Recall for Sudden Loss of Motive Power - Page 3 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 11:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPacifica View Post
Here is the post where the owner of a 2018 PacHy said they had an issue with the PIM:
That might be the PIM, or the coolant heater or something else. We only know the code which can indicate a lot of things.

Aside from that I believe there has been one confirmed PIM problem in the Facebook group with a 2018, and possibly one failure in a 2017 after the recall was done? Maybe?

It appears the recall has been effective at solving the PIM shutdown issue. There could still be an occasional manufacturing or assembly defect involving the PIM.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Ltd
2013 Volt
2015 F-150

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
That might be the PIM, or the coolant heater or something else. We only know the code which can indicate a lot of things.

Aside from that I believe there has been one confirmed PIM problem in the Facebook group with a 2018, and possibly one failure in a 2017 after the recall was done? Maybe?

It appears the recall has been effective at solving the PIM shutdown issue. There could still be an occasional manufacturing or assembly defect involving the PIM.
I'm not referring to the OP of that thread, there was another member who posted later in that thread they had a PIM issue.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
2017 Pacifica Hybrid Platinum
Drove 2017 Pacifica Touring L (loaner)
Previously 2014 Sienna SE, 2010 Sienna SE, 2004 Sienna LE
post #23 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
This must be your first foray into recalls. Recalls take time and they notify you via mail. I got a recall notice for an airbag months after hearing about it in the news. Let the system work. Or you could go crazy and start another petition or call news outlets hysterically claiming how you've been wronged.
No - not my first by a long shot. And the van has had two performed already (T23 & T54 -- one a NHTSA and the other a "Customer Satisfaction" campaign.)

I am not pushing for anything, but since expectations and impatience are already at a high pitch on these multiple stall issue threads, information is the only thing that will bring about some semblance of patience.

As I said on another thread, it is not crystal clear that Chrysler has the solution yet or started to distribute it to the dealers, and that ambiguity will only inflame some. There is a history of automakers saying they are going to fix the problem without a timeframe, but at least they are upfront about it. One of the recent examples -- Honda recalled 900,000 Odesseys for a 2nd row seat that could move under braking, but was still working on a solution.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
Build date Oct 2016 - Delivered 11/30/16

post #24 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry17 View Post
As I said on another thread, it is not crystal clear that Chrysler has the solution yet or started to distribute it to the dealers, and that ambiguity will only inflame some. There is a history of automakers saying they are going to fix the problem without a timeframe, but at least they are upfront about it. One of the recent examples -- Honda recalled 900,000 Odesseys for a 2nd row seat that could move under braking, but was still working on a solution.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chrysle...e-stall-fears/
"Dealers will upgrade engine control software. Customers will be advised when to bring their vans in for the free service, which will be available sometime before April 1."
CentralFla likes this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build
post #25 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 07:05 PM

Garage
Read up and report safety issues directly to NHTSA

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2017/C...FWD#complaints

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

post #26 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 02:07 PM

The dealer just got information today about the recall, but hasn't received the software. Since it will be a few weeks for a recall appointment, I made an appointment for a convenient day in March hoping that they will have the software by then. (My van has 18,000 miles and hasn't stalled.)

Recall for my van on mopar.com and NHSTA sites.

NHSTA info:
1Recalls
associated with this VIN
Jan 11,2018
Manufacturer Recall NumberU01
NHTSA Recall Number18V-TBD
Recall Status Recall Incomplete, remedy not yet available
Summary
Vehicles may experience an engine stall without prior warning, without lighting a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) and without setting any Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC). In the majority of cases the stalling occurs at low speed, while decelerating, while at idle or while negotiating a turn.

Safety Risk
Engine stalling results in a loss of motive power, which can cause vehicle crash without prior warning.

Remedy
The PCM must be reprogrammed with new software.

Manufacturer's Notes
For more information, visit recalls.mopar.com or call 1-800-853-1403. Please have your VIN ready when calling.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build
post #27 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 02:42 PM

Just MY opinion, personally I don't think they have a clue what is causing this. They are still not giving us details. I believe even after this update, this will continue.
I think these systems on these new cars are so complicated, even the OEM doesn't fully understand them.

Again only MY opinion.

TomR00

TomR00

-------------------------------------
2017 Pacifica Touring
Billit Metallic Silver
Build: 5/16
post #28 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR00 View Post
Just MY opinion, personally I don't think they have a clue what is causing this. They are still not giving us details. I believe even after this update, this will continue.
I think these systems on these new cars are so complicated, even the OEM doesn't fully understand them.

Again only MY opinion.

TomR00
Back in August, someone posted a similar opinion the main shutdown thread. The conceptual problem some will have is apparently it is a software fix, just like the patches you get on your computers and cell phones to correct security issues. There is no part to yank out and replace. And unfortunately the follow up is "negative" proof -- i.e. shutdowns will not happen.

And what will cloud THAT issue is that there will be stalls and failures, but (hopefully) not this mode. This fix appears to address ONE issue (albeit a big one) Engine stalls without warning, and after stopping, the car starts and runs normally and there are no codes. But if you looks at these threads, you see owners complaining about Hybrid issues, cars acting up, then stalling and refusing to move, etc. NOT THE PROBLEM THIS RECALL ADDRESSES.

So yes, we will have to take it on fingers crossed faith that this software fix will correct this one issue. Only time will tell, and you can bet the people on this thread will jump on any recurrence in a recalled van.
II Kings 9:20 likes this.

post #29 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrules View Post
I recall seeing some 2018's affected by it also (?)...thanks for posting.
Just today, my wife reported our 2018 stalled at an intersection. Just over 2k miles.....it had if got this correctly, gone into auto stop and would not restart. Had to shift to park and push start button again.
post #30 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Just today, my wife reported our 2018 stalled at an intersection. Just over 2k miles.....it had if got this correctly, gone into auto stop and would not restart. Had to shift to park and push start button again.
That's a tough one to pin down as whether it is a failure in the mode the recall addresses reaching into the 2018 MY -- I would guess not, since apparently there were no messages prior to attempting to move (whereas I believe the undesired shutdown immediately calls for the van to be put into park and restarted.)

But that brings up a question that has been brewing in the back of my mind for some time. This may not be the right thread for it, but since my van does not have ESS, and car rentals have not been ESS, I wonder how responsive an ESS van is to rapid acceleration from a stop. I ask because we have some intersections with stop signs that really need traffic lights as well as roads with basically non-existent acceleration lanes, and at peak times, you sometimes have to really punch it to get across / turn onto them safely. I realize that sounds like an oxymoron for safe driving, but the alternative in some cases to wait for rush hour to be over for really big breaks in the traffic stream. (And, also, as I said in earlier post, the main reason the stall issue always has me on edge.) A significant hesitation in the response to the acceleration demand would be problematic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page