prius two months ago.

Quote:
I'm not surprised that the extreme cold would be enough to finish off your battery. It will be interesting to see if your van's alternator has a problem. Why do you think it is the alternator vs just a dead battery? You actually got the red battery symbol. I've wondered where it was supposed to show up. I'm still trying to figure out that gauge and if it can help prevent a problem.
I'm fairly sure it's an alternator because of the symptoms. Over the years I've diagnosed and repaired at least a half-dozen alternators, and the symptoms were all like this. The car starts and runs fine, but the alternator doesn't make any power, which causes voltage to drop as the battery powers the car. After about a half-hour of running, the battery starts to fail and systems will shut down eventually leaving you dead in the water.

My van started up just fine, and ran well for over 100 miles yesterday on a few different trips. It was in the middle of a short trip across town that I got a "Charging System Failure" message and battery light. I scroll to the battery voltage and see what I posted above, which indicates the alternator wasn't making power. I drive right to the dealer, shut it off in the bay. It started perfectly fine at least twice more as they moved it up in the bay, then out to their lot after checking in, all the while with the warning light and message displayed.

Contrary to popular belief, cold weather doesn't kill batteries. Up here it's not uncommon for batteries to last 7-10 years or more, just like the one in my Prius. Cold will certainly reveal a weak battery, though.
SciTchr likes this.

2019 Tesla Model 3

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 09:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
I've seen failing batteries cause some mysterious electrical issues, but nothing quite like this. I've also seen batteries fail in only a few years; the battery in my Escape only made it three years. They can also last a long time, though...I just replaced the factory 12v battery in my 2006 Prius two months ago.

I'm fairly sure it's an alternator because of the symptoms. Over the years I've diagnosed and repaired at least a half-dozen alternators, and the symptoms were all like this. The car starts and runs fine, but the alternator doesn't make any power, which causes voltage to drop as the battery powers the car. After about a half-hour of running, the battery starts to fail and systems will shut down eventually leaving you dead in the water.

My van started up just fine, and ran well for over 100 miles yesterday on a few different trips. It was in the middle of a short trip across town that I got a "Charging System Failure" message and battery light. I scroll to the battery voltage and see what I posted above, which indicates the alternator wasn't making power. I drive right to the dealer, shut it off in the bay. It started perfectly fine at least twice more as they moved it up in the bay, then out to their lot after checking in, all the while with the warning light and message displayed.

Contrary to popular belief, cold weather doesn't kill batteries. Up here it's not uncommon for batteries to last 7-10 years or more, just like the one in my Prius. Cold will certainly reveal a weak battery, though.
Was the 11.2 volts with the van running? Hope they get it sorted out quickly and you post the diagnosis.

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimemopar View Post

Was the 11.2 volts with the van running? Hope they get it sorted out quickly and you post the diagnosis.
Yep, that was with the van running and idling in gear. I couldn’t get over 11.3v from when it failed to when I shut it down at the dealer. Pretty typical of a failed alternator in my opinion, it went out like flipping off a switch, It never strayed below 14v before this point.

2019 Tesla Model 3

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:

I appreciate the explanation. I'm glad that the van had a message about the charging system with the battery light. It seems like someone else recently had an alternator problem. Thanks for posting.
Bond007 and TomB985 like this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

I don’t have an update, they haven’t called me yet. They told me they may be able to get to it this afternoon, but they weren’t certain. Which is fine, they gave me a pretty nice loaner, and I always enjoy something different for a bit. As frustrated as I am with my van, they are probably more eager to get their loaner back then I am to get my van.

That will change over the weekend, though. I miss my power doors!
Bond007 likes this.

2019 Tesla Model 3

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Yup, it is confirmed to be a failed alternator. I dodged a bullet, I've got 104 miles left on the factory warranty. They have it ordered, but it looks like they won't get it in until the middle of next week.

I can't complain, they gave me a brand-new Cherokee Trailhawk with 100 miles on the odometer as a loaner. I've got to say Chrysler has the nicest loaner fleet I've ever seen, all of the Fords I've ever gotten loaners in years past have been subcompacts. It's a shame I spent so many miles behind the wheel of a Chrysler loaner, though…
SciTchr, Bond007 and Longtimemopar like this.

2019 Tesla Model 3

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 09:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yup, it is confirmed to be a failed alternator. I dodged a bullet, I've got 104 miles left on the factory warranty. They have it ordered, but it looks like they won't get it in until the middle of next week.

I can't complain, they gave me a brand-new Cherokee Trailhawk with 100 miles on the odometer as a loaner. I've got to say Chrysler has the nicest loaner fleet I've ever seen, all of the Fords I've ever gotten loaners in years past have been subcompacts. It's a shame I spent so many miles behind the wheel of a Chrysler loaner, though…
Really glad that this happened under warranty. Wonder what the cost would be without the warranty???

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page