Recall for Sudden Loss of Motive Power - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Recall for Sudden Loss of Motive Power

http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/new...id=18786&mid=1
Statement: Software Update

January 12, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC is voluntarily recalling an estimated 153,859 minivans in the U.S. to update certain software.

An investigation by FCA US has discovered that under a rare set of conditions, a vehicle’s engine control module (ECM) may incorrectly assess the engine’s operating status. If this occurs, the engine may stall.

Most such events known to FCA US reportedly occurred at idle or while starting, turning, or driving at low, steady speeds. Further, most were singular events that occurred over thousands of miles of travel, and customers were able to restart their vehicles immediately afterward.

The Company is aware of a single potentially related accident. FCA US is unaware of any potentially related injuries.

The campaign is limited to model-year 2017 Chrysler Pacifica minivans; hybrid versions are unaffected.

Customers will be advised when they may schedule service to install updated engine control software, which will be available – free of charge – from certified FCA US dealers. The Company urges customers to heed the instructions on all recall notices.

Customers with questions may call the FCA US Customer Care Center at 1-800-853-1403.

Additional vehicles will be subject to recall in Canada (est. 7,457), Mexico (est. 974) and certain markets outside the NAFTA region (est. 245).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:50 PM

Garage
I recall seeing some 2018's affected by it also (?)...thanks for posting.

2018 Touring L Plus - Granite Crystal Metallic / "S" Appearance / Black & Light Diesel Gray / 20" Black Noise Wheels / Advanced Safety Tech / Tri-Panoramic Sunroof / Uconnect Theater / 20 Speaker Harman Kardon / Hands-Free Doors / 3D MAXpider Mats / HID+LED Conversion / Rayno Phantom S9 Nano-Ceramic Tint / Vantrue N2 Pro Dual Dash Cam / Thule Motion XXL Roof Box / Lifetime Max Care Warranty / Tire & Wheel Warranty
post #3 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrules View Post
I recall seeing some 2018's affected by it also (?)...thanks for posting.
Yep...

post #4 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerlang View Post
FCA didn’t care until they saw it could hit their bottom line.
That's the way that Capitalism works - and the only way that Capitalism works...

2018 Bright White Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Ordered: 15 SEP 2017
VIN: 19 SEP 2017
D1: 19 SEP 2017
Build sheet: 25 SEP 2017
JS: 28 SEP 2017
SL: 28 OCT 2017
KZ: 29 OCT 2017
Sticker: 30 OCT 2017
Dealer: 21 NOV 2017
Possession: 28 NOV 2017
post #5 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 06:57 AM

The tit for tat is tiresome you guys. Enough already.

I for one am glad Chrysler found the bug that caused this even though I judged the risk of it occurring so low that it didn’t effect my family’s use of the Pacifica. This will be the third recall on the van but I knew what I was signing up for buying a first year model of an all-New platform & design. Still love our Pacifica.
Joyxpac, RayLin, soontobe and 4 others like this.
post #6 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Thread cleaned.

Let's get this thread back on track...I'd hate to have to close a thread on such an important topic because of the constant bickering that has ZERO benefit to the thread or members.

...or even worse accidentally merge another thread into it. :-)
BrettP, RayLin, keith and 2 others like this.

2017 PACIFICA LIMITED GRANITE CRYSTAL METALLIC, BLACK ALLOY, SAFETY TEC, UCONNECT THEATER/SOUND, 20" WHEELS. DELIVERED 09/12/16.

Last edited by irpilot; 01-13-2018 at 08:34 AM.
post #7 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

**If you experience a sudden loss of motive power in your 2017 or 2018, please make sure to file a report with NHTSA at nhtsa.gov.**

@irpilot You completely ruined a thread that had a lot of very important information for people who experienced a very scary defect. If you want to be helpful, go delete all the oil change posts in this thread:
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/...riving-96.html
post #8 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyk82 View Post
**If you experience a sudden loss of motive power in your 2017 or 2018, please make sure to file a report with NHTSA at nhtsa.gov.**

@irpilot You completely ruined a thread that had a lot of very important information for people who experienced a very scary defect. If you want to be helpful, go delete all the oil change posts in this thread:
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/...riving-96.html
@kellyk82 ...keep it up and you're going to be looking for a new forum to post in.

2017 PACIFICA LIMITED GRANITE CRYSTAL METALLIC, BLACK ALLOY, SAFETY TEC, UCONNECT THEATER/SOUND, 20" WHEELS. DELIVERED 09/12/16.
post #9 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge56 View Post
People are going crazy with this recall..SCARY DEFECT.... come on now! 50-60 out of 160,000... the cars engine shuts off... so what? Can you people only drive in perfect conditions? What would you do with a blowout tire? etc.
That's probably being a little strong. I do agree with you that likelihood that anybody having an accident or being injured is fairly small. In their recall announcement, FCA said they were aware of 1 accident that may be related, and it had no reported injuries. Nonetheless, many people have little to no experience driving in conditions that are substantially less than perfect, and doing so for them can be very scary indeed. I know people that won't drive if it's raining, so the prospect of a car shutting off, even if it is remote, would be a huge concern to them. And the fact that FCA says that an accident may be related tends to suggest that the chance of hazard is real, albeit small.

I spent most of my life driving vehicles that were MUCH less than perfect, even if the conditions were, so I feel pretty confident in my ability to handle things such as a blown tire or an engine seizure - especially since I have done both. I also feel that I could handle a car that stalls unexpectedly, but I certainly recognize that if it happened at just the wrong time, it may be unrecoverable and the consequences could be severe. I am VERY glad that FCA seems to have identified the problem and that they are taking action to rectify it. I also think that it is likely that @kellyk82 's efforts contributed to making that happen. I applaud her efforts. She largely refrained from hysteria but was persistent in encouraging people to document their experiences. I think that is exactly the right approach.

2018 Bright White Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Ordered: 15 SEP 2017
VIN: 19 SEP 2017
D1: 19 SEP 2017
Build sheet: 25 SEP 2017
JS: 28 SEP 2017
SL: 28 OCT 2017
KZ: 29 OCT 2017
Sticker: 30 OCT 2017
Dealer: 21 NOV 2017
Possession: 28 NOV 2017
post #10 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

@seo68

I agree 100% that she had a great deal to do with getting people together to file complaints to get this to happen. I disagree 100% with acting like 12 year olds and personally attacking other members...and this happened on both sides so again she's not at total fault. It takes 2 to tango as they say. But when this does happen as it has happened in the past it detracts and takes away from the discussion. Blaming me for "totally ruining" the other thread because I accidentally merged the oil change into the other thread is a pretty extreme and unrealistic accusation. I apologized and she still personally attacked me about it. She keeps it up and I will ban her no matter how helpful she has been. We are all adults here and as such should act like it.

I would like to ask everyone to not make comments if they don't contribute to this thread. If you have issues with another member message me or @generaltso and let us handle it.

Now let's get this thread back on topic and find out why this recall hasn't been applied to the 18's.
generaltso, smity84, DRZ and 1 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page