Recall for Sudden Loss of Motive Power - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

@Badge56 Uhhhh...driving down the interstate with three young kids in the back seat, no shoulder, a semi-truck speeding up behind you, and your vehicle suddenly shuts off without warning....yeah. I'd say "scary" is an appropriate adjective. FCA can't control a tire blow-out...not the same thing. Get your Pacifica updated.
@irpilot I'm not concerned about that. I joined this forum to see if other Pacifica drivers were experiencing the same issue and I had hoped that I would find a solution to the problem. I continued posting because I never found any other drivers who received the same diagnosis or "fix" that I received. I felt like I needed to alert other drivers who hadn't experienced the issue, and also help those who had. Eight months later and I've been quoted in a NY Times article, a petition to NHTSA has been filed, an investigation has been opened, and now over 150,000 Pacificas have been recalled. And better yet, I no longer have to drive one. So I'm quite content at this point. I won't be at all surprised if this post and/or thread is deleted...but it doesn't really matter. The recall information is all over the news and I'm glad that drivers who were unaware of this defect can be more prepared should they experience it.
Tsagg and Hemidave like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 01:55 PM

How long does it take the affected VIN numbers to be updated on the NHSTA website? I checked mine (bought my Pacifica May 2017 and has a build date of March or April 2017) and it says 0 recalls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindram11 View Post
How long does it take the affected VIN numbers to be updated on the NHSTA website? I checked mine (bought my Pacifica May 2017 and has a build date of March or April 2017) and it says 0 recalls.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can register for recall notices on the NHSTA website and they will send you a message of possible recalls that might affect your van. You can then log in and see if you VIN is part of the recall. At this point it might be too soon to know for sure.

I would suspect the internet should provide more information in the next week or two.

Those who are really concerned about getting the recall update done as soon as possible might want to schedule an appointment with a dealer since available appointments may be a few weeks out. In November I would have had to wait 8 weeks for a transmission appointment locally so I drove to a dealer farther away and got an appointment in a week.

When the EGR recall began I found out about it first on the forum and then checked my VIN on the NHSTA or Chrysler website. I received an email about it also within a week. I had the EGR software update done. A few weeks later I got a paper copy of the recall notice in the mail.

My guess is that all gas Pacificas (2017s first) will be offered the recall update.

Edit: I noticed it said "voluntarily recalling" so I wonder if the recall will be on the NHSTA website. Hopefully those on the forum will let us know if anyone hears anything more about the recall.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 01-14-2018 at 11:33 PM.

post #14 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 03:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciTchr View Post
Edit: I noticed it said "voluntarily recalling" so I wonder if the recall will be on the NHSTA website.
It will be on the NHTSA website. "Voluntarily" recalling just means the recall was initiated by FCA, rather than being ordered by NHTSA. It's voluntary in the sense they're voluntarily complying with the law.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Ltd
2013 Volt
2015 F-150

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 04:48 PM

While the recall says the hybrids are unaffected, I find it interesting that both have a sudden loss in motive power and a control module is the issue (and the resolution in both is a software upgrade).

Just seems too coincidental to me... and I too think the 18s (both gas and hybrid) may also be affected as there was a post about a gas 18 stalling and another about an 18 hybrid PIM failure.

Hopefully the gas fix is simple and no one has to be at the dealer for months.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
2017 Pacifica Hybrid Platinum
Drove 2017 Pacifica Touring L (loaner)
Previously 2014 Sienna SE, 2010 Sienna SE, 2004 Sienna LE
post #16 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 08:55 PM

Very questionable that they arenít recalling either 2018s or hybrids when a 2018 Hybrid has reportedly done the same thing. Makes me wonder if they even have the correct fix. Flashing the ECM is cheap (relatively) for them.
post #17 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 10:59 PM

If Chrysler Cares is monitoring, maybe they can give us an idea of the recall information rollout.

As of tonight, the mopar owners page does not indicate a recall for my van.

@Aereventia -- which hybrid incident are you referring to? There have been a lot of incidents listed in these forum threads that don't exactly match the criteria (sudden shutdown / no-problem restart & normal operation / no codes.)

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
Build date Oct 2016 - Delivered 11/30/16
post #18 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 01:03 AM

@Aereventia -- which hybrid incident are you referring to? There have been a lot of incidents listed in these forum threads that don't exactly match the criteria (sudden shutdown / no-problem restart & normal operation / no codes.)[/QUOTE]

I spent half an hour looking for it and didnít find it. Unfortunately some are buried in the big thread with the oil change merge.

I may be wrong. Hope so.
post #19 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry17 View Post
If Chrysler Cares is monitoring, maybe they can give us an idea of the recall information rollout.

As of tonight, the mopar owners page does not indicate a recall for my van.

@Aereventia -- which hybrid incident are you referring to? There have been a lot of incidents listed in these forum threads that don't exactly match the criteria (sudden shutdown / no-problem restart & normal operation / no codes.)
This must be your first foray into recalls. Recalls take time and they notify you via mail. I got a recall notice for an airbag months after hearing about it in the news. Let the system work. Or you could go crazy and start another petition or call news outlets hysterically claiming how you've been wronged.

2017 Billet/Alloy Limited - UConnect Theater/Sound, 20 inch Wheels, Safety Tec

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite
post #20 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry17 View Post
Here is the post where the owner of a 2018 PacHy said they had an issue with the PIM:

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/...tml#post374226

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
2017 Pacifica Hybrid Platinum
Drove 2017 Pacifica Touring L (loaner)
Previously 2014 Sienna SE, 2010 Sienna SE, 2004 Sienna LE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page