2017 Pacifica Hood Corrosion - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 2017 Pacifica Hood Corrosion

Hi there. I am actually the admin and webmaster of the Chrysler Sebring Convertible Club ( www .sebringclub .net )... so I am very familiar with Chryslers. I've also owned every generation of Chrysler minivan.

Now, I've seen the Chrysler Town & Country's / Dodge Caravan's multiple generations (3rd/4th/5th) get serious rust issues starting at the 5 year mark (the 2nd/3rd gen being the worst). It usually affects the hood/rear lift-gate/rockers. However, - myself personally? I have never owned a vehicle (that I've purchased new/slightly used) that has gotten rust /corrosion problems.... as I wash/care for my vehicles religiously. Sure rust happens on the undercarriage, but I never experience rust through either (ie: rust rot).

My 2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus is now 2 years old w/ 16,000 miles. I've owned it since July, 2017. My front hood is actually bubbling on the front lip. And not just a little, there are bubbles/cracking all along the front lip of the hood. I only noticed this after I was at church and saw the sunshine reflecting off the hood. I looked and thought.... naaaaahhhh, and then felt the hood lip. Sure enough, over 15 corrosion bubbles/cracking. The only way I think this could have happened, is that the car (when it was manufactured) had moisture on the hood right when the primer and then paint were applied.

So, I went to the local Chrysler dealership. I asked the service manager to come outside and look at an issue on my car. He came out, and then I showed him. He went back in, got a digital camera, came back out.... and took close up pictures (so he could send them to Chrysler HQ). I asked him, how is it possible a $43,000 vehicle could be rusting within the first 2 years... especially when the car is maintained/washed regularly. He then said to me "I see it all of the time"). I said... "really"? He said yup. I then told him how many cars I've owned in the past 30 years (over at least 10 Chrysler products), and never have I seen this happen so quickly. He then said something that floored me. He said "well, that's what warranties are for"). So, now I need to get it on a lift to see if the rockers are rusting also. And if they are....... I will declare war on FCA as their process' obviously are flawed (this rust came on as fast as rust happened to Vega's and Valare's in the 70's).

I planned on having this vehicle for 20 years (as I LOVE it and enjoy every aspect of it)..... now - I am concerned.

Any thoughts from you fellow Pacifica owners? Anybody else having the same problem? And is this corrosion (or rust) happening to any other part of your Pacifica...... especially the rockers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:48 PM

Your service manager did not tell you the whole story. What you are experiencing is a specific time frame production process problem limited to the lip of the aluminium hood. There is at least one service bulletin about the problem. Chrysler has been getting it repaired at no cost to the owner. This has nothing to do with the rest of the vehicle.

That service manager is a jerk. Tell him I said so! There is no reason for him to keep you in the dark about the nature of that problem. He is the typical type that gives car dealerships a bad name.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
Your service manager did not tell you the whole story. What you are experiencing is a specific time frame production process problem limited to the lip of the aluminium hood. There is at least one service bulletin about the problem. Chrysler has been getting it repaired at no cost to the owner. This has nothing to do with the rest of the vehicle.

That service manager is a jerk. Tell him I said so! There is no reason for him to keep you in the dark about the nature of that problem. He is the typical type that gives car dealerships a bad name.
Oh, I was definitely thinking I wasn't getting the whole story.... which is how I found this forum/website (trying to research if it was a problem for others also). I have no problem with warranty repair (do you have the service bulletin information that you could link to?). I just am afraid this will be a constant headache for the long term owner (I plan on keeping this Pacifica for over 10 years).

As for the service manager, I agree. The dealership (Benoy Motors) used to be a locally owned dealership until a year ago (sleepy town type of dealership with people who cared & who didn't treat people like they are morons). Kunes Country (a dealership chain) took it over and with them came the sleazy types (high pressure everything). I am a decent back yard mechanic and know a little bit more than the average consumer. I maintain my Chrysler 200 Convertible (the basics), and I know how these complicated systems can go awry. Usually, when I engage the service department... I am very detailed so the guy understands he isn't dealing with a regular customer.

Him telling me "that's what a warranty is for".... for such an expensive vehicle - is why Chrysler continues to have the reputation it has (no lexus, lincoln, toyota dealership would have said that). if it wants to continue going upscale in the market, it had better address this more professionally and nip this in the bud.

By the way, what "time frame" does this issue cover (regarding production/manufacture date) if you don't mind me asking?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarine1 View Post
Oh, I was definitely thinking I wasn't getting the whole story.... which is how I found this forum/website (trying to research if it was a problem for others also). I have no problem with warranty repair (do you have the service bulletin information that you could link to?). I just am afraid this will be a constant headache for the long term owner (I plan on keeping this Pacifica for over 10 years).

As for the service manager, I agree. The dealership (Benoy Motors) used to be a locally owned dealership until a year ago (sleepy town type of dealership with people who cared & who didn't treat people like they are morons). Kunes Country (a dealership chain) took it over and with them came the sleazy types (high pressure everything). I am a decent back yard mechanic and know a little bit more than the average consumer. I maintain my Chrysler 200 Convertible (the basics), and I know how these complicated systems can go awry. Usually, when I engage the service department... I am very detailed so the guy understands he isn't dealing with a regular customer.

Him telling me "that's what a warranty is for".... for such an expensive vehicle - is why Chrysler continues to have the reputation it has (no lexus, lincoln, toyota dealership would have said that). if it wants to continue going upscale in the market, it had better address this more professionally and nip this in the bud.

By the way, what "time frame" does this issue cover (regarding production/manufacture date) if you don't mind me asking?
I haven't noticed paint bubbles yet on my white van hood.
I don't have the answers to your questions, but here is a long thread about the issue if you are interested.
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...to_threadtools
CentralFla likes this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:14 PM

I don't know the answer to your questions about the service bulletin or exact time frame, but if your hood shows the problem, your vehicle was built during that period.

