A new recall for Pacifica? - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciTchr View Post
Of course, once the trim piece is replaced under the recall, I will need to keep a screwdriver in the front drawer to access the tether if needed.
Oh Heavens!! DON;T do that!! In an accident, screwdrivers in the front drawer can become flying lethal weapons, or maybe put Ralphie Parker's eye out!! If CR finds out about this they will demand that a special "certified screwdriver safety holding container" be installed immediately.

Corollary question for the bulb experts: which LED is the best one to replace the bulb in a leg lamp?

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 01:51 AM

In country where sixteen lawyers will compete to help you sue anyone over anything, companies have no choice but to solve any exposed issue. I sometimes think that the real surprise is that the car companies are willing to keep making cars.
Norbert, mark and Longtimemopar like this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
Build date Oct 2016 - Delivered 11/30/16
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 08:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciTchr View Post
I checked the little square trim panel piece (about 1 inch square) in my van and it will come out of place using a fingernail, so it is probably considered too loose. If a child or someone who didn't realize what the red tether was for and pulled on it, the van could be put into neutral and possibly roll. I think that the design was that the trim piece should be tight enough that a screwdriver would be needed to pry it out of position.

On a separate issue, my question is whether pulling the tether would shift the transmission from drive (with the brake applied) to neutral since there have been a few times when the gear dial seemed stuck at drive after parking and I wondered what I was supposed to do if it didn't turn to the left after a couple of minutes. At least now there might be an option. Of course, once the trim piece is replaced under the recall, I will need to keep a screwdriver in the front drawer to access the tether if needed.
Do you have a picture of the panel? From the first description, I thought you were talking about the big panel that would be near your left knee while driving. That panel would take quite a force to pull it lose.

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly1101 View Post
Snowflakes at CR think Chrysler owners are stupid.
No - they know kids are smart and will pick and pull at anything, especially if left to play in the driver's seat with (one would hope) the vehicle stopped. Did you see the video of a 2 year old scaling a pool ladder in that was in the "safe" position? Watch: Child scales 'un-climbable' pool ladder in viral video | Boston Herald

No such thing as childproof -- only alert adults.

Reminds me of one of my tag lines I use on technical threads (especially help desk stories):
"Make something idiotproof and someone will invent a better idiot"
(for proof, look up the thread on this website where someone figured out [and basically boasted about it] how to open the sliding door with power while moving to save a few seconds on the school dropoff line.......)

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 11:49 AM

Wow. I gotta say, this is getting a bit ridiculous.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V395-8475.pdf
Longtimemopar likes this.

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 11:51 AM

And to prevent the protests from the grown ups who (rightly) want to make their own choices -- obviously this problem does not apply under normal circumstances. I would hope (except see above example) that the typical driver would not randomly pull on a red tether to see what happens......

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
Wow. I gotta say, this is getting a bit ridiculous.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V395-8475.pdf
And now that I look at the NHTSA link, not requiring a tool to access the tether is a regulation violation (I remember the shifter access on the T & C required a screwdriver to pop off the slot)

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 571.114 requires that if a gear selection control override option (MPR) is present, the device can only be removed (accessed) by using a screwdriver or other tool. For vehicles in the recall population, access to the MPR may be possible without the use of a screwdriver or other tool.

It looks like FCA caught the problem in March and implemented the redesigned cover in early April -- so it was discovered several months ago.

Whether that is child safety is a good question -- it comes up under theft protection, which, to quote TomB985, is ridiculous. The least competent thief would have a screwdriver...... so I'll stick with the real world problem of child safety (or one of Terrry Pratchett's Discworld wizards.....)

post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 12:17 PM

Garage
what if you need to use this feature and your not at home?? who the crap keeps a screwdriver in their car at all times?? this is what i call "the pussification of America"

I wasn't raised to be a Mopar guy. Now i have 2. Go figure!!

2017 Tusk White Pearl Chrysler Pacifica Touring - Dec. 2016 Build.
2017 Granite Crystal Metallic Dodge Journey GT Blacktop Edition - Feb. 2017 Build.
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 01:53 PM

They should make the cover removable by a special tool then include it next to or near the cover. Much like they do for sunroof emergency cranks.

2017 Billet/Alloy Limited - UConnect Theater/Sound, 20 inch Wheels, Safety Tec

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 02:10 PM

The recall date of manufacture starts with June 15th 2016. Well my Pacifica was manufactured in May of 2016. I guess I'm okay. I checked my Pacifica and was able to access the tether with my finger nail. Don't know why the recall does not cover vans made prior to June 15th, 2016 unless that is when the regulation went into effect.

In looking at the access cover, I think the only problem is the slot used to pry out the cover is too large. I expect the replacement will simply have a smaller slot like I've seen on other vehicles. You can't get your finger nail into the smaller slot. A small blade screw driver or a something small and thin such as a paperclip is needed.

I doubt that a child would accidently access the tether. More likely an adult poking around his new van. "Lookee here. I wonder what this little cover is for. Well it just pops right off. Looks like its attached to some kind of strap. I wonder what it does. I'll just give it a tug. Oh shi..!"

By the way, even if the recall applied to me, I would not have it done. I like the way the cover is now.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in