Lift gate Malfunction - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Lift gate Malfunction

Anybody have a clue about what type of screws the liftgate latch is mounted to the door with? There are 3 screws, they have triangular driver slots in them can’t find a triangle head screw driver anywhere. I’m going to replace the electronic latch mechanism as the lift gate will not open, with the Fob, the driver ceiling console button, or the rear interior or rear exterior electric switches. The so called manual release lever behind the plastic access door does not open the lift gate either. I took it to the dealer, they said they were not sure what was wrong but were going to replace the latching mechanism for approx $350.00. I got the part, but can’t find a driver bit to remove these screws.

Last edited by DRDDRH; 03-25-2019 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Here is a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6FD76237-BD99-4C51-B6A2-AB90C22E58FF_1553560264109.jpg (161.6 KB, 46 views)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDDRH View Post
Here is a pic
You'll need a torx bit for that, not a triangle.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Bond007, froglips, Lily and 1 others like this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

You just blew my mind, looks triangular, like some security screws, but on second exam those 3 cuts thru the triangle make a six sided start configuration ie Torx. D’oh!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
You just blew my mind, looks triangular, like some security screws, but on second exam those 3 cuts thru the triangle make a six sided start configuration ie Torx. D’oh!
Classic!

K.I.S.S.

2018 Pacifica Limited Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
Uconnect® Theater with Streaming and Sound
Interior Protection Package
Trailer Tow Group
Advanced SafetyTec Group
KeySense
8–Passenger Seating & 20–Inch Wheel Group
Delete Vacuum / Add Spare Tire
Front and Rear Splash Guards
Engine Block Heater
Lifetime Warranty w/ $100 Deductible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:00 AM

The first tool to come to mind was a Torx T-30 bit. It is used in changing out the rear turn signal/stop light bulbs as well as the engine plastic intake manifold cover. Just guessing here.

2018 Pacifica Touring L Plus (gas)
Built April 10, 2018 (Tuesday)
Molten silver exterior
Toffee cognac alloy interior (gray carpeting)
Advanced Safety Tech
18" tire/wheel group (Michelin Premier tires)
Spare tire kit w/tire, sealer and inflator
Mopar Lifetime warranty

Mods:
Lumar AIR 80 front side window tint.
Maxpider Kagu front mats (with thanks to thread started by Chase023 in Accessories and Add Ons forum).
Alla 7443 LED brake/turn signal bulbs (with thanks to Josef15111 sticky in Electronics forum).
iJDMTOY Amber CAN-bus PWY24W LED front turn signal bulbs (credit same Josef15111 sticky).
JDM ASTAR 1200 lumens LED backup bulbs (with thanks to KorbenD in LED Replacement Lights topic of Electronics subforum).
Catizon H11 LEDs CREE for fogs (with thanks to Stop-Eject in LED Replacement Lights topic; and for his instructions).
VLED Micro LED 9011 low-beams (with thanks to Fast55 for advice on beam pattern)
Viofo A119S dash cam (have A118 on my 4Runner)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

I replaced the latch mechanism easily after removing the 3 screws, lift gate back to normal operation. Thanks all!
Bond007 and brado1 like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Anybody have a clue about what type of screws the liftgate latch is mounted to the door with? There are 3 screws, they have triangular driver slots in them can’t find a triangle head screw driver anywhere. I’m going to replace the electronic latch mechanism as the lift gate will not open, with the Fob, the driver ceiling console button, or the rear interior or rear exterior electric switches. The so called manual release lever behind the plastic access door does not open the lift gate either. I took it to the dealer, they said they were not sure what was wrong but were going to replace the latching mechanism for approx $350.00. I got the part, but can’t find a driver bit to remove these screws.
I am also having liftgate issues. None of the switches work, the liftgate won't open manually either. I took it to the dealer and had the latch replaced, this did not rectify the problem. I'm taking it to a different dealership to see if they can figure this out. Is there anyone out there who has had this problem and come up with a solution?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I replaced the latch mechanism easily after removing the 3 screws, lift gate back to normal operation. Thanks all!

How much did it cost you personally? You said the dealership quoted $350, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Part was $150.00 took 15 minutes to replace

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page