Aftermarket Hitch Recommendations - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:05 PM

I just got a Limited without the tow package and would like to add a 2" hitch for a bike rack, and sometimes a cargo container for family road trips.

Never towed anything so I'm a complete novice at this. Help from experienced members would be appreciated.

I gather that tongue weight and tow capacity are two different things. The OP talked about a 750 lb container. That seems like a LOT of weight hanging off the rear of the vehicle. Esp if there are passengers back there. The common weight capacity seems to be 500 lbs and even that seems like a lot. Steering, braking and stability would no doubt be affected, and not in a good way. Thoughts?

With a cargo carrier do we need lights, or are brake lights and turn signals just for trailers? Also, does the license plate have to be relocated? Won't it be blocked with a big box on the back of the van? Can't imagine law enforcement would be thrilled if they can't see the tags.

Finally, what is the experience here with those that have installed gear like I want? What did you use, whare did you get it, and are you happy with it?

Help on any of these questions would be much appreciated

Thanks, Steve
NavyChief likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:52 PM

Rodeo,

Your correct, tongue weight and tow capacity are two different things but they are related. Typically you want the tongue weight to be about 15% of the trailer weight. So 85% of the trailer weight is on the trailer wheels and 15% is on the tow vehicle hitch. This provides stability while towing. Too little tongue weight and the trailer becomes unstable and will start swaying back and forth. This can become severe enough to cause loss of control. Too much tongue weight can lift the front of the vehicle resulting in loss of control.

The maximum tongue weight is 360 pounds for a Pacifica with the factory installed tow package and 149 pounds without. Yes, the load in the cargo area must be considered. If the cargo carrier obstructs the view of the rear lights or license plate then, legally, you would need to add lights and plate to you carrier. I would try to get a carrier that is low enough not to obstruct the lights or plate.
NavyChief likes this.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee View Post
Rodeo,

Your correct, tongue weight and tow capacity are two different things but they are related. Typically you want the tongue weight to be about 15% of the trailer weight. So 85% of the trailer weight is on the trailer wheels and 15% is on the tow vehicle hitch. This provides stability while towing. Too little tongue weight and the trailer becomes unstable and will start swaying back and forth. This can become severe enough to cause loss of control. Too much tongue weight can lift the front of the vehicle resulting in loss of control.

The maximum tongue weight is 360 pounds for a Pacifica with the factory installed tow package and 149 pounds without. Yes, the load in the cargo area must be considered. If the cargo carrier obstructs the view of the rear lights or license plate then, legally, you would need to add lights and plate to you carrier. I would try to get a carrier that is low enough not to obstruct the lights or plate.
Thanks Shawnee, good info

150 lbs sounds reasonable, I would think that would be enough for a family trip.

Anybody carrying a cargo container on a trailer hitch? Anyone have Pics? Recommendations? I'd like to avoid rookie mistakes with your help.

Thanks, Steve

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
Anybody carrying a cargo container on a trailer hitch? Anyone have Pics? Recommendations? I'd like to avoid rookie mistakes with your help.
I've used this one, but not with the Pacifica.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:10 AM

Not half as nice as the general's but a lot cheaper:
Aluminum Hitch Cargo Carrier - 500 lb. Capacity

I bought it to use with my T&C, and made the poor move of not ordering a tow package for the Pacifica - thought I'd save money, with a Curtis or draw-tite going for under $150, vs Mopar at almost a grand. But seeing the machinations required for the after market I haven't done it yet.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts. - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:02 PM

Dewey,

I too am in the same boat. I have a cargo carrier that fits in a 2" trailer receiver like yours that will carry roughly 150 lbs. I have been waiting since last year for Chrysler to come out with a trailer/towing package for the Pacifica. We bought our Limited back in June of 2016. They were not supposed to hit the market until September. So needless to say they jumped the gun on some things because my Limited was supposed to come "Standard" with certain items like hands-free door sensors but did not. Additionally, there was no towing package for it either and I didn't want to install an aftermarket hitch.

In talking with the dealership, they told me that Chrysler was still working it out and didn't know if they will have to redesign the rear bumper to install the tow package. I think I am leaning towards getting the factory package. I think I would rather have the peace of mind in the long haul having the transmission cooler than not when towing my trailer.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyChief View Post
I think I am leaning towards getting the factory package. I think I would rather have the peace of mind in the long haul having the transmission cooler than not when towing my trailer.
I haven't seen any indication that Chrysler will be offering a factory tow package that can be added after it's built. I'm sure you could order the required parts (at a substantial cost), but you'd still be stuck with the lower towing capacity of 1500 lbs.

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:40 PM

That is a good point! I did not think about that. The Dealership talked it up like it would be no problem at all to add a towing package onto it once Chrysler had it figured out. I will dig into that a little bit more. I have pulled up some of the other links posted by other folks. I may have to resort to an aftermarket. Guess that's what I get for being too motivated. Thanks for the perspective.

-Jason
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyChief View Post
The Dealership talked it up like it would be no problem at all to add a towing package onto it once Chrysler had it figured out.
Unfortunately, some dealers will talk up just about anything if it might increase their chances of a sale.
gory, Starhawk and tfischer like this.

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:59 PM

Oem hitch is around $350, Harness $250. PLus couple small parts that the parts guy cannot locate. Installation my quote is $575 at $175/hr. Max towing 1500lbs. I didn't inquire about the sway bar and the larger radiator. Wish Chrysler comes up with towing install package.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page