Aftermarket Hitch Recommendations - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Aftermarket Hitch Recommendations

I was looking at ordering the tow package but instead found a great deal at quarter-end (4.25% below invoice). So we pulled the trigger on a Limited yesterday.

I'm not looking to tow anything significant. I have the F150 in the stable for that. However, we used a cargo carrier on the Acadia that the Pacifica is replacing for extra capacity on road trips like the one below.

750 lb. Capacity Heavy Duty Folding Cargo Carrier

I wanted to see if anyone had installed an aftermarket hitch.

1) What brand/model?
2) How difficult was the install?
3) Does it look clean/flush with the bumper or hang below (pics would be ideal)?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 11:04 AM

dewey,

i'm also looking for a hitch as well and have the same questions as you. if you've found anything further on your own could you please keep us posted? i'll do the same. right now just seems that the minivan is so new i'm hesitant about any hitches (curt, etrailers, uhaul)...

regards,
eric
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 10:01 AM

Curt and Draw-Tite both make Pacifica-specific hitches... both Class II and Class III. I haven't purchased or installed one either as of yet... just sharing the info I saw.

2017 Chrysler Pacifica Trailer Hitches & Towing - CARiD.com

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 04:07 PM

I'm planning on ordering the Draw-tite class III from https://www.etrailer.com/

If someone hasn't updated this by then I'll let you know how the install goes, but I predict it'll be just like the past hitches I've bought through them - easy peasy.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 07:10 PM

Will you be getting/including 7 pin and 4 pin wiring as part of your order? Hopefully it goes smooth.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 05:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
I was looking at ordering the tow package but instead found a great deal at quarter-end (4.25% below invoice). So we pulled the trigger on a Limited yesterday.

I'm not looking to tow anything significant. I have the F150 in the stable for that. However, we used a cargo carrier on the Acadia that the Pacifica is replacing for extra capacity on road trips like the one below.

750 lb. Capacity Heavy Duty Folding Cargo Carrier

I wanted to see if anyone had installed an aftermarket hitch.

1) What brand/model?
2) How difficult was the install?
3) Does it look clean/flush with the bumper or hang below (pics would be ideal)?

Thanks
Not sure the tongue weight (350) will support that at 750 pounds.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 03:15 AM

Trailer hitch

I just installed a Draw Tite 76046 on my Touring L.

I got it from: Draw-Tite Hitch | Free Shipping on DrawTite Trailer Hitch
It was then on sale for $111.99 with no tax and free shipping. It is now $139.99
They have a 1 year price match gaurantee: AutoAnything Policies and Programs

Etrailer has it for $126.95 with free shipping.

There is also a hitch/wiring package on Ebay but it is a 1.25" : 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Trailer Hitch w Wiring Kit Class II Draw Tite Brand New | eBay

I opted for the 2" receiver as more things can fit into them. (bike racks, cargo carriers,etc)

There are 2 different wiring harnesses, the 118712 for Touring L, Touring L Plus, and Limited and the 118723 for the LX and Touring.
I ended up spending $38 for mine. I usually hard wire into the lighting system but didn't want to take any chances. These kits are pretty much plug and play.

The installation was easy. I didn't have to jack up van. The instructions have you cut away more heat shield and trim panel than you have to. I only cut about 1/3 of the
recommended area. Experiment; you can always trim more. The hardest part are the rubber hangers for the exhaust. Put dish soap on them to make them easier to remove/install.
Threading the bolts wasn't too hard. I used anti-seize on the bolts and torqued them to 110 ft/lbs. Nuts above muffler required universal joint. Whole job took me about 90 minutes.
BrettP likes this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 06:43 PM

I could be wrong, but the towing rating for the Pacifica is 1500 lbs without the factory installed towing package.
35(6)00 lbs with the package.
Possibly the dealer could install the kit, but I don't think so.
The Ford Escape is the same.
It has to have the package factory installed and that gets you the stabilization module along with the heavy duty bits and pieces.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 12:28 AM

Even though I ordered the tow package, I think I will be putting in the airbags in the springs......uh, oh, does the Pacifica have rear springs??
AIR LIFT 60818 1000 Series Rear Air Spring Kit is what I was thinking for no rear sag.

Damon
1985 Dodge Caravan LE cream w/wood
1985 Dodge Caravan LE mink brown w/wood
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited in Tusk White
several other cars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:12 PM

Damoncaravanman, did you find/install the airlift kit, I have an after market hitch and would like additional support

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in