brake Controler - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

brake Controler

Has anyone installed a brake controller on a van without the factory tow package. I am trying to get an idea where to put it and how to wire it into the van.

Van already has a hitch and 4 pole connector, I am not concerned with any exterior wireing, but not sure how to run the blue brake controller into the van.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:36 PM

I went down this road a few years ago, and decided to go with a Prodigy RF controller. I'd recommend checking it out, it puts the guts of the brake controller on the tongue of the trailer, and it's controlled remotely through a handheld controller that plugs into the 12v outlet. It needs a 7-pin plug installed, but no brake signal wire is required. It's powered through the +12V circuit on the 7-pin connector.

Pricey, but a better solution for me than ripping my interior apart.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...sha/90250.html
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlreese View Post
Has anyone installed a brake controller on a van without the factory tow package. I am trying to get an idea where to put it and how to wire it into the van.

Van already has a hitch and 4 pole connector, I am not concerned with any exterior wireing, but not sure how to run the blue brake controller into the van.
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/...ke-option.html

2017 Pacifica Limited
Red, Fully Loaded 8-Passenger

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

@Tom

I had looked at that and it might be an option.
1. How easy was it to pair as many reviews say pairing is tough.
2. Does it have to be paired to work?

3. I am assuming you still wired the reverse light into your 7 pin plug?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlreese View Post
@Tom

I had looked at that and it might be an option.
1. How easy was it to pair as many reviews say pairing is tough.
2. Does it have to be paired to work?

3. I am assuming you still wired the reverse light into your 7 pin plug?
I've had mine for three years, and I think I only had to re-pair the handheld once. I had no problems pairing whatsoever, the process really was pretty easy.

It doesn't have to have an RF connection to function. The handheld simply adjusts the settings on the controller and gives you a way to manually actuate the brakes. When disconnected the controller operates as a proportional controller that uses it's last commanded settings. So if you unplug the handheld, the brakes still function as normal, but of course you can't change the setting or see the output until you plug it back in.

My 7-pin connectors were wired with outputs from the standard 4-pin plus reverse(for a different trailer) and +12v to power the controller. The brake circuit is left open because it's unused, and the controller doesn't use the reverse circuit .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page