Aftermarket Hitch Recommendations - Page 3 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_wt View Post
Damoncaravanman, did you find/install the airlift kit, I have an after market hitch and would like additional support

Thanks
I have an un-opened Air Lift kit that was for my 2014 Town and Country and I keep emailing Air Lift to see if it will fit or if they have made a kit yet and here was the last response from 3/9/2017:

" Nope still a work in progress.

We are getting one in here to take a look at in the next few weeks, but it will be a while before the kit will be approved and on the market if all goes well.

MIKE WHITELY
Customer Service Manager "

Damon
1985 Dodge Caravan LE cream w/wood
1985 Dodge Caravan LE mink brown w/wood
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited in Tusk White
several other cars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitydrop View Post
Oem hitch is around $350, Harness $250. PLus couple small parts that the parts guy cannot locate. Installation my quote is $575 at $175/hr. Max towing 1500lbs. I didn't inquire about the sway bar and the larger radiator. Wish Chrysler comes up with towing install package.
Chrysler really doesn't have any incentive to offer a non-factory installed tow package as no one would order the factory package if the after kit was cheaper. Tongue weight really suffers with an after market setup for all who are contemplating a cargo carrier. 150# is pretty low and then you have to deduct the weight of the carrier before adding cargo. Couple of bikes maybe or a couple of tubs.

Lazyace13

2017 Limited
Billet Silver/Alloy/Black
Tow Group
Adv. Safety Tech.
8 Pass/20" wheels
NO sunroof, NO DVD, NO Kids!
Seniors
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 10:24 PM

Hi.

I am thinking about installing a towing hitch to my Pacifca too.
I don't like these bulky big hitches sticking out under bumpers. Can anyone post pictures of installed aftermarket hitch?
How visible they are from a side and back? Which one is more "hidden"?

Draw-Tite - Class 3
https://www.carid.com/2017-chrysler-...123245812.html

or

CURT - Class 3
https://www.carid.com/2017-chrysler-...138331440.html

Thanks.

2017 Pacifica Touring L - Dark Cordovan

Last edited by byab; 06-10-2017 at 10:29 PM.

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 12:58 AM

There's an excellent write up in the general discussion section by 11 kings, with pictures.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts. - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyf View Post
There's an excellent write up in the general discussion section by 11 kings, with pictures.
Thank you.

2017 Pacifica Touring L - Dark Cordovan
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 11:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyace13 View Post
...Tongue weight really suffers with an after market setup for all who are contemplating a cargo carrier. 150# is pretty low ...
Not sure where you got that from. Maybe for a 1.25" hitch? The 2" DrawTite and Curt hitches are over 400 lbs and more than the Mopar OEM hitch at 350 lbs. I agree, weird since they only bolt on at the bottom and are not integrated into the bumper frame like the OEM hitch.

Don't forget the loss in height with the aftermarket hitches.

* Geez guys, finish your location and signature w model!

DRIVING - 17 Pacifica Hybrid Platinum CDN Granite Grey, Chargepoint EVSE & 240V OEM, Full WeatherTech Sunroof Deflector + Mats, Front MOPAR Mudflaps, Winter RWC 17" + MOPAR TPMS + Michelin Xi2
SOLD - 08 Honda Odyssey Touring White no PAX
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gory View Post
Not sure where you got that from. Maybe for a 1.25" hitch? The 2" DrawTite and Curt hitches are over 400 lbs and more than the Mopar OEM hitch at 350 lbs..
Those numbers are meaningless. The ONLY numbers that matter are the ones published by FCA in the owner's manual... and that says the maximum tongue weight for vehicles without the factory tow package is 150#

Towing weights is always the LOWEST of the vehicle's numbers and the aftermarket hitch's numbers.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfischer View Post
Those numbers are meaningless. The ONLY numbers that matter are the ones published by FCA in the owner's manual... and that says the maximum tongue weight for vehicles without the factory tow package is 150#

Towing weights is always the LOWEST of the vehicle's numbers and the aftermarket hitch's numbers.

Trailer tongue weight and the weight of a hitch mounted accessory (i.e. bike rack) are two different things.

The trailer tongue weight is measured at the receiver ball which places the weight closer to the rear axle than where the weight of a fully loaded bike rack would be. This means the loaded bike rack may need to weigh less than the max rated tongue weight. But not necessarily.

The max tongue weight is an important consideration when towing a trailer as it is related to overall stability of the tow vehicle and trailer combination. However, for an hitch mounted accessory, "tongue weight" is not a factor. It really comes down to how much weight can the suspension carry as well as the trailer hitch itself.

The max tongue weight is generally rated at 10% of the max trailer weight. This appears to be the case with the Pacifica. With respect to load on the hitch, this only means that the tongue weight cannot exceed 150 pounds when towing a max trailer weight of 1500 pounds.

