Towing Experience with a 3,500-lb boat - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 18Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 9
Did you install the Curt Class III hitch and the 7-pin trailer connector yourself? If yes, was it an easy job? If no, where did you have it done and how much did it run you?


Yep, I installed a Curt Class III hitch and a 7-pin trailer connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB007 View Post
Nice! Did you add the tow hitch to the vehicle after market or was it included with the van (factory installed)? Your comment about the radiator makes me think it is an aftermarket hitch.

I'm curious bc we just picked up our Pacifica yesterday, complete with factory installed tow package.
bear15 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Isanti, MN
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear15 View Post
Did you install the Curt Class III hitch and the 7-pin trailer connector yourself? If yes, was it an easy job? If no, where did you have it done and how much did it run you?
Yes, I installed it myself. The hitch itself was pretty easy, the most difficult part was dealing with the passenger-side bolts directly above the muffler. I didn't want to pull down the entire exhaust, so it was a bit of a challenge getting them torqued up properly. Nothing crazy, though...the hitch took under an hour with me taking my time.

The wiring was the hard part. This is the first vehicle I've done where the tail lamp wiring is accessed externally, so the connector kit has to be fished up between the bumper fascia and the body all the way to the taillight. I used a wire nut to connect my power wire from the battery to the 7-pin connector and the trailer module, and ran a line to the reverse circuit as described in this thread:

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/...e-circuit.html

All told, it took me about half a day to get things done. Not a bad job, but certainly not the easiest I've done. But look on the bright side, no drilling!
Longtimemopar likes this.

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
TomB985 is online now  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:15 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 9
What part number is the Curt Class III hitch you installed and where did you get yours?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bear15 View Post
Did you install the Curt Class III hitch and the 7-pin trailer connector yourself? If yes, was it an easy job? If no, where did you have it done and how much did it run you?


Yep, I installed a Curt Class III hitch and a 7-pin trailer connector.
bear15 is offline  
 
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Isanti, MN
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear15 View Post
What part number is the Curt Class III hitch you installed and where did you get yours?
I bought the Curt 76046 from eTrailer.com:

https://www.etrailer.com/p-76046.htm...model=Pacifica

Unfortunately it looks like the price went up quite a bit. I paid $139.97 a month ago, and they price matched www.autoanything.com at $131.76. Search around, Etrailer will price match just about anyone.

ON edit: Yup, AutoAnything still sells it at that price.

https://www.autoanything.com/towing/...-trailer-hitch

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
TomB985 is online now  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
Yes, I installed it myself. The hitch itself was pretty easy, the most difficult part was dealing with the passenger-side bolts directly above the muffler. I didn't want to pull down the entire exhaust, so it was a bit of a challenge getting them torqued up properly. Nothing crazy, though...the hitch took under an hour with me taking my time.

The wiring was the hard part. This is the first vehicle I've done where the tail lamp wiring is accessed externally, so the connector kit has to be fished up between the bumper fascia and the body all the way to the taillight. I used a wire nut to connect my power wire from the battery to the 7-pin connector and the trailer module, and ran a line to the reverse circuit as described in this thread:

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/...e-circuit.html

All told, it took me about half a day to get things done. Not a bad job, but certainly not the easiest I've done. But look on the bright side, no drilling!
I also thought installing the hitch was not difficult and I did not have a lift, I just worked under the car. etrailer has a video that is very easy to install, but you need to remove the sound damping cover first. There are tons of exposed screws easy to access, and then two more in the passenger rear wheel well that are a little trickier to access. It was also a pain to remove the rubber attachment points for the muffler, and I needed a ratchet extender piece to reach old of the bolts with my torque wrench.

Wireing was also simple, I used some electrical fish tape to pull the wire to the battery.
Longtimemopar and TomB985 like this.
mattlreese is offline  
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:36 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 9
Thank you very much for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
I bought the Curt 76046 from eTrailer.com:

https://www.etrailer.com/p-76046.htm...model=Pacifica

Unfortunately it looks like the price went up quite a bit. I paid $139.97 a month ago, and they price matched www.autoanything.com at $131.76. Search around, Etrailer will price match just about anyone.

ON edit: Yup, AutoAnything still sells it at that price.

https://www.autoanything.com/towing/...-trailer-hitch
bear15 is offline  
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 02:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 123
Just towed a pop up trailer 500 miles. Weight about 1400 lbs. Coolant hit about 210, tans hit 194 for about 5 miles at the end, but mostly stayed about 180. This was with the outside temp between 92-100 degrees
TomB985 likes this.
Nikbrewer is offline  
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Isanti, MN
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikbrewer View Post
Just towed a pop up trailer 500 miles. Weight about 1400 lbs. Coolant hit about 210, tans hit 194 for about 5 miles at the end, but mostly stayed about 180. This was with the outside temp between 92-100 degrees
Thanks for the data, those temps look good.


