Missing undercarriage part after rebuild - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Missing undercarriage part after rebuild

My 2017 gas Pacifica encountered a loose piece of retread awhile ago while on the freeway which caused some front end damage. Off the top of my head what got replaced was front body part, grilles, shutters, radiator and alternator. All seems good, except the other day while pulling into a parking spot, I went a little too far in - but noticed the absence of a sound I had always been used to hearing. Normally when pulling into parking spots, a curb would often times come into contact with a set of metal prongs - not quite sure what to call them - that hang down, bolted to some part of the undercarriage, just under the front end. One is in roughly in front of each wheel. I'm not sure of their function, but always assumed it was something to keep you from possibly going over a curb or some obstruction and snagging the felt undercover. I'm guessing the autobody shop didn't reinstall as perhaps they got sheared off.

In the rebuild these prongs are no longer there. I've looked for them on parts websites to see what they are called, but can't seem to locate. If I see another Pacifica, I'll snap photos of what I'm talking about, as I'm sure my description is a bit vague. I'd like to go back to the shop that did my autobody work and have them added back, but if first got to verify what they are called.

Anyone know what part I'm talking about?

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) w/tow. April 2016 build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:21 PM

Curb feelers?

arteitle likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by catboy View Post
My 2017 gas Pacifica encountered a loose piece of retread awhile ago while on the freeway which caused some front end damage. Off the top of my head what got replaced was front body part, grilles, shutters, radiator and alternator. All seems good, except the other day while pulling into a parking spot, I went a little too far in - but noticed the absence of a sound I had always been used to hearing. Normally when pulling into parking spots, a curb would often times come into contact with a set of metal prongs - not quite sure what to call them - that hang down, bolted to some part of the undercarriage, just under the front end. One is in roughly in front of each wheel. I'm not sure of their function, but always assumed it was something to keep you from possibly going over a curb or some obstruction and snagging the felt undercover. I'm guessing the autobody shop didn't reinstall as perhaps they got sheared off.

In the rebuild these prongs are no longer there. I've looked for them on parts websites to see what they are called, but can't seem to locate. If I see another Pacifica, I'll snap photos of what I'm talking about, as I'm sure my description is a bit vague. I'd like to go back to the shop that did my autobody work and have them added back, but if first got to verify what they are called.

Anyone know what part I'm talking about?
I may be mistaken, but I think that you're talking about an air deflector. Basically, they help a bit on mileage, but, they're not all that important/critical to your driving experience. https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ut-arent-vital

Owner: 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Bright White, Tri Pane Panoramic Sunroof, Advanced SafetyTec Group

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagicmph View Post
I may be mistaken, but I think that you're talking about an air deflector. Basically, they help a bit on mileage, but, they're not all that important/critical to your driving experience. https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ut-arent-vital

Except air deflectors are flat, solid pieces of plastic - he mentions metal prongs...

2018 Touring L
Collapsible spare tire kit
WeatherTech window deflectors, floor mats, and cargo liner
State-issued Vietnam Veteran License plate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:20 AM

Looked under mine and I don't see anything metal hanging below the plastic that would scrape a parking stop.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

These definitely are not curb feelers. Perhaps it's a local installed option? I've scanned a few dozen used ones for sale online and located a partial view of what I'm talking about in the picture attached. They are shaped like the letter "U" and are on both sides of the front-end.
Attached Images
File Type: png car.png (258.3 KB, 48 views)

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
These definitely are not curb feelers. Perhaps it's a local installed option? I've scanned a few dozen used ones for sale online and located a partial view of what I'm talking about in the picture attached. They are shaped like the letter "U" and are on both sides of the front-end.

I think those may be what the parts catalog calls "Front Wheel Spats". If so, part numbers are 68305245AA for left and 68305244AA for right. (And no, don't go by the diagrams that appear when you click on those links.. the diagrams appear to not show these parts at all.)

- 2017 Pacifica Touring-L Plus - Jazz Blue, Advanced SafetyTec, Uconnect 8.4N, KeySense
- Ordered 5/31/16, Current status: KZL as of 6/28/16, Arrived at dealer 7/6/16, Purchased 7/11/16
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel9478 View Post
I think those may be what the parts catalog calls "Front Wheel Spats". If so, part numbers are 68305245AA for left and 68305244AA for right. (And no, don't go by the diagrams that appear when you click on those links.. the diagrams appear to not show these parts at all.)
That's it! I think I did see it at least one of the diagrams. Thank you.

But another question I have is, what does it do? And why don't all Pacificas have it? My van seems run just fine without it, but I do plan on having it reinstalled simply because it was there from the factory. Just not sure what purpose it serves.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
That's it! I think I did see it at least one of the diagrams. Thank you.

But another question I have is, what does it do? And why don't all Pacificas have it? My van seems run just fine without it, but I do plan on having it reinstalled simply because it was there from the factory. Just not sure what purpose it serves.
I checked my Sept. 2016 build Touring L and the spat (air deflector) isn't present, so I suspect (based on the name spat) it might be an early design feature that was added in hopes of improving fuel economy but was discontinued to save on production costs.
Any noticeable fuel economy difference without it? Have you noticed any noise difference?
Glad you found the part you were looking for.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciTchr View Post
I checked my Sept. 2016 build Touring L and the spat (air deflector) isn't present, so I suspect (based on the name spat) it might be an early design feature that was added in hopes of improving fuel economy but was discontinued to save on production costs.
Any noticeable fuel economy difference without it? Have you noticed any noise difference?
Glad you found the part you were looking for.
Yes, there's more wind noise (really a high-pitched whine). And functionally different when pulling into parking spaces with high curbs - this "spat" would physically stop you from pulling too far forward.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page