Realistic Tow Rating +/- 2600 lbs - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Realistic Tow Rating +/- 2900 lbs

A word of caution to all those who tow or are thinking of towing with the Pacifica and want to do so legally & "by the book."

By the time you add the weight of your family members, trailer tongue weight & all your cargo/stuff, you will likely have only +/-2900 lbs left for the weight of the trailer before you run up against the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) limit of 8600 lbs.

Do some math before hooking up that trailer or shopping for one if using your Pacifica as the tow vehicle. While your exact trailer weight limit will differ somewhat from my calculations, the fact remains that it will be significantly less than 3500 lbs advertised max Rating unless driver is only passenger & van is completely empty.

Here are my calculations:

My Pacifica Tire Placard Load Limit: 1240 lbs
My Pacifica Curb Weight: 4680 lbs
(Touring L+ w/ 18" wheels, spare tire kit, 8th seat & full tank of gas on certified scale)

1240 Pacifica Load Limit
-290 Trailer Tongue Weight
-725 Passenger Weight (Family of 5)
-225 Cargo (Coolers, luggage, camp gear)
At max load

8600 GCWR
-950 Pacifica Load Weight less Tounge Load
-4680 Pacifica Curb Weight
-2970 Loaded Trailer Weight
At max GCWR

Be safe out there!
migs likes this.

Last edited by Nails1; 08-16-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 01:43 PM

Not familiar with pop-ups, but can you put your coolers & some of the luggage in the camper? I'd suppose if you could put some of that weight on or behind the axles on the camper that would free-up some weight from your GCWR...

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

And don't forget that trailer brakes are required to tow anything over 2000 lbs.

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
Not familiar with pop-ups, but can you put your coolers & some of the luggage in the camper? I'd suppose if you could put some of that weight on or behind the axles on the camper that would free-up some weight from your GCWR...
In my original post, I was describing how easy it is to bump up against the combined weight limit of the Pacifica & trailer. Unfortunately, shifting weight of cargo from the Pacifica to the trailer doesn't change the combined weight of both being at the limit.

If one were bumping up against the load limit of only the Pac, shifting weight to the trailer may help out so long as you don't exceed the maximum load carrying capacity of the trailer.

Last edited by Nails1; 08-16-2017 at 03:34 PM.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nails1 View Post
A word of caution to all those who tow or are thinking of towing with the Pacifica and want to do so legally & "by the book."

By the time you add the weight of your family members, trailer tongue weight & all your cargo/stuff, you will likely have only +/-2600 lbs left for the weight of the trailer before you run up against the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) limit of 8600 lbs.

Do some math before hooking up that trailer or shopping for one if using your Pacifica as the tow vehicle. While your exact trailer weight limit will differ somewhat from my calculations, the fact remains that it will be significantly less than 3500 lbs advertised max Rating unless driver is only passenger & van is completely empty.

Here are my calculations:

My Pacifica Tire Placard Load Limit: 1240 lbs
My Pacifica Curb Weight: 4680 lbs
(Touring L+ w/ 18" wheels, spare tire kit, 8th seat & full tank of gas on certified scale)

1240 Pacifica Load Limit
290- Trailer Tongue Weight
725- Passenger Weight (Family of 5)
225- Cargo (Coolers, luggage, camp gear)
At max load

8600 GCWR
1240- Pacifica Max Carried Load
4680- Pacifica Curb Weight
2680- Loaded Trailer Weight (pop-up lightly loaded)
At max GCWR

Be safe out there!
Nails1,
You wrote a good message regarding the intricacies of trailer tow capacity, gross vehicle weight and GCWR. But I think you "double dipped" on the tongue weight. In your example the trailer weight can be 2970. This is the total value of what you describe as the loaded trailer weight and the tongue weight. The tongue weight comes from the trailer so it needs to be included as part of the loaded trailer weight not as a separate load on the van when calculating GCWR. The tongue weight does come into play when distributing the load to ensure the van rear axle is not overloaded and there is adequate tongue weight to ensure stability.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Shawnee: You are absolutely right. Thanks for pointing out my error. Tongue weight should NOT be included in calculating GCWR. I am so glad I posted my calculations. For future readers of this thread, I've edited my original post to reflect the correction. Unfortunately, I can't seem to change the title of the thread to now read 2900 lbs. Although with more passengers or adults instead of kids, the 2600 lbs may be correct. Point remains, with every passenger carried and with every piece of cargo added to the van, the less trailer weight one can tow. Don't assume you can tow any trailer up to 3500 lbs because that's the advertised max tow rating.

Last edited by Nails1; 08-16-2017 at 04:44 PM.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 09:02 PM

If it is just the driver (of average weight) with no cargo or minimal cargo maybe 50lbs in a suitcase then can the max towing be as advertised? And isn't it advertised as 3600 lbs? Or am I missing something? They didn't false advertise they just didn't give an appropriate explanation as to how they came to their numbers.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Cue003: Yes indeed you are missing something. In what reasonably can be assumed to be a cynical & dishonest attempt to one up Honda & Toyota, Chrysler lists the Pacifica tow Rating as 3600 lbs, 100 lbs greater than Siena & Oddy. In the Pacifica owner's manual, in the Towing limits table, the 3600 lb tow rating has an asterisk with it. The asterisk below the table states that the tow rating must be reduced by 100 lbs if equipped with fold in floor seats. All Pacificas come with fold in floor seats, thus 3500 lb limit.

Why not list the tow rating as 10000 lbs with a footnote that says if equipped with an engine the tow rating must be reduced by 6500 lbs. 🙄
Eco likes this.

Last edited by Nails1; 08-17-2017 at 01:08 AM.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:55 PM

Also don't forget that 3500lbs. is only with the factory installed tow package. Any aftermarket or factory hitch added afterward, the vehicle is only rated for 1500lbs. towing capacity. This is due to the factory tow package also includes a heavy duty radiator, higher amperage battery, and computer software upgrade that helps stabilize the vehicle when towing.

TomR00
Eco likes this.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
A 3000lb pop-up camper would be a very beefy pop-up. They tend to be more like 1500-2000lb.

A 3000lb camper would be more like this, which I probably wouldn't tow with a minivan in the first place. That's a death trap. You're towing half the minivan's mass behind it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page