20' Pontoon Tow - Page 3 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee View Post
No felony as long as you use those mirror extenders Just monitor you oil, coolant and transmission temps. Fortunately the Pacifica makes all these readily available. I think the transmission will probably be the weak link relative to towing. Keep it in the right temperature range.
I used to think the same, but I don't think so anymore. From everything I can tell, the transmission cooling is the same on all Pacificas, not something that's upgraded with the factory towing package. It's an oil-to-air cooler, and mine seems to do quite well when going down the highway, even in 90+ degree weather towing my boat.

The warmest I've ever seen the transmission is 205*, and that was in mid-90* weather in stop-and-go traffic for about 20 minutes with 5 of us in the car towing the boat. I can't get the engine over 232* either, and the bar gauge has never moved at all.

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
So you don't think I'm committing a felony towing with it? OK, I'll let the RPM's do what they please then. Either that or the old-school 11,000lb rated Econoline I guess. (Gross Combined Wt Rating (lbs):22,000)
Hey Toast, just find yerself a long flatbed trailer, put the 'toonboat and Pac on it, and tow them both with the Foad Truk! Now what was the problem?
Toast likes this.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:52 PM
GDM

If one wants to be entertained for an hour or so, go to a busy boat ramp and watch people try to launch and retrieve their boats. From my boat, I watched a guy with a FWD van try to pull his boat out on a slippery ramp only to spin the wheels (wet and slimy ramp = slippery as heck). Someone came to his rescue with a tow chain and truck to get the van and boat out of the water. One needs to consider all aspects of towing the boat from tow capacity to pulling load out of water on a slippery ramp.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDM View Post
If one wants to be entertained for an hour or so, go to a busy boat ramp and watch people try to launch and retrieve their boats. From my boat, I watched a guy with a FWD van try to pull his boat out on a slippery ramp only to spin the wheels (wet and slimy ramp = slippery as heck). Someone came to his rescue with a tow chain and truck to get the van and boat out of the water. One needs to consider all aspects of towing the boat from tow capacity to pulling load out of water on a slippery ramp.
I launched and retrieved over 20 times last summer at at least six different ramps. My boat is right at the 3500 pound limit, and I had no troubles. You have to be cautious, I turned away from a gravel ramp realizing I would have a problem, but with some common sense it is not an issue.

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page