Just for perspective, today I had to park in a parking garage for a doctor appointment. My van is still in the shop, so I’m driving a brand-new ‘18 loaner Pacifica with 208 miles on the odometer as of now.

It took about five minutes to find a spot and park, which of course were at low enough speeds to not blow much air through the radiator. When I parked my coolant temp was 231, and oil at 226. Both of these on a completely unloaded van in 75-degree weather.

My point is that temperatures that used to be cause for concern are completely normal on these.

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
TomB985 is online now  
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 06:31 PM
GDM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 14
I am not a novice to towing having towed a 4200# boat safely as far 300 miles one way dozens of times with an appropriate tow vehicle (Durango with tow package) that has a tow capacity of 6200#. Reading TomB's posts suggest to me that he is towing with the Pacifica that has a tow capacity of 1500#. IF TomB had the factory tow package (which he admits he does not have) then he is at the limit of the Pacifica (3500#) BEFORE adding normal boating cargo to the boat and gear to the Pacifica and passengers to van. Since he actually has a tow capacity of 1500#, he is 2000# over his vehicle's actual tow capacity. I'd suggest the Pacifica is not the right vehicle of choice for this boat with a factory tow package and for sure is not the vehicle of choice with after market hitch. FWD is also not a good choice because of wet and slippery boat Ramps. I have seen people spin their wheels attempting to retrieve their boat on various boat ramps, some without success and some with serious tire smoke.

A factory tow package for the Pacifica includes: 220 amp alternator, seven and four pin connector, class ll hitch with 2 inch receiver with rating up to 3500# of gross trailer weight and trailer tongue weight of 300#, heavy duty radiator, trailer sway damping/sway control. The $995 MSRP cost for this is well worth the spend IF you have any inclination of towing something.

Also, if you install an after market hitch and exceed more than your owner's manual states you can tow (1500 pounds) and then require warranty work due on the engine overheating or some other issue that can be traced to towing, I suspect Chrysler will void the warranty. Just saying.
GDM is offline  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Isanti, MN
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDM View Post
I am not a novice to towing having towed a 4200# boat safely as far 300 miles one way dozens of times with an appropriate tow vehicle (Durango with tow package) that has a tow capacity of 6200#. Reading TomB's posts suggest to me that he is towing with the Pacifica that has a tow capacity of 1500#. IF TomB had the factory tow package (which he admits he does not have) then he is at the limit of the Pacifica (3500#) BEFORE adding normal boating cargo to the boat and gear to the Pacifica and passengers to van. Since he actually has a tow capacity of 1500#, he is 2000# over his vehicle's actual tow capacity. I'd suggest the Pacifica is not the right vehicle of choice for this boat with a factory tow package and for sure is not the vehicle of choice with after market hitch. FWD is also not a good choice because of wet and slippery boat Ramps. I have seen people spin their wheels attempting to retrieve their boat on various boat ramps, some without success and some with serious tire smoke.

A factory tow package for the Pacifica includes: 220 amp alternator, seven and four pin connector, class ll hitch with 2 inch receiver with rating up to 3500# of gross trailer weight and trailer tongue weight of 300#, heavy duty radiator, trailer sway damping/sway control. The $995 MSRP cost for this is well worth the spend IF you have any inclination of towing something.

Also, if you install an after market hitch and exceed more than your owner's manual states you can tow (1500 pounds) and then require warranty work due on the engine overheating or some other issue that can be traced to towing, I suspect Chrysler will void the warranty. Just saying.
I appreciate your perspective, but FWIW, I'm not exactly new at this. I've done over 300,000 miles towing trailers between 400-62,000 lbs, with everything from a Mustang to a Kenworth road tractor. I've been boating my entire life, and have been dealing with ramps as the driver since I was 16. Much of my experience to date has been with FWD minivans on said boat ramps. Trust me, I get it.

As far as safety's concerned, my aftermarket Draw Tite hitch is rated for 4,500 lbs towing, and 675 lbs tongue weight. Both are significantly higher than the factory tow package. My trailer has hydraulic disc surge brakes that are in proper working order, and it tows like a dream behind my van. I've geeked out on temperatures, aftermarket coolers, and such for years on other forums with other tow vehicles, but this is one that doesn't appear to need any supplementation. That is, of course, assuming the instrument cluster temp readings are accurate.

I get it...you're reciting the textbook answer here, and I can't disagree with that. But I'm very comfortable with how my van tows, and I'd make the same choice again.
dotbot likes this.

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
TomB985 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine temps when towing Nikbrewer Towing 3 04-27-2018 11:21 AM
Towing 20' 2500# boat with 2017 LTD 1000Islandson 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan General Discussion 1 09-27-2017 06:12 PM
Help understanding towing vtncus Towing 8 01-26-2017 10:39 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome