Air Conditioning (A/C) Stopped Working - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Air Conditioning (A/C) Stopped Working

Took my Pacifica in for 50K service, recall, and a strut issue. A/C was working fine. We got the van back in record time and all of a sudden the A/C no longer works. Air comes out of the vents, but it does not cool down like it should.

Any ideas what it might be? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwalker82 View Post
Took my Pacifica in for 50K service, recall, and a strut issue. A/C was working fine. We got the van back in record time and all of a sudden the A/C no longer works. Air comes out of the vents, but it does not cool down like it should.

Thanks in advance!
What is ambient/outside air temp reading? Does it seem to be accurate?

Most vehicles (including the Pacifica) use the ambient air temp sensor to determine if it's too cold outside to use A/C. I don't know the exact temp the A/C is disabled at on the Pacifica, but on most modern vehicles it's around 34-38°F.

If the problem just started occurring after the dealership completed their work, I'd take it back to them if the indicated ambient temp is warm enough to use A/C.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 30K miles

Last edited by freddief73; 04-12-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwalker82 View Post

Thanks in advance!
Yeah if the ambient air temperature is fine check and see if the compressor is kicking on and off. if its not check the relay. There was a similar post in which the compressor was working intermittently and it turned out to be an electrical short in the compressor. The only moving parts in the air conditioning are 1-compressor, 2- blower motor and 3 the airvent mix valve(mixes cold and hot air) Of course the relays and sensors but they aren't really moving parts

Which reminds me I still need to get some 1234xy adapters

2018 Pacifica Limited Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
Uconnect® Theater with Streaming and Sound
Interior Protection Package
Trailer Tow Group
Advanced SafetyTec Group
KeySense
8–Passenger Seating & 20–Inch Wheel Group
Delete Vacuum / Add Spare Tire
Front and Rear Splash Guards
Engine Block Heater
Lifetime Warranty w/ $100 Deductible

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
Yeah if the ambient air temperature is fine check and see if the compressor is kicking on and off. if its not check the relay.
I believe that many late model vehicles have a compressor that runs all the time.

2018 Limited Gas

Last edited by Lipster; 04-13-2019 at 05:15 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
I believe that late model vehicles have a compressor that runs all the time.
Que?!

Well theres a relay for it so it most certainly doesn't run all the time and why would it? Especially if your not using it. That would kill the fuel efficiency and you know how they are trying to squeeze every MPG they can like with ASS and everything. Plus the wear and tear on the compressor.... I don't think so

Trailer Tow Group
Advanced SafetyTec Group
KeySense
Engine Block Heater
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:07 PM

I don't know for sure if Chrysler is using variable displacement ac compressors at this time. Many are, as they are more efficient. They still use a relay, but there is no clutch, as the compressor is turning all the time, but the variable displacement pistons inside vary from no pumping to maximum pumping, depending on what is required.

2018 Limited Gas
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I don't know for sure if Chrysler is using variable displacement ac compressors at this time. Many are, as they are more efficient. They still use a relay, but there is no clutch, as the compressor is turning all the time, but the variable displacement pistons inside vary from no pumping to maximum pumping, depending on what is required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPuYF0eNK6M
interesting

Trailer Tow Group
Advanced SafetyTec Group
KeySense
Engine Block Heater
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:54 PM

See this thread
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...c-problem.html

There was a TSB about intermittent shorts in the compressor.

WRT to ambient temperature cutoff, as far as I know the compressor will almost ALWAYS come on with DEFROST. So try that and see if it works. If it does, then the thermostat issues might be the cause. If it stays off, I am guessing that you have a compressor issue.

As I said in my post there (and my original thread,) originally it did not come on, then started up halfway home. It stayed off the next two days and at the beginning of the drive to the dealer. As soon the service department was in sight, it came back on. The dealer played with it a few weeks, and finally, on the day they were going to give it back, it finally misbehaved for them. Talk about "the perversity of inanimate" (phrase credit to Piers Anthony and few million engineers....)

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
Build date Oct 2016 - Delivered 11/30/16
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Probably clutch -- I am pretty sure my 2017 "clicks" when the compressor goes on. You can hear it when the van starts up after a few seconds on warm days.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
Build date Oct 2016 - Delivered 11/30/16
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:46 PM

This might seem dumb, but my AC "suddenly" quit working after I only had it a few days. I discovered the the AC button must be ativated even though the climate control was set to "Auto".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page