2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

2018 Windshield Glass out of stock!!!!!????

10K views 51 replies 7 participants last post by  Frig 
#1 ·
So a piece of metal hit my windshield this AM on my 2018 van. And smashed it in the middle of the window.
I have glass insurance but they called me back said there is only 3!!!!!!! windshields in the country and can't get one till mid AUGUST!!!
This is a OEM part only and i think this is crazy that I have to drive around on a smashed windshield now. ONLY 3??? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
@chrysler Cares

Any help on this would be great and or options.

Scott Stumpf

#2 · (Edited)
My windshield was broken on June 10th, and it is just getting installed day after tomorrow (July 31). Same story as yours: On backorder, can't get an aftermarket replacement, as they are out of stock as well.

When it was determined that my engine needed replacing, that was a 4 week wait.
One would think Chrysler would have better parts availability than Peugeot or Ferrari.

Chrysler needs to get their act together to compete.

#3 ·
I've seen something like there where two dealerships are supposed to be using the same database to look for parts. One will find it and the other will find none. The worst is both dealers finding the out of stock part which has 15 dealers all back-ordered to get the first ones available.

But... check this one out. Was suggested by a former service manager. Shows that there truly may be no stock supplied by the glass supplier. I wonder what the story is. I offer no guarantees.

https://parts.moparonlineparts.com/...-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/glass-windshield-scat

Check out changing your vehicle to check on a Plus or L or whichever. Going back here could help with verifying stock levels.

In general that parts site helps me understand certain model quirks. Maybe the little differences between a L and L Plus interior.

#5 ·
I had my windshield broken on July 12 & immediately contacted my insurance (who uses Safelite for auto glass claims). I had the windshield replaced at my worksite on July 16. Don't know just what to tell you, since this was a 100% OEM windshield that it was replaced with, no problems at all.

#6 ·
Do you have front collision avoidance?
Do you have rain sensing wipers?
Do you have automatic headlight dimming?
You don't list your year or trim level in your signature, so your experience may well be based on different facts.
Happy you are happy.

#10 ·
Do you have front collision avoidance? YES
Do you have rain sensing wipers? YES
Do you have automatic headlight dimming? YES

You don't list your year or trim level in your signature, so your experience may well be based on different facts.
Happy you are happy.

#12 ·
I pretty sure the 3 windshields quote was a lie, or at the very least misinformation or misquoted. It's probably true there's a shortage, but I imagine that's due to the huge pacifica windshield being prone to stress fractures and is a huge target for wayward road debris. But in any case, there's way more than 3.

#13 · (Edited)
"There's way more than 3."
And you know this how?
3, 300, or thirty. 5 weeks is a long time to wait for a freaking windshield.
And that is the point here.
Safelite had Zero.
What is your point, exactly?
We are all crazy or hyperbolic?
You state your opinions as if they are known facts.
I called 3 different dealers, as well as Safelite. All had the same answer: There are none available.
Five weeks later, I get mine. Why would anyone lie.
Do you work for Chrysler?
I'm 72 years old, and have owned scores of vehicles, and had scores of company cars, and have never seen anything like owning this thing.

#15 · (Edited)
MRMAGICMPH:
I was not commenting on your post, but to a previous poster.
I got my windshield replaced today. Now the forward camera is not functioning.
It has to go back AGAIN, next week, assuming the camera is not on backorder.
As I have stated, chrysler needs to get their act together.

I'm sure someone will post how much I should be loving this van, in spite of all the shop time.

#16 ·
Lipster: After my windshield was replaced, I had to go to the dealership to have the advanced safety system (Rainsense and camera system) recalibrated. Safelite's paperwork noted it, and was confirmed by the dealership when I called to ask (didn't ask as a leading question, to make sure whether or not I could trust the information given to me by Safelite).

Today I drove in the rain for the first time since the dealership recalibrated the system and it worked 100% the way it was supposed to.

So, it might just need recalibration, it might need replacement, I don't know which, but, might pay to check out & see if the dealership recalibrated it yet or not.

#18 ·
Windshields are like batteries, in that Chrysler doesn't stock them, but handles them through a glass supplier that delivers them to the dealerships. They're unlike batteries in that you can't just grab one at Wally World on your way home. :(

"There aren't any out there" and "there are 3 in the country" mean the same thing. The 3 that show are on dealer shelves, most likely waiting to be installed. If one of those dealers could sell it, you'd be looking at a long drive because it's not something you want to toss into a UPS truck.

