Android Auto won't use the vehicle's GPS Antenna anymore. - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By irpilot

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Android Auto won't use the vehicle's GPS Antenna anymore.

After the July 2018 uConnect update, Google Maps on Android Auto in my gas 2018 Limited stopped using the vehicle's GPS antenna. It started when my wife and I still had our Galaxy S8/S9, and has continued when we got our Pixel 3s in November.

When connected to the car and Google Maps is in use, the icon on the phone's status bar that signifies the phone's location is being used is always on. The only way to get reliable GPS signal is to keep the phone on the dash (which will overheat the phone on a sunny day), or leave the moon roof open. I've verified that the vehicle's GPS antenna still works by using the Pacifica's built-in navigation.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I saw it mentioned starting at post #103 near the end of the "OTA issued July 14th 2018" thread in the Hybrid sub-forum. (Sorry, first post so can't include the link).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Android auto has never used the in vehicle gps module for Google maps, waze, etc. All the GPS data come from your phone.

2017 PACIFICA LIMITED GRANITE CRYSTAL METALLIC, BLACK ALLOY, SAFETY TEC, UCONNECT THEATER/SOUND, 20" WHEELS. DELIVERED 09/12/16.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpilot View Post
Android auto has never used the in vehicle gps module for Google maps, waze, etc. All the GPS data come from your phone.
How certain are you about this? I've read that Android Auto apps are able to make use of the car's GPS receiver if its enabled.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Android Auto will use all sources (Car GPS - if available, phone GPS, phone network location) and will use and aggregate of this, however CAR GPS will be the one with more weight compared to the other sources.

In the first half of 2018, AA Google Maps would use my Pacifica's GPS antenna but Waze would not, because Waze does not use the the FusedLocation API ([per this link](https://productforums.google.com/for...A/gvFPCCW9BgAJ)). But after the July OTA, AA Google Maps for all our phones stopped using the Pacifica's GPS antenna, as well.

Last edited by thesourgin; 02-01-2019 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Edited because I'm new to this and apparently have trouble with copy/paste
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesourgin View Post
Android Auto will use all sources (Car GPS - if available, phone GPS, phone network location) and will use and aggregate of this, however CAR GPS will be the one with more weight compared to the other sources.

In the first half of 2018, AA Google Maps would use my Pacifica's GPS antenna but Waze would not, because Waze does not use the the FusedLocation API ([per this link](https://productforums.google.com/for...A/gvFPCCW9BgAJ)). But after the July OTA, AA Google Maps for all our phones stopped using the Pacifica's GPS antenna, as well.

We can all post random info from the internet but it doesn't make it true. Here's a link to the API you just randomly posted from some dude named Peter actually does.

https://developer.android.com/traini...trieve-current
Maybe_Wayb likes this.

2017 PACIFICA LIMITED GRANITE CRYSTAL METALLIC, BLACK ALLOY, SAFETY TEC, UCONNECT THEATER/SOUND, 20" WHEELS. DELIVERED 09/12/16.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

We can all post random info from the internet but it doesn't make it true. Here's a link to the API you just randomly posted from some dude named Peter actually does.

https://developer.android.com/traini...trieve-current
Fair enough. Please disregard any mention I made of Waze, APIs, or antennas, since I am not a developer or engineer for any of those, and cannot accurately speak to how they all interact. Conversely, if you'd like to provide some sources for how you are certain that "Android auto has never used the in vehicle gps module for Google maps, waze, etc. All the GPS data come from your phone", I would welcome them.

Regardless, I'd still like some feedback from others. Prior to the July 2018 update, I used to be able to put my phone anywhere in the car (space under the stereo, in front of the console, on the floor, in my sock (j/k!), WHEREVER!) and get precise location in Google Maps. Since the update, I have to put my phone where it can see the sky to avoid location issues. Had anyone had this same problem?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Fair enough. Please disregard any mention I made of Waze, APIs, or antennas, since I am not a developer or engineer for any of those, and cannot accurately speak to how they all interact. Conversely, if you'd like to provide some sources for how you are certain that "Android auto has never used the in vehicle gps module for Google maps, waze, etc. All the GPS data come from your phone", I would welcome them.

Regardless, I'd still like some feedback from others. Prior to the July 2018 update, I used to be able to put my phone anywhere in the car (space under the stereo, in front of the console, on the floor, in my sock (j/k!), WHEREVER!) and get precise location in Google Maps. Since the update, I have to put my phone where it can see the sky to avoid location issues. Had anyone had this same problem?

I'm like you. I have to put my phone in a mount near the Uconnect screen to get accurate gps data. Unfortunately, I have a 2017 and haven't had Android auto as long as you have.

In regard to Android, your pixel 3s have pie which is pretty stingy in regards to permissions for battery optimization. One thing to try is to disable battery optimization for Google maps, Waze , location services, and Android auto. Maybe these apps are not utilizing gps at high accuracy when being optimized? In pie on my phone, Google maps, waze, and location services are optimizing battery usage. Might want to disable battery optimization on all 3 and see if it makes a difference. If it does help, it'll be at the cost of some battery life.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:29 PM

It used to work for us with either of our phones. After the update, we have to keep our phones exposed or we will get the no GPS available warning.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:31 PM

It used to work for us with either of our phones. After the update, we have to keep our phones exposed or we will get the no GPS available warning. We use Google Maps.

When this happens switching to the in-car navigation system there is no problem with GPS reception.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:47 PM

One thing I have noticed is that if I have my Samsung S8 in Battery Saving Mode, it turns off background GPS usage. So when the screen turns off for a couple of minutes, the GPS signal will drop. To get reliable GPS, you have to make sure you are running Optimized Mode.

Tags
android auto , gps , uconnect

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page