• 1 Post By Longtimemopar
  • 2 Post By Smaz
  • 2 Post By Maybe_Wayb
  • 1 Post By Sunny1
  • 1 Post By thclimer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Oil leak issue

My wife took our car to the dealer for an oil change when I was out of town. They mistakenly didn’t tighten the oil filter correctly. Oil light came on on her way home. She texted the dealer and dealer said they just forgot to reset the light. No issue. She thought she heard some noises in the engine. Dealer said next time you’re around we can check it out. Then the sound got really bad. Took it to a local shop. No oil on the stick. Replenished the oil. Dealer is telling us, without even checking, that no damage occurred to the engine. What’s the likelihood that is true? The local service guy who listened to the engine before the oil was restored said that the engine was unlikely to last more than another three months. What’s the best way to check? Only had 25k miles. Should the dealer give us a new engine? What’s the right remedy? What more info can I give you to better answer the question? We usually keep our cars for 10 years or more and I don’t want the car to break down with my wife and kids in the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny1 View Post
My wife took our car to the dealer for an oil change when I was out of town. They mistakenly didn’t tighten the oil filter correctly. Oil light came on on her way home. She texted the dealer and dealer said they just forgot to reset the light. No issue. She thought she heard some noises in the engine. Dealer said next time you’re around we can check it out. Then the sound got really bad. Took it to a local shop. No oil on the stick. Replenished the oil. Dealer is telling us, without even checking, that no damage occurred to the engine. What’s the likelihood that is true? The local service guy who listened to the engine before the oil was restored said that the engine was unlikely to last more than another three months. What’s the best way to check? Only had 25k miles. Should the dealer give us a new engine? What’s the right remedy? What more info can I give you to better answer the question? We usually keep our cars for 10 years or more and I don’t want the car to break down with my wife and kids in the car.
I would’ve had the oil and filter changed at another reputable shop and had the oil/filter analyzed for metal and other evidence of wear.

2018 Pacifica Limited Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
Uconnect® Theater with Streaming and Sound
Interior Protection Package
Trailer Tow Group
Advanced SafetyTec Group
KeySense
8–Passenger Seating & 20–Inch Wheel Group
Delete Vacuum / Add Spare Tire
Front and Rear Splash Guards
Engine Block Heater
Lifetime Warranty w/ $100 Deductible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:09 PM

Um, save screenshots of the texts and move on?
Lipster likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:24 AM

Just because there was no oil on the dipstick does not mean it damaged your engine. Did you check the oil pressure gauge at all during this process?

2018 Pacifica Touring plus
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Go View Post
Um, save screenshots of the texts and move on?
"...save screenshots of the texts...". I would document as much as you possibly can.
CentralFla likes this.

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:12 AM

Hope the local guy you took it to got pictures of the engine compartment that showed the oil leaked out of filter housing. Get them to document what they saw and what they did in writing in case you need to go to court later. Also get the screen shots of the texts between you and the dealer. I would check the oil level every few days (depending on how much you drive) for the next couple of weeks to make sure it is not burning oil now. How much oil did they have to "replenish" it to get it back up to full?
CentralFla and Longtimemopar like this.

2018 Limited Gas
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:20 AM

There was obviously a miscommunication over the phone between your wife and the shop. Your wife saw a "oil pressure warning light", which is an emergency situation that requires the engine to immediately be turned off to avoid damage.

When she texted(?) the dealer, they thought she was talking about an "oil change is due" light.

Regardless of what she said that they said over the phone, no judge or jury is going to hold the dealership solely responsible for any damage that may have occurred to your vehicle, as the driver of the vehicle had the duty to limit/mitigate damage when they saw the warning light(s) and heard noises--even though the initial cause of the problem was an improperly installed oil filter.

I've seen cases like this from quick-lube places where oil wasn't put back into the car, or a drain plug wasn't tightened, or what-have-you. If it goes to mediation or court, this will be a shared responsibility issue. Just throwing that out there to help guide OP's decision-making in regards to this issue.

Hopefully the van is fine.
arteitle and froglips like this.

2018 Touring L Plus | Copper Pearl | S Pkg
Advanced Safety Tec / Hands-Free Doors / Towing / Keysense
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

These are all excellent points. We did save the screen shots. We did get the service mechanic to write up what he saw. It was 5 quarts. Good points on the miscommunication too. The dealer worked with us to resolve the issue. Was tense for a bit but all worked out well. This is a great forum. Thanks again for the contributions.
brado1 likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny1 View Post
These are all excellent points. We did save the screen shots. We did get the service mechanic to write up what he saw. It was 5 quarts. Good points on the miscommunication too. The dealer worked with us to resolve the issue. Was tense for a bit but all worked out well. This is a great forum. Thanks again for the contributions.
Thanks for following up with the reply and nice to learn that the dealer was helpful.
brado1 likes this.

2019 Limited, Luxury White, HK Sound, Tow Group, Advanced Safety Tec Group

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page