Realistic Tow Rating +/- 2600 lbs - Page 5 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlreese View Post
Interesting as I just rented a Pacifica and was slightly above the max cargo capacity. I found the transmission to struggle at low speeds, but it was fine at highway speeds.
Weird. I thought it behaved extremely well at any speed... though I mainly drove highway through the Rockies. In fact, when I first tested towing a car on a 2-wheel dolly, I had forgot to unset the e-brake on the car. I didn't even notice it was leaving two trails of shredded rubber until I stopped a block later! (Yes, I had to replace the rear tires on that car).

What were you towing (trailer+cargo)? Just wondering if you were more than slightly above max...

2017 Gas Touring L, Curt hitch, 13" aftermarket overhead screen
2018 Limited PacHy, Curt hitch, Weathertech, B1W hardwired dashcam
2019 Limited S PacHy, Drawtite hitch, Weathertech, B1W hardwired dashcam

Last edited by dotbot; 08-07-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotbot View Post
Weird. I thought it behaved extremely well at any speed. In fact, when I first tested towing a car on a 2-wheel dolly, I had forgot to unset the e-brake on the car. I didn't even notice it was leaving two trails of shredded rubber until I stopped a block later! (Yes, it was an expensive mistake).

What were you towing (trailer+cargo)? Just wondering if you were more than slightly above max...
This was without the trailer. I have never had any issues here on the east coast with my personal pacifica and trailer.

However, I just vacationed out west in a rental Pacifica which was over the max cargo capacity (though by at most 100 lbs) and the transmission just did not know what to do at low speeds, on inclines, at altitude. In normal it would not downshift fast enough and in Low it would not upshift fast enough.
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:03 PM

Oaky, I have looked at all the replies and questions here but I have to ask directly:

I have a 2017 Pacifica WITHOUT the towing package.
The Trailer I am looking at is:

Dry Weight 4,135
Hitch Weight 499
Payload Cap 3326

Of course the dealer says I can tow this.

What is the real truth?

Dave

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethevoice View Post
Oaky, I have looked at all the replies and questions here but I have to ask directly:

Dry Weight 4,135
Hitch Weight 499
Payload Cap 3326

What is the real truth?

Dave

FCA specifies 1500 lbs max towing capacity if not equipped with factory tow package. Given the factory tow package ups the trailer weight to 3600lbs but adds nothing to beef up the suspension and only a relatively small increase in cooling capacity, one could argue that even without the factory tow package, your Pacifica should be okay pulling 3600 lbs. BUT, the trailer you are looking at weighs 4135 dry. This far exceeds the Pacifica's capability as does the tongue weight. Maybe the trailer dealer can explain why he/she thinks it is suitable for your Pacifica.
mattlreese, dotbot and thclimer like this.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:06 AM

Quote:

Dry Weight 4,135
Hitch Weight 499
Payload Cap 3326

Sure you can tow it, but it's beyond what the Pacifica is designed to handle, would void any warranty work Chrysler might be asked to do, and is potentially dangerous.

However, if you want to give yourself some ammunition if you decide you want to trust the dealer you could ask for it in writing with the general manager's signature. If the dealer won't give it then you have your answer.
mattlreese likes this.
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Dry Weight 4,135
Hitch Weight 499
Payload Cap 3326

What is the real truth?

Dave
The Pacifica engine is rated to 6200 lbs in the Dodge Durango and its the same engine so the V6 can more then handle that load. I can not comment on the transmission but it could likely handle it too.

No way the Pacifica suspension can handle that tongue weight though. You would be dragging the hitch on the ground.

2018 Pacifica Touring plus
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:42 PM

Generally speaking, if you have to ask if you can tow something of a certain weight and you already know it exceeds the factory towing capacity of the vehicle, the answer is "no." But, generally speaking, that isn't the answer most folks who ask the question want to hear. I guess there's only one way to find out, and that is to buy and install a hitch and wiring and actually try it. Let's hope your Pacifica, as well as other motorists, aren't affected by your decision if you are wrong. Let us know how it goes.
mattlreese and Bond007 like this.

2018 Pacifica Touring L Plus (gas)
Built April 10, 2018 (Tuesday)
Molten silver exterior
Toffee cognac alloy interior (gray carpeting)
Advanced Safety Tech
18" tire/wheel group (Michelin Premier tires)
Spare tire kit w/tire, sealer and inflator
Mopar Lifetime warranty

Mods:
Lumar AIR 80 front side window tint.
Maxpider Kagu front mats (with thanks to thread started by Chase023 in Accessories and Add Ons forum).
Alla 7443 LED brake/turn signal bulbs (with thanks to Josef15111 sticky in Electronics forum).
iJDMTOY Amber CAN-bus PWY24W LED front turn signal bulbs (credit same Josef15111 sticky).
JDM ASTAR 1200 lumens LED backup bulbs (with thanks to KorbenD in LED Replacement Lights topic of Electronics subforum).
Catizon H11 LEDs CREE for fogs (with thanks to Stop-Eject in LED Replacement Lights topic; and for his instructions).
VLED Micro LED 9011 low-beams (with thanks to Fast55 for advice on beam pattern)
Viofo A119S dash cam (have A118 on my 4Runner)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page