2019 Pacifica Hybrid - EV won't hold charge - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By drewidia

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 2019 Pacifica Hybrid - EV won't hold charge

I have a 2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited ... I'm not exactly sure how to describe my issue execpt to say the EV Battery seems to discharge way too fast. I get maybe 11-15 miles city driving and I drive slowly - no gunning it or anything.

When we bought the car in December of 18 I used to get about 30 miles +/- on the EV charge (depending on temp). We had 350 miles on the fuel tank ... then came the "car's self tuning"... it ran the motor to calibrate the gas for 6 days (no EV) and eventually I had to fill up .. then car said the battery needed conditioning message came up. That's when it went from bad to worse.

A few days later the car basically won't hold an EV charge - the same EV range i had when i bought the car is now <50%...

I'm not sure how much a full tank of gas and 100% EV should show for range but I get 250-275 now and after charging to 100% 5 bars... I went 800 miles on my first tank of gas with nightly EV plug ins...now i fillup once every couple weeks week and i'm at 1800 miles.

This morning I started out driving and I go from 100% on the way to the highway (1 mile away) and i was down to 80%.. i didn't see it drop only that when I got there the range dropped from 34 miles EV to 20... and I was able to get about 11 before the <1% came up... It was 45 degrees outside and I had been hoping it was some crazy thing with the weather...

Could it be a bad battery or 2 in the EV pack?

I'm going to call the dealer but don't even know how to explain what might be the issue....

Love the car otherwise.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:55 PM

Whereabouts are you located? The consensus is that 45 degrees is too warm to have the ICE (gas engine) kick on which would help with the interior heat, yet it's cold enough that the electric heat has to blast to warm up the interior, which is a lot to warm up, which consequently chews up a lot of the battery, so electric range can be greatly reduced, and sorry for the run-on sentence.

Have you tried turning the climate controls off and just use seat/steering warmers and see what your range is?

2019 Hybrid Limited Black with bird poop accents, S Package, Froot Loops, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, it was overcast
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frig View Post
Whereabouts are you located? The consensus is that 45 degrees is too warm to have the ICE (gas engine) kick on which would help with the interior heat, yet it's cold enough that the electric heat has to blast to warm up the interior, which is a lot to warm up, which consequently chews up a lot of the battery, so electric range can be greatly reduced, and sorry for the run-on sentence.

Have you tried turning the climate controls off and just use seat/steering warmers and see what your range is?
Thank you for the reply.

I'm in Chicago. so basically the theory is the electric toaster is potentially draining the battery... I will try turning off the climate and see if it gets better

We do love the "Lots of interior though"... just need to get the PHEV part figured out and we're golden.
Frig likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:34 PM

Ah Chicago....(I'm around Chicago too) winter time you should only expect 15-20mile out of 100% charge if you aren't taking extra steps to pre-condition and mitigate (which is alot of extra work and most people aren't worth their time), now that its warming back up expect to see the miles for full battery to slowly climb back into the upper 20s/low 30s, if the condition are right i have eeked out almost 40mpg.

If you want to go through the trouble here are some steps you can take
1) for a set time commute and if you have a smart level 2 240v charger, scheduled the VAN to finish charging right before you leave for work (240v charging will warm up the battery, so you dont need gas or toaster to warm it up, battery doesn't work well if its too cold, the van will warm the battery if its too cold)
2) if you have a 240v charger, pre-warm your cabin, DO NOT USE the remote start in a closed garage, rather WITHOUT pressing the brake press the start button twice and make sure the climate control is on. This way it force the toaster to warm up the cabin while you are plugged in and charging.
3) if it's just you or front passenger, once you are driving turn off the cabin climate control and just use the seat warmer/steering wheel warmer, that's a good compromise between no heat and toaster heat. but you may need to turn on the climate every so often to clear the windshield of condensation.

The "self tuning" sounds like "Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode / FORM" cause by either stale gas (more likely in summer time) or lots of short trip causing potential condensation to collect in the oil (oil has to reach a certain temp to burn off the water). unfortunately you don't know which is which. a rule of thumb to get out of that mode is 1) fill up with gas, if that doesnt fix it then 2) drive for long trips 30mins-1hours plus or 3) let the car idle for 15-30 minutes.

1 will fix fuel refresh
2, 3 will fix oil refresh

the oil has to reach a certain temperature for a certain duration to exit oil refresh mode, #3 won't empty your tank as onc ethe car exit FORM it will go back to electric mode which mean the ICE is off. Just dont' do it in an enclosed garage as you don't want to be poison by car exhaust.

Last edited by Bitslizer; 03-18-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page