Maintenance schedule - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Maintenance schedule

Hey there,
I’m about to schedule my first scheduled service appointment. Two questions I need help with as this is my first new-ish vehicle:
1)Is what the manual says really the only things that actually need to be done, I mean other than oil and filter? The dealer is recommending a whole bunch of things not therein the manual...I understand they make a pretty profit out of that, but I don’t really wanna have all of that crap done and pay for it. $500 plus Canadian.
2) Can I tell the dealer just stick to what the manual says without hurting the relationship between us?

Thanks...

2017 Touring L Plus Gas
Blue
UConnect Theater
18" wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:47 AM

You might give some examples of what the dealer is offering (suggesting?).
Some service departments may try to pad your service visit.

Pat
17 Pacifica Touring L

Previous vans:
08 T&C Touring
00 T&C 3.8
95 GV 3.3
89 Caravan 3.0
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edesoto View Post
Hey there,
I’m about to schedule my first scheduled service appointment. Two questions I need help with as this is my first new-ish vehicle:
1)Is what the manual says really the only things that actually need to be done, I mean other than oil and filter? The dealer is recommending a whole bunch of things not therein the manual...I understand they make a pretty profit out of that, but I don’t really wanna have all of that crap done and pay for it. $500 plus Canadian.
2) Can I tell the dealer just stick to what the manual says without hurting the relationship between us?

Thanks...
Welcome to the forum.
Are you at 10,000 miles or less? I would stick to the service manual since the dealer is probably just "suggestive selling" services that vehicles used to need, but the Pacifica probably doesn't need. I'm at 35,000 miles and have just had oil and filter changes, cabin air filter change, and tire rotations done for routine service appointments. You can check the coolant level in the overflow tank and add OAT coolant (check manual for type) if needed.
You can search the forum for how to change the cabin air filter if you want to do it yourself.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monza View Post
You might give some examples of what the dealer is offering (suggesting?).
Some service departments may try to pad your service visit.
Here’s what this particular dealer is saying my van needs:
*Oil and Filter change
*Fuel system Cleaner
*Oil conditioner
*Cranckcase service-Engine performance restoration
*4 wheel brake service and tire rotation
*4 wheel alignment
*Battery service and leak test
*Inspect and lubricate all steering and suspension components
*Check air filter and in cabin filter
*Lubricate locks, hinges and weatherstripping
*24 point vehicle inspection
All that from $450 plus $45 for shop supplies and taxes and other fees (hazardous waste disposal, etc.)

2017 Touring L Plus Gas
Blue
UConnect Theater
18" wheels
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciTchr View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Are you at 10,000 miles or less? I would stick to the service manual since the dealer is probably just "suggestive selling" services that vehicles used to need, but the Pacifica probably doesn't need. I'm at 35,000 miles and have just had oil and filter changes, cabin air filter change, and tire rotations done for routine service appointments. You can check the coolant level in the overflow tank and add OAT coolant (check manual for type) if needed.
You can search the forum for how to change the cabin air filter if you want to do it yourself.
The van is nearing 30,000 Kms. Manual says first service should be at 32k or 48 months whichever occurs first. Thanks for your suggestion.

2017 Touring L Plus Gas
Blue
UConnect Theater
18" wheels
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:25 PM

I would ask them to stick to the manual recommendations only. I’m glad they didn’t add “blinker fluid replacement”. .
BTW services for Pacifica are every 10,000 miles or one year whichever is sooner. So I’m guessing you bought the car after about 20,000 miles ?? And this will be technically the third service for the car (even though first under your ownership).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Edesoto likes this.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:04 PM

I would keep a sharp eye on any future dealings at that shop. Some of the items on that list are borderline dishonest. Most of it is fluff, and it certainly doesn't add up to the amount of money they want to steal from you.

Pat
17 Pacifica Touring L

Previous vans:
08 T&C Touring
00 T&C 3.8
95 GV 3.3
89 Caravan 3.0
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monza View Post
I would keep a sharp eye on any future dealings at that shop. Some of the items on that list are borderline dishonest. Most of it is fluff, and it certainly doesn't add up to the amount of money they want to steal from you.

Exactly. Our dealership does the usual service for oil change and many of the things you mentioned are already performed by them as part of the recommended service (eg: the 24 point inspection). The cost was around $50-75 if I recall correctly.
I don’t know why your dealership advised wheel alignment for a routine service. That’s not a routine service unless you have a complaint relating to wheel alignment.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Exactly. Our dealership does the usual service for oil change and many of the things you mentioned are already performed by them as part of the recommended service (eg: the 24 point inspection). The cost was around $50-75 if I recall correctly.
I don’t know why your dealership advised wheel alignment for a routine service. That’s not a routine service unless you have a complaint relating to wheel alignment.

I agree. That list of stuff is pretty outrageous. Wheel rotation is a good thing but brake service at this point is probably just doing a quick visual inspection of the pads and rotors. It would take all of 10-15 seconds per wheel. And as pointed out, wheel alignment is generally only done after replacement of certain worn out suspension parts or if the car is in some sort of accident which bends the frame or one of the suspension components. I have found that communicating with the service department in a way that shows you understand the vehicle and its mechanical functions will many times lessen the amount of stuff they use to try to take advantage of you.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edesoto View Post
Here’s what this particular dealer is saying my van needs:
*Oil and Filter change
*Fuel system Cleaner
*Oil conditioner
*Cranckcase service-Engine performance restoration
*4 wheel brake service and tire rotation
*4 wheel alignment
*Battery service and leak test
*Inspect and lubricate all steering and suspension components
*Check air filter and in cabin filter
*Lubricate locks, hinges and weatherstripping
*24 point vehicle inspection
All that from $450 plus $45 for shop supplies and taxes and other fees (hazardous waste disposal, etc.)
So these would be my questions for the dealer:

1) If they are doing an oil and filter change, why would the brand new oil that is put into the vehicle require a ‘conditioner’? Are they somehow saying that the brand new oil that they’re putting into the car is not good enough on its own? Is the ‘conditioner’ approved by the SAE (society of america engineers)?

2) What exactly is involved in ‘crankcase service’? The crankcase is deep in the bowels of the engine. Will they be removing the oil pan to do this service?

3) What is ‘performance restoration’? Can they prove perhaps by a dynamometer test that the engine’s performance has degraded since new? Will they be able to prove after the maintenance that the lost performance has been restored?

4) What are the chances that a car with less than 50,000 miles will need a wheel alignment?

5) How much do they charge for ‘battery service and leak test’ and what is involved with that?
Bond007 likes this.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in