Brand New 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited - DEAD within 48 hours/393 miles - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Angry Brand New 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited - DEAD within 48 hours/393 miles

Friday:
Purchased Brand New 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited - had to drive 4 hours to get my car - it is infact very limited. Reached home at 1:30 am.
Parked in my garage with 333 miles on it,
Battery 0% at 1:30 am
started charging with regular level 1 charger supplied with the car.

Saturday:
Battery ~80% at 10:00 am
Ran some errand - added 60 more miles
Parked in my garage with 393 miles on it
Battery 0% at 10:00 pm
Started charging with regular level 1 charger supplied with the car.
UConnect started updating - estimated time to complete update 34 mins. Vehicle can not be used while update in progress.

Sunday:
Battery ~80% 7:30 am
12:30 pm - Wife wanted to start the car to run some errand and it started misbehaving
- With key in hand, grabbing door handle won't open. Tried unlocking car with unlock button on key fob - success.
- Got inside car, tried adjusting the seat height - success
- Tried starting the car - failed with following symptoms
- brake pedal pushing back on feet.
- overhaed LED light flashing

2:30 pm - I wanted to see whats going on
- With key in hand, grabbing door handle won't open. Tried unlocking car with unlock button on key fob - success.
- Open/Close door with me still in car
- Tried starting car again, this time car was completely dead, absolutely no lights on dash

Last edited by ShuraPacHy; 08-08-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuraPacHy View Post
Friday:
Purchased Brand New 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited - had to drive 4 hours to get my car - it is infact very limited. Reached home at 1:30 am.
Parked in my garage with 333 miles on it,
Battery 0% at 1:30 am
started charging with regular level 1 charger supplied with the car.

Saturday:
Battery ~80% at 10:00 am
Ran some errand - added 60 more miles
Parked in my garage with 393 miles on it
Battery 0% at 10:00 pm
Started charging with regular level 1 charger supplied with the car.
UConnect started updating - estimated time to complete update 34 mins. Vehicle can not be used while update in progress.

Sunday:
Battery ~80% 7:30 am
12:30 pm - Wife wanted to start the car to run some errand and it started misbehaving

2:30 pm - I wanted to see whats going on
- Open/Close door with me still in car
- Tried starting car again, this time car was completely dead, absolutely no lights on dash
Congrats! It sucks, but it'll be great once this hiccup is resolved, may not seem like it now but it'll be a hiccup in the big scheme of things.

It's probably just the regular 12v battery in back. It may be 2+ years old and may not have been maintained properly. If so then it'll be easily fixed.

So when exactly was it manufactured? Check the sticker on the door.

When exactly did you drive it off the lot, last Friday the 2nd of august?

How many miles were on it?

How much gas was in it?

What options does it have?

What's been happening since it was dead on Sunday the 4th?

2019 Hybrid Limited Black with bird poop accents, S Package, Froot Loops, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, it was overcast
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frig View Post
Congrats! It sucks, but it'll be great once this hiccup is resolved, may not seem like it now but it'll be a hiccup in the big scheme of things.

It's probably just the regular 12v battery in back. It may be 2+ years old and may not have been maintained properly. If so then it'll be easily fixed.

So when exactly was it manufactured? Check the sticker on the door.

When exactly did you drive it off the lot, last Friday the 2nd of august?

How many miles were on it?

How much gas was in it?

What options does it have?

What's been happening since it was dead on Sunday the 4th?
When I got this vehicle off of dealership on Aug 2. It had 66 miles on it and full gas tank. Saturday evening when I parked it in my garage - it still had 156 miles of gas range, 0 miles of battery range.
Options:
  • 20 Speakers Harman/Kardon Group
  • Advanced SafetyTec Group
  • UConnect Theater with Wireless Streaming
  • KeySense

Nothing new happening since we found this car unresponsive after Sunday Aug 4th.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
When I got this vehicle off of dealership on Aug 2. It had 66 miles on it and full gas tank. Saturday evening when I parked it in my garage - it still had 156 miles of gas range, 0 miles of battery range.
Options:
  • 20 Speakers Harman/Kardon Group
  • Advanced SafetyTec Group
  • UConnect Theater with Wireless Streaming
  • KeySense

Nothing new happening since we found this car unresponsive after Sunday Aug 4th.
Thanks. So a 2018 could have been made as early as fall of 2017, and with a battery that's 2+ years old, sitting on the lot with 66 miles in 2+ years, I'm guessing it got depleted a few times at least unless the dealer was vigilant about keep it charged, which seems unlikely.

If you're handy, try to get a local dealer to get you a battery to swap in so you won't have to get it out of your garage. Ask your original dealer to help out. Maybe you can jump start it and get it to a local dealer, don't know. There's many folks on here more knowledgeable when it comes to batteries.

Sucks that you have to go through frustrating hoops with a new car but once you get this figured out it'll be great, and nice options!
RC Mike and Leah like this.

2019 Hybrid Limited Black with bird poop accents, S Package, Froot Loops, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:55 PM

Indeed , could have been sitting in Windsor build yard for some time the. En route to dealer could be sitting a lot more ( over 2 yrs ) . Hope you get it all sorted out and good luck .
Frig likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frig View Post
If you're handy, try to get a local dealer to get you a battery to swap in so you won't have to get it out of your garage. Ask your original dealer to help out. Maybe you can jump start it and get it to a local dealer, don't know. There's many folks on here more knowledgeable when it comes to batteries.
Dealer is 4 hours away from home where the dead car is sitting. When I called them, they recommend calling Chrysler Roadside Assistance. Chrysler Roadside Assistance recommended jump starting. However technician sent by Chrysler Roadside Assistance reported that, there is no charge left in battery, so jump start wont change anything.