Your hood is aluminum, and aluminum does not "rust" in the classic "iron oxide" sense. certain chemical reactions can cause it to pit, which is what apparently happened here. Prepping aluminum to receive paint is a different process than priming steel. Chrysler knows what happened, and, as others have pointed out, is fixing it at their cost. The picture your service manager took was not to show Chrysler what happened, but they want those pictures to document the cost for tax accounting purposed.

Anyway, this is not a harbinger of future rust problems. Your van body has been rust protected using the latest techniques.

By the way, just a suggestion here: if you have future issues of any kind, citing the price ($43K) as a reason it shouldn't happen sounds a mite shrill. The service managers have a tough job. They do remember the customers who are nice to them.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)

Past . . .
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
By the way, just a suggestion here: if you have future issues of any kind, citing the price ($43K) as a reason it shouldn't happen sounds a mite shrill. The service managers have a tough job. They do remember the customers who are nice to them.
I wasn't being a douche (if that's what you mean). And I am also always respectful in my interactions (I used to be a Director of IT and went through these issues when dealing with customers myself and the last thing I did was to excuse any problems with saying "at least that's what the warranty is for")... if there were any issues that started showing a larger problem that would affect more than one customer - I made sure that if it was a production run problem... that the manufacturer had a identified solution and I would be pro-active to let other customers know because warranty or not... time is money and they don't want the same issues cropping up time and again whenever they purchase a product at my recommendation).

Also - this isn't the first Chrysler Aluminum Hood problem either (in my research - they had issues with the Town & Country hoods also), they should have worked the kinks out by now... especially with a halo vehicle that is being touted for fully automated transport. And $43,000 IS still a lot of money (especially to a person on a fixed income).

Listen - I know the guy doesn't have an easy job, but indicating something is happening a lot does not inspire confidence in the product (warranty or not)... especially since I have been using this dealership for 25 years (and the ownership just changed... and not for the better). To be honest, I really don't care if the Service Manager thinks it a mite shrill (his skin should be thick enough to hear somebody being concerned), every Chrysler I have owned from new has never had this problem and there should be a reasonable explanation for a large amount of hood repaints for their latest & greatest vehicle. I just don't want to be doing this every couple of years and when the warranty runs out - be stuck with yet another repaint - this time at my cost.

Just sayin'

Last edited by amarine1; 03-23-2019 at 02:08 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarine1 View Post
I wasn't being a douche (if that's what you mean). And I am also always respectful in my interactions (I used to be a Director of IT and went through these issues when dealing with customers myself and the last thing I did was to excuse any problems with saying "at least that's what the warranty is for")... if there were any issues that started showing a larger problem that would affect more than one customer - I made sure that if it was a production run problem... that the manufacturer had a identified solution and I would be pro-active to let other customers know because warranty or not... time is money and they don't want the same issues cropping up time and again whenever they purchase a product at my recommendation).

Also - this isn't the first Chrysler Aluminum Hood problem either (in my research - they had issues with the Town & Country hoods also), they should have worked the kinks out by now... especially with a halo vehicle that is being touted for fully automated transport. And $43,000 IS still a lot of money (especially to a person on a fixed income).

Listen - I know the guy doesn't have an easy job, but indicating something is happening a lot does not inspire confidence in the product (warranty or not)... especially since I have been using this dealership for 25 years (and the ownership just changed... and not for the better). To be honest, I really don't care if the Service Manager thinks it a mite shrill (his skin should be thick enough to hear somebody being concerned), every Chrysler I have owned from new has never had this problem and there should be a reasonable explanation for a large amount of hood repaints for their latest & greatest vehicle. I just don't want to be doing this every couple of years and when the warranty runs out - be stuck with yet another repaint - this time at my cost.

Just sayin'
You are right. I was not aware that the hood bubbles date back several years to the Town & Country. Chrysler should have fixed it before the start of Pacifica production. I'm not sure when it first started on the T&C, but they are also repairing many of them beyond the warranty. The Dodge Caravan hoods are also involved.

Because the bubbles appear only on the leading edge, it would be reasonable to assume that it has something to do with the application process. I hope they have really solved the problem.

My point about the price reference is that this should not happen on any vehicle, even a $13K one. Cost is irrelevant. FYI, here is a service article on a similar Cadillac problem. We can hope your dealer's paint shop understands the repair is complicated, and does it correctly.

Past . . .
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:49 PM
DRZ

I had this issue on my 2014 Chrysler T & C (2 years old at the time) and now again on my 2 year old Pacifica. I haven't been to the dealer yet to complain about my 2017 yet, but Chrysler put a brand new hood (under warranty) on my 2014 T & C and I have since sold that vehicle to a friend of mine who hasn't had a re-occurrence of the corrosion in what is now four years later...

CHRYSLER PACIFICA LIMITED
Exterior Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat Exterior
Interior Color: Black / Diesel Interior Colors
Engine: 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine with ESS,
Customer Preferred Package 27P, Uconnect® Theater w/
20-Speaker Harman Kardon Sound Goup,
Advanced SafetyTec Group, KeySense, 20" Wheels
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:37 PM

My hood is doing it too. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer after they took pictures and sent them to Chrysler. I thought the hood was fiberglass?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7674.jpg (210.2 KB, 25 views)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:01 PM

My 2017 did the same thing. Chrysler refused to replace the entire hood, instead they had the body shop sand it down, prime and re-paint it. I no longer own that pacifica. I turned it in on a new 2018 and am hoping it doesn't have the same issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page