Hot weather shift pattern - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Hot weather shift pattern

So, I've been experiencing something that to my surprise I can't seem to find anywhere in the manual or on this forum.

When it's hot hot outside 90+ we get very sluggish performance out of our transmission shifts. I don't mean slight differences....I mean full on driving a fully loaded semi truck up a hill performance. It seems to do whatever it can to keep the revs as low as possible. If you really, really force the pedal down it will eventually relent and give you a downshift but it will quickly go back to low rpms asap.

I somewhat expect this is a coping mechanism for the heat bit it drives like a totally different vehicle in these temps.

Anyone noticed this or do we have an issue that needs to be looked at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:28 AM

Mine drives the same in hot weather or cool weather

2018 Limited Gas

Last edited by Lipster; 07-18-2019 at 06:15 PM. Reason: clarity
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychase View Post
So, I've been experiencing something that to my surprise I can't seem to find anywhere in the manual or on this forum.

When it's hot hot outside 90+ we get very sluggish performance out of our transmission shifts. I don't mean slight differences....I mean full on driving a fully loaded semi truck up a hill performance. It seems to do whatever it can to keep the revs as low as possible. If you really, really force the pedal down it will eventually relent and give you a downshift but it will quickly go back to low rpms asap.

I somewhat expect this is a coping mechanism for the heat bit it drives like a totally different vehicle in these temps.

Anyone noticed this or do we have an issue that needs to be looked at?
Welcome to the forum. A little more info about your van would be helpful. If you put your van info (year, trim, gas/hybrid, etc.) in the signature line of the UserCP it will show up at the bottom of all your posts. Year and build date (on edge of driver's door) would help since there were some transmission updates early on. Does this happen more when you are using cruise control?

I haven't noticed a shifting issue related to the heat.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 07-18-2019 at 12:25 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Yep, my bad. It's a 17 Limited (without ESS). The only thing to add is that when this happens the engine temp never goes above 208 but can dip as low as 185 when up to speed. So it's not like it's curbing the output because the engine is overheating.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychase View Post
Yep, my bad. It's a 17 Limited (without ESS). The only thing to add is that when this happens the engine temp never goes above 208 but can dip as low as 185 when up to speed. So it's not like it's curbing the output because the engine is overheating.
Have you had your van in for any software updates? It seems like my van had a few software updates.
Have you had any transmission updates done on your van? My van is also non ESS and had this technical service bulletin done which seemed to help most shifting issues. A TSB isn't the same as a recall so they aren't going to update software unless you say that there is a problem. There may be newer updates, so it is probably best to take the info along and ask the dealer if there are newer updates also. The malfunction light didn't come on for this issue in my van.
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/356586-post2.html

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page