Recall V53 - Page 5 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 01:52 PM

They said the reason for the ESS error was a bad Aux battery. I will have to reiterate Monday that the V53 recall work would have been the cause of the battery going bad.

Did I already mention that their loaner ‘19 with 400 miles has the same error?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:44 PM

"I had no symptoms of power-steering issues or ESS ever before or when I took it in. "

Are you sure that the ESS worked when you brought the car in for the V53 Recall? You're not one of these people that disables the ESS right after starting the car are you? If you are, you may not have seen any ESS error message displayed before the recall was done.

If you're sure the ESS was enabled and active and actually went thru an ESS autostop and autostart sequence on the day you took it in for the V53 Recall, then it's almost a sure thing that the mechanic who did the recall screwed things up. He may have forgot to reconnect the negative terminal to the auxiliary battery when he was done. That might explain it.

2018 Pacifica Touring L
Velvet Red Pearl
Black/Alloy Interior
Advanced SafetyTec
Premium Audio
Tire and Wheel Group
Trailer Tow Group
KeySense
Alloy Seats
Power 8-Way Passenger Seat
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:32 AM

Certain. We never disable ESS, and it definitely cycled when it was driven to the service with no error messages.

One would hope (no guarantees) they would have checked all connections before they told me they tested and found a bad Aux Battery as the cause of the error.

Oh, and I got a VHR via email the day they did the recall service (late afternoon), 50 minutes before I received the call from them saying it was done, with this message: "Your vehicle's Charging System Warning Light recently indicated there may be a problem with the electrical charging system. Have your vehicle serviced at your dealership immediately."

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanoss View Post
Certain. We never disable ESS, and it definitely cycled when it was driven to the service with no error messages.

One would hope (no guarantees) they would have checked all connections before they told me they tested and found a bad Aux Battery as the cause of the error.

Oh, and I got a VHR via email the day they did the recall service (late afternoon), 50 minutes before I received the call from them saying it was done, with this message: "Your vehicle's Charging System Warning Light recently indicated there may be a problem with the electrical charging system. Have your vehicle serviced at your dealership immediately."
Is there a Charging System Warning Light? Where is it?

2018 Pacifica Touring L
Velvet Red Pearl
Black/Alloy Interior
Advanced SafetyTec
Premium Audio
Tire and Wheel Group
Trailer Tow Group
KeySense
Alloy Seats
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:32 PM

So, the dealer replaced the battery today, and they said FCA paid for it. I gently suggested that they review the V53 repair procedures, as it may be a systemic issue, and pointed him to the fact the loaner they gave me has the same message.

The Charging System Warning Light that the VHR mentioned was the "Stop/Start Unavailable Service Stop/Start System" and the ESS error light.

By the way, below is the message that comes up on that loaner, a '19 Touring L Plus built in August 2018.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TouringLPlus ESS Error.jpg (77.7 KB, 17 views)
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:07 PM

I don't suppose they ventured a guess as to why the battery went bad so fast, did they? Did they say it failed a load test? Somebody here said the average life of a Pacifica's auxiliary battery is about two years, so you probably did OK with yours, right? I'm glad you didn't get charged for it. But if your loaner car (a '19 Pacifica) has the same ESS error message, what does that tell us about how long they last?

I'm used to going 8-10 years before replacing my car batteries so that's going to sting a little unless it's still covered under warranty like yours was. FCA seems to be passing out new batteries like candy at a Shriner's Parade! I'm going to make a mental note to have both my batteries load tested before I get to 3 years or 36k miles.
Frig likes this.
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

Garage
Just to add my two cents, I had this power steering and ESS issue earlier in the year before the V53 recall and responded to this thread about steering problems back then. As of today, the Pacifica is operating as it should.

2018 Pacifica Touring-L Plus, Billet Metallic
  • S Appearance Package + 20" Wheels | MOPAR Front & Rear Splash Guards | Hands-Free Sliding Door & Liftgate | 3M Protection (Front & Rear Bumper, Hood, Wheel Wells, Mirrors, A-Frame, Door Sills)
  • 8 Passenger Seating | 3D MAXPider All Weather Floor Mats | Husky Weatherbeater Cargo Liner | Uconnect 4C
  • Build Date: December 27, 2017
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM

So there's good news and bad news with the V53 Recall. The bad news is that the grounding problem with the Auxiliary Battery eyelet seems to affect both the ESS and the power steering units on quite a few cars that have ESS installed. The good news is that the V53 Recall, when done correctly, seems to fix ALL known ESS and power steering problems. I would suggest that anyone who is still having ESS problems after having the V53 Recall done should have the V53 Recall done again. There just may be something with this recall that isn't getting done correctly or completely.

2018 Pacifica Touring L
Velvet Red Pearl
Black/Alloy Interior
Advanced SafetyTec
Premium Audio
Tire and Wheel Group
Trailer Tow Group
KeySense
Alloy Seats
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old Today, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenosavvy View Post
So there's good news and bad news with the V53 Recall. The bad news is that the grounding problem with the Auxiliary Battery eyelet seems to affect both the ESS and the power steering units on quite a few cars that have ESS installed. The good news is that the V53 Recall, when done correctly, seems to fix ALL known ESS and power steering problems. I would suggest that anyone who is still having ESS problems after having the V53 Recall done should have the V53 Recall done again. There just may be something with this recall that isn't getting done correctly or completely.
Might it also be the case for some, if your aux battery has been so depleted even after the performed recall it just can't recover?

If I had the recall performed and my ESS system still isn't functioning properly I'd consider getting my aux battery load tested and if you were to have it replaced you would still have to somehow (???) confirm it was being charged properly as you drive to ensure the recall actually fixed the ground issues.
Frig likes this.

2019 Limited, Luxury White, HK Sound, Tow Group, Advanced Safety Tec Group

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page