Trailer brake option? - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:50 AM

Brake Controller

Has anybody installed a brake controller? While my 2017 Pacifica has a factory installed hitch it did not come with a brake controller. Here in CA the tow limit without a brake controller is 1500# and I will be towing around 3000#.

All the lighting features such as turn, brake, running lights came wired and working at the hitch end, nothing was needed to do. But a brake controller needs to be accessed and adjusted from the driver seat and there is no reference to that.

I would hope that Chrysler has a brake controller or recommended option and that it plugs into a harness under the dash as all the other tow wiring is already in place. I asked several dealers and used the 'Assist' feature (technician looks in manual but finds nothing). Several days have passed without any answers. I have used U-Haul to install in the past and am sure they can do the job but it would mean cobbled up wiring and potential warranty issues.

Thx

Qz
2017 Pacifica Limited, White, Tow, Vac, Adv. SafetyTec, UConnect Theater HK 760W, 18" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:08 AM

Hey kshermy. See the following posts. This was discussed in the past. Hope it helps.

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/...html#post27370
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Hi kshermy, welcome to the forum! I've merged your thread into this one that cue003 referenced.

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:10 AM

For my trailer brake setup, I used the Tekonsha to Mopar wiring plug adapter (part #3045-P from Etrailer) & a Tekonsha brake controller. The factory tow harness plug connector is attached with a black plastic clip to a wiring loom near & up above where the steering column goes through the firewall. The factory plug comes with a bright green male plug end with no wires in it snapped in the female part of the plug. The male part needs to be taken out to connect the Tekonsha adapter's male plug. It is really tight quarters to reach in and work in. See my earlier posts for controller mounting options in the Pacifica. The knee bolster air bag occupies nearly all the space under the dash so be safe and disable the airbag while your working under there.
kshermy likes this.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:11 PM

Sorry I missed the existing controller discussion when I first posted but was delighted to find your
Quote:
spot on
solution to my problem.

Thanks for the comprehensive description of the parts required and the installation issues. I had looked for the connector and failed. Certainly appears I could have caused myself some grief under the dashboard. I expected to install this myself but with the airbag issue I think I will just get the parts and let the dealer do it.

Qz
2017 Pacifica Limited, White, Tow, Vac, Adv. SafetyTec, UConnect Theater HK 760W, 18" Wheels
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshermy View Post
I expected to install this myself but with the airbag issue I think I will just get the parts and let the dealer do it.
If you're going to pay the dealer for an install, it may not be that much more expensive to just go with a wireless brake controller.

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:07 PM

Nails1 - Are you describing a 2017 Pacifica? What I see is a U-jointed steering column pretty much exiting engine side out near floor level. Actually nice tidy wiring and tons of room as under dashboard goes. Makes me want to just plug in the harness, but alas, no mating connector in sight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pacifica2017_Steering.jpg (146.4 KB, 101 views)

Qz
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:17 PM

generaltso - Wireless would make locating and removing the controller very convenient and I'm all for that. But I still need to plug in a wireless dongle to my control wiring harness and my immediate problem seems to be locating that under the dash plug. Thanks

Qz
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:36 PM

I am going from memory here. I installed my brake controller in my Pacifica last August. I recall the plug being left of the steering column, maybe close to the brake switch & up about 6-8 inches. The factory plug is not dangling down. It is clipped to a bundle of wires encased with black mesh wiring loom. I will check to see if I have any photos.

Last edited by Nails1; 01-09-2017 at 12:09 AM.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:48 AM

https://pacificaforums.com/showthread.php/124257-Pacifica-Trailer-Tow-Group?referrerid=15344

Check out my thread from another forum. Correction to my prior post. The area to find the factory plug is 6 inches above the OBDII port.

Last edited by Nails1; 01-09-2017 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page