This makes me think one major programming issue in the logic to switch between battery and gasoline.

If 16kWh battery that run the electric motor to power the car, has a charge left in it (which in my case is 100%) and 12V battery which runs the ESS is depleted, there is no way jump start will work. As in order to charge 12V battery it has to be charged thru generator, which only runs if gasoline engine runs - I may be wrong on this assumption. But if I am not mistaken, getting the new battery to car is the only option or you tow your vehicle to place where someone can replace the depleted 12V battery with new one. This logic of running car only in electric mode seems buggy, if the 12V battery is not getting opportunity to charge through generator. I hope Chrysler has done good job in writing logic for this use case.

I was so disappointed on Sunday, as we timed purchase of this car so well that we could have a nice 14 hour trip in one of the quietest and most comfortable minivan in USA. I guess it was not our destiny. But good thing is that it died before we started our journey and not during the journey. I hope that its only takes replacing 12V battery with new battery. And that too dealer does good job with putting a battery that is not very old and sitting in the shelf. And yes - THIS SUX.
Frig likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:50 AM

Sux is an understatement.

You can and should go to a dealer closer to you. If you can swap it that would be the easiest for everybody. The big question is, will it solve the problem?
SciTchr likes this.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Dealer is 4 hours away from home where the dead car is sitting. When I called them, they recommend calling Chrysler Roadside Assistance. Chrysler Roadside Assistance recommended jump starting. However technician sent by Chrysler Roadside Assistance reported that, there is no charge left in battery, so jump start wont change anything.

This makes me think one major programming issue in the logic to switch between battery and gasoline.

If 16kWh battery that run the electric motor to power the car, has a charge left in it (which in my case is 100%) and 12V battery which runs the ESS is depleted, there is no way jump start will work. As in order to charge 12V battery it has to be charged thru generator, which only runs if gasoline engine runs - I may be wrong on this assumption. But if I am not mistaken, getting the new battery to car is the only option or you tow your vehicle to place where someone can replace the depleted 12V battery with new one. This logic of running car only in electric mode seems buggy, if the 12V battery is not getting opportunity to charge through generator. I hope Chrysler has done good job in writing logic for this use case.

I was so disappointed on Sunday, as we timed purchase of this car so well that we could have a nice 14 hour trip in one of the quietest and most comfortable minivan in USA. I guess it was not our destiny. But good thing is that it died before we started our journey and not during the journey. I hope that its only takes replacing 12V battery with new battery. And that too dealer does good job with putting a battery that is not very old and sitting in the shelf. And yes - THIS SUX.
Any Chrysler dealer should be able to replace the 12V battery under the 36 month/36,000 mile warranty. You might want to call and ask if you can bring the dead 12V battery in or if the van has to be brought in for the battery to be replaced. Did the Roadside Assistance give you any paperwork that verifies that the battery was too dead to jump?

I was able to jump start a dead battery in a gas Pacifica and drove it to the dealer who then replaced the battery. Maybe it wasn't as dead as your van's battery, but I'm surprised that the Roadside Assistance technician didn't even try to jump start the van. If the battery could be jumped, it would give you the option of driving it to the dealer rather than having it towed. I wouldn't expect the dead battery to recharge itself, but towing a hybrid might not be an easy task from what I've read on the forum.

Hopefully hybrid owners will be able to advise you better about your situation.
Frig likes this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 08-09-2019 at 01:17 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
The car doesn't actually have a traditional alternator. It charges the 12 volt battery from the high voltage battery, which in turn gets charged either from a charging station or from the hybrid transmission when it is powered by the gas engine. There are numerous reports of bad 12 volt batteries in cars that have sat on the dealer's lot for months on end without being recharged or driven. The battery dies after a couple of days and will no longer accept a charge.

The manual does talk about jump starting and also suggests connecting it to the charging cord after you jump it and before disconnecting the jump battery. That is because it attempts to charge the 12v battery during the high voltage charging process. But that won't do you any good if the 12v battery is dead and won't accept a charge.

So yes, you are right, you either have to replace the battery where it sits now or get it towed. The battery is covered under the warranty but the dealer (any dealer will do) will insist on having the car in hand before doing anything. There also may be a delay in getting a replacement since the battery is not the same as the one in the gas Pacifica and it will need to be ordered. It is a sealed Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) battery with a vent port. If you are feeling adventurous and want to skip the warranty replacement you can buy one at an auto parts store and replace it yourself. To do that you have to remove the cover in the left rear of the passenger compartment. That will require a #5 Torx driver with a short handle. There are TWO screws that have to be removed, one at the top left and one at the top right underneath a small cover. Then you can pry the cover off -- it pops off quite easily once you have a corner started. I usually start with the bottom left corner.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBean View Post
The car doesn't actually have a traditional alternator. It charges the 12 volt battery from the high voltage battery, which in turn gets charged either from a charging station or from the hybrid transmission when it is powered by the gas engine. There are numerous reports of bad 12 volt batteries in cars that have sat on the dealer's lot for months on end without being recharged or driven. The battery dies after a couple of days and will no longer accept a charge.
If the 12V battery also gets charged when I charge the 16kWh battery, it is concluded that the 12V battery is dead and cannot accept any more charge, as vehicle was in charge for about 14 hours using level 1 charger before it died.

Tags
dead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in