Why the reduced tow rating with aftermarket hitch? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Why the reduced tow rating with aftermarket hitch?

Hi all, first post here. 2 kids and a (very nice) surprise on the way means I'm now in the market for a minivan. Considering the Pacifica and Odyssey. Unfortunately I can't afford new, but the used market has lots of options in my price range. I need this vehicle to tow a popup camper, and this is apparently looking to cause problems.

I have found several used Pacificas with the factory tow package, but they are very few and far between, would require excessive travel to pick up, and seem to carry a premium price tag as there is lots of demand. I have an aftermarket hitch on my current vehicle and I've been very happy with it. I see others here have done the same with their Pacifica, but I am very taken aback by Chrysler's documented reduction in towing capacity unless you're using *their* towing package. I find this very frustrating and suspicious.

As an engineer, I understand the need for engine and transmission cooling, so I get that, and would pursue aftermarket options with an aftermarket hitch. I can see possibly arguing for a larger alternator and battery, but doesn't seem as necessary. I cannot see why the factory hitch would have double the capacity of an aftermarket hitch. On several other vehicles, the factory hitch just bolts on to the undercarriage the exact same way as an aftermarket hitch would. And factory equipment is usually smaller and less robust. Is this not the case with the Pacifica? Do they have something integral to the body that changes with the tow package? I cannot see Chrysler making significant body changes for this. There are no suspension changes with the towing package. So what gives?

Also, I know the factory tow package has an added electronic stability system. Why is it the majority of other vehicles get by without another added system? Does the Pacifica have known stability issues with some extra weight behind it? Makes me wonder. Also, what happens if you do it right, get the factory tow package with stability system, and the stability system has a fault and goes out in the middle of a drive? It is arguably another point of failure - if the car decides to kill that system and there are stability concerns without it, now you're in the same boat again. As a previous Chrysler owner, I'm unfortunately too aware of Chrysler's reliability history, as well as the Pacifica's electronic issues specifically as well (though I want to think they got it better this time). So... are there safety concerns with this?

I'm just really confused on this. Is it FCA CYA, a sales trick to scare buyers into padding their commissions more, or a safety concern? I like the Pacifica but this would keep me from buying one if it really is an issue. Any thoughts or discussion are appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 11:03 AM

I think you've answered your own questions already. There's also the warranty claim problem if they believe you have been towing more than the 1500 lb. they may deny you service under warranty. Also if you wire up a trailer brake, then they are going to know you've been towing more than the 1500 lb.

TomR00

-------------------------------------
2017 Pacifica Touring
Billit Metallic Silver
Build: 5/16
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I just can't believe they would choose to lose sales over their own tow package...

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 11:32 AM

I Just purchased a Livin' Lite 10.0 pop up trailer. Weights about 1100 lbs. Towing in 99 degree weather from texas, i saw my coolant and trans temps riser by about 10 degrees. Highest trans got was 193 for about 5 miles when i was in town going slow.

I have looked into the parts, and adding the factory trans cooler would be pretty easy. I think the larger radiator on the towing package would not be needed until you get closer to the 3000 lbs mark, or are in a ton of mountains
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 01:05 PM

There is no additional transmission cooling, those are the same for all Pacificas. The only hardware difference I've heard about is the radiator, which is slightly larger with the towing package. Check out my thread here:

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/...0-lb-boat.html

I tow a 3,500-lb boat with my Pacifica, and I've made no modifications other than the hitch and wiring. All Pacificas have the ability to display engine coolant temperature, oil temperature, oil pressure, and transmission temperature in the information display. Towing my boat in 95-degree weather, the factory cooling package has been more than adequate. I imagine the beefed up radiator is useful for passing the J2807 Davis Dam test right at the limit, but most of us don't climb the most brutal grade in the nation with our trailers. I'll continue to monitor my temps while towing and make a change if one is needed, but so far I've pulled over 500 miles and neither the engine nor transmission have come anywhere close to needing more cooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR00 View Post
I think you've answered your own questions already. There's also the warranty claim problem if they believe you have been towing more than the 1500 lb. they may deny you service under warranty. Also if you wire up a trailer brake, then they are going to know you've been towing more than the 1500 lb.
Over the last fifteen years I've spent time on a bunch of different automotive forums from several manufacturers. I've heard a lot of warranty horror stories, but I've never heard of someone with a denied warranty claim because of trailer weight. Heck, one well-known poster on another forum used to work for GM and said that they never even consider this in the warranty process. Of course it's a different company with different procedures, but I don't think anyone is putting trailers on scales to deny a warranty claim.

2017 Pacifica Touring L
Draw-Tite Class III Hitch for towing the boat.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 01:20 PM

not sure how they would even prove what weight trailer you were towing My 1000 lbs trailer had an option for trailer brakes. it does not have them, but it could. ALso, a 2000 lbs flat bed trailer could we weighted down to 5000 lbs, but how would they ever prove it?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
There is no additional transmission cooling, those are the same for all Pacificas. The only hardware difference I've heard about is the radiator, which is slightly larger with the towing package. Check out my thread here:
*snip*
Thanks for the link - I did see your thread earlier so I appreciate you posting. I'm somewhere between (1) cautious that something else is at play here and the reduced rating should be adhered to, and (2) as long as I understand what I'm doing, it'll be fine just like any other vehicle. I just don't know any other manufacturer that claims a 3rd party hitch is worth less than a stock one... then again I have not reviewed every vehicle - I should look into the odyssey, maybe it says the same thing.

Seems the anti-sway system is for sure a "nice-to-have" but load your trailer properly and drive appropriately like you would in any other vehicle and you'll be fine.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks TomB for the thoughts. I have a little time to figure it out, but I'm leaning back towards aftermarket hitch on the Pacifica.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 03:09 PM

what popup trailer do you have / looking at getting
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 04:20 PM

Whatever your thoughts on the tow ratings with vs without the tow package, just keep in mind that if you don't have the tow package your only rated to tow a max of 1500lbs. If you were to get into an accident while exceeding that weight your insurance company will most likely drop you on the spot and leave you on the hook for whatever damages may have occurred. That risk seems much more costly than the cost of the tow package.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page