Given there is nothing that indicates the factory installed trailer package includes any suspension upgrades that increases the Pacifica's weight carrying capacity, a Pacifica without the factory trailer tow package should have the same hitch accessory weight carrying capacity as one with the factory trailer tow package.

The things to consider is that the hitch mounted accessory weight does not exceed the capacity of the hitch and the amount and location of the weight behind the vehicle does not affect vehicle stability.

Think about this, you would not want to place 700 pounds of something in the Pacifica behind the third row seats. The van can certainly haul 700 pounds with no problem but all that weight at the back will make the van unstable. This is similar for the hitch mounted accessory. It is about weight location not "tongue weight".
gory and Rodeo like this.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 04:59 AM

I am confused about this. I came looking because even though the dealership that sold us the van assured us that it was rated for 3600 lbs I am now seeing that the Mopar page for my car says 1500. I was adamant that I only wanted a van that could haul my husband's scooter and tow at least a small pop up camper The one that we were looking at was about 2500 lbs loaded. I also explained that we needed to be able to tow a handicap scooter and an electronic lift for it - the 2 together weigh around 225 lbs. Maybe a little more. I wouldn't even go look at it until I made sure of the towing capacity.

They had to check to make sure my van rated for that. I think they even called us back the next day because they wanted to make sure that was what it was rated for. Even once we came in to see it we made them double check because I didn't want anything that couldn't tow what we needed it to.

As it is my husband's scooter has been sitting for almost a year because we've had so much trouble with the van that we still haven't gotten a hitch on it. We had it scheduled to be done last December. But the check engine light came back on and the dealership had it for so long that we couldn't get it done before we traveled at Christmas. I was going to get done in Florida but it had to go back in the shop again. and again... It hasn't been out of the shop long enough in the months since to get it done. Not that I would want to when the van is defective.

After I saw the 1500 lb rating I tried asking "Chrysler Cares" and they never answered. The salesman insists that they confirmed that it was rated for 3600 lbs. Which I swear is what the Mopar site said when I first signed up. It doesn't now though.

I am so fed up with Chrysler. My husband is disabled and there are times that he really needs his scooter. On top of that when we visit my parents we would usually take our van because it's large. My dad always needs his scooter. Now I'm finding out that I might have been misinformed about yet another thing by Chrysler representatives. Looks like others were mislead too. Are salesman really allowed to lie in order to get a sale?

2017 Chrysler Pacificia Touring - NIGHTMARE!
Over 143 days in the shop.. - and counting!

1984 Chevrolet Silverado - 300,000 plus miles.

One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 07:48 AM

Garage
@WolfsLady sorry you're in a frustrating situation. Does your van have the tow package? It should state that on your window sticker. If yes, it is rated at 3600lbs from the factory.

If no, there are aftermarket hitches made for our vans that are rated to 3500-4000lbs (here's one from Curt: https://www.curtmfg.com/part/13383). The tow package from factory is welded directly to the beefy metal bumper so it looks to be stronger than one you'd add in later (in my opinion), however, I've used Curt aftermarket hitches before and they are a good brand. Hard to tell whether Chrysler is downplaying aftermarket hitches by saying they can only do 1500lbs because the mounting location on the van is less strong than factory OR they just want to push their factory option. After inspecting the factory tow hitch just now, I'm impressed with the structure so it may in fact be a stronger (safer) way to tow 3600lbs. While there are other features that come with the factory tow package, the most important is how the hitch attaches to the vehicle which gives it strength. You'd be best to consult with a reputable aftermarket hitch shop and see what they say about the strength of an aftermarket hitch rated for 3500lbs (like the link I enclosed above) - that shop may stand behind their assessment and installation based on how it is mounted on the van.

As for what salesmen/women tell you, that's no different from one dealer to the next (across ALL car companies, no need to single out Chrysler, though some dealers may be less slimy than others) - it sounds bad, but you have to assume sales people DON'T KNOW ANYTHING about the vehicles they sell and instead do your own research. READ the published sales literature, even read this forum. I've witnessed many sales people lie - not always maliciously, just out of ignorance.

On a side note, if your van's been in the shop so long, maybe that dealer's the problem? might not hurt to get it somewhere else for a fresh set of eyes or perhaps they have more experience

2018 TL+ Jazz Blue / "S" Appearance / Advanced Safety Tech / 8-seat / Towing / 18" stock winter wheels / 20 Speaker HK / spare tire / splash guards / keysense. Ordered 4/6/18, built 4/13/18, Upfit complete 4/25/18, Arrival ETA available on 4/30 (5/5-5/15), unloaded from train in Jessup, MD 5/6, trucked to dealer 5/16
Mods: 19" MSW Type 48 Black wheels w/wider 255 tires, LED conversion, Husky Xact Floormats, Ceramic Tint, aukey DS02 dashcam
Next up: Shop manual

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page