#20 ·
Still no windshield for my 2018 Chrysler Pacifica which I think is flat-out ridiculous for a brand new vehicle. I mean they're still making brand new minivans which probably is the same fitting windshield yet I'm driving around with a smashed windshield for two weeks

#21 ·
Who is saying there are no windshields? Your first post seemed to say that insurance is telling you that.

#28 ·
As I asked last week, who is telling you there isn't a windshield for your van? Are you calling dealers?

#34 ·
You don't get it. Frig called Safelite and they said they had them, but needed the van overnight. That report may not be accurate, and we won't know for sure unless a forum member goes to that glass place with an 18 Pacifica. But it's believable.

The supply chain issue is partly Chrysler's fault (for the same reaons as the batteries), partly the market and partly the nature of the part: batteries are batteries, but windshields are unique. Both of the batteries in the Pacifica are used in other vehicles by other manufacturers. They're the same batteries with different labels. But a Pacifica windshield is only going to fit in another Pacifica, and the 2018 has 5 different part numbers for the windhield.

A part that fits maybe 1/5 of all 2018 Pacificas isn't going to be as available as a part that fits all Pacificas of all model years, other FCA vehicles and other vehicles from other manufacturers. Aftermarket isn't going to chase that windshield too hard either, because the sensors and whatnot that come on them aren't glass.

There are windshields out there, but unless they're nearby they might as well not exist. You can't expect to UPS one very well, and your warranty or insurance isn't going to pay for that, much less a 4 day road trip to get it.

#35 ·
All I know is that I waited 5 weeks for a windshield to be found.
Two dealers and two glass shops told me they were unavailable.
Another poster is(was) having the same issue.
It is a problem. If trig found one in his town, good for him.
My van is fine until it needs something. So far, that something was an entire engine
and a windshield. Both times the parts took 4 to five weeks to arrive. I have two dealers
I go to in two different parts of the state. They do good work, but can't seem to get the parts.
I don't like being told by someone that it is somehow my fault.
It is a Chrysler problem. The only thing I did wrong was to buy the dam thing.

#36 ·
I think @Van Go said it better than I ever could.

They seemingly do have the windshields to put in, safelite does.

I didn't call a dealer, that's not who's supposed to be involved (allegedly). Dealers aren't to be bothered (allegedly). That's the system we're given and we have to work within it. Dealers need to get involved with the calibration and safelite will tell you immediately that you have to arrange an appointment with them following getting the new windshield.

But that's where I live, in the northeast, with my year and options, your mileage may vary. This was the case 2 months ago when I got mine replaced; they had it in stock along with 2 other pacifica windshields. But that was 2 months ago, for my year and options, this is not negating anyone else's first hand experience today.

This is however showing that 3 windshields in the entire country was a false statement, at least for a 2018 limited with all the options (allegedly).

Stating contrary facts is not being dismissive.

#47 ·
So a piece of metal hit my windshield this AM on my 2018 van. And smashed it in the middle of the window.
I have glass insurance but they called me back said there is only 3!!!!!!! windshields in the country and can't get one till mid AUGUST!!!
This is a OEM part only and i think this is crazy that I have to drive around on a smashed windshield now. ONLY 3??? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
@chrysler Cares

Any help on this would be great and or options.

Scott Stumpf
This is also true of the 2019 Chrysler Pacificas. My brand new windshield cracked and was determined to be defective by Chrysler, thus covered under warranty. I have been waiting for for almost 4 months for a replacement. Unacceptable. I have not reached out to local glass companies as I have been busy with the back and forth with Chrysler. This is an avenue I may try. I have been extremely dissatisfied with the lack of efficiency and care regarding this issue. The case manager has been refusing to let me speak with his manager regarding the issue. Finally, after posting on multiple social media platforms, I am getting a call from a supervisor. I am sure it won't change the outcome, but I will be a thorn in their side until this issue is resolved. I have also issued a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and in touch with my lawyer regarding this issue. I would recommend you all submit complaints as well- maybe we can change their process.

#48 ·
You're doing it wrong. I too thought you were supposed to contact the dealer, but they're not the ones who do the windshield replacements, apparently.

Contact your insurance and they, or you, will then contact your local glass company. At least that's the way it works in my neck of the woods and with my insurance.

Please keeps us updated, thanks. The OP hasn't responded in about a month, hopefully it's been fixed by now.

#52 ·
Yes, your claim is being handled differently, and now it's almost 4 months later and still not fixed.

I didn't make the system. Mine was also a stress fracture due to defect in the glass, as per the glass shop guys. Dealers lie. Call your insurance, I bet it'll be done by the weekend.

I was where you are, caring about the warranty and accountability, but then I just got it fixed thru insurance and moved on. It's a safety issue and an annoyance, call your insurance and do the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.