Forest River Wolf Pup 16BHS - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By shawnee
  • 1 Post By GDM

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Forest River Wolf Pup 16BHS

I have a 2017 Touring L with factory tow package. Do you all think I could tow this camper with out an problems? We are going on a trip to Utah later this summer and are looking to rent a camper for the trip. This is one that my wife likes.

Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS Travel Trailers / Toy Haulers by Forest River RV

The model we are looking at is the 16BHS. It would be my wife and I and three kids, and our luggage.I am leaning towards a good pop-up but my wife wants a camper with a built in shower and toilet. It seems border line to me, but I was curious what you all thought?

2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Tusk White/Cognac-Alloy-Toffee Wheel/Tire/Touring Pkg, 8.4-in Display, Towing Pkg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:41 PM

i would say no. If you just had to move it and it was empty and the van was empty, maybe, but when you load it and the van, you will be way over i would guess
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 06:36 PM

rluck9277,

The 16BHS trailer will put you close to or just over limits specified for your Pacifica. You will need to be very careful how you load the van and what you take with you on the trip. Some numbers:

Gross Combined Weight Rating is 8600. Subtract the curb weight of the Pacifica (4330) and the dry weight of the trailer (3097) leaves 1173 for cargo. This doesn't look too bad until you look a little deeper. My Pacifica Limited is limited to 1150 for cargo in the van. I expect your L is the same (find the limit on tire pressure placard on drivers door jamb).

From the 1150, subtract 377 for the trailer specified tongue weight leaving 773 pounds for people and all the things you want to take with you. As mentioned earlier, you will need to be careful how you load the van and may be limited on how much stuff, by weight, that you bring on your trip. Leave the fresh, gray and black water tanks on the trailer empty when towing. You can't afford the extra weight.

Note the published tongue weight for the trailer, 377, exceeds the Pacifica's published limit of 360. Also the trailer frontal area, although not specified, likely exceeds the Pacifica's published limit of 40 square feet. Air resistance at highway speeds will put a load on the engine/transmission. You may need to limit your speed to 55 or 60 mph. Plan for longer travel time.

If you want to pursue this trailer, I suggest you gather up the things you plan on taking, including clothes, and weigh everything so you have a clear understanding of the total weight. I would also suggest you see if the dealer will let you take the trailer out for a short test run. And make sure you get mirror extenders so you can see around the trailer behind you.

Good Luck.
irpilot and GoWFO like this.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:08 AM
GDM

I would NOT pull this trailer with a Pacifica. You are most likely beyond the vehicles tow capacity after loading all the luggage and passengers and other extraneous stuff one loads into a trailer. You need an adequate SUV or truck for this event, not a mini van with a tow package. I would not out my family at risk by pulling this trailer, I hope you don't either. I have towed a sizable boat for many years without issues and use a Dodge Durango to do so.
sjambok likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in getting back on here to reply. I was really apprehensive about pulling that trailer with the Pacifica since it was so close in weight. So I did a little more looking and think I found a better alternative. I found a 2015 Starcraft Launch 16 RB hybrid trailer. It has a dry weight of 2500 pounds. Doing a little math I don’t think the weight of my family and gear we are taking will be more than 800 pounds. So I would have a GCVR of around 8100 pounds. About 500 pounds under the GCVWR of 8600.

Thought?

Also, i have never towed anything other than a jet ski, should I get a weight distribution hitch for towing this trailer? The tongue weight for our van is 360 pounds, i cant imagine the tongue weight on that trailer would be more than that, but I was wondering about sway with this vehicle and trailer combination>

2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Tusk White/Cognac-Alloy-Toffee Wheel/Tire/Touring Pkg, 8.4-in Display, Towing Pkg.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 06:48 PM

I tow a popup camper with a dry weight of 2500 lbs (with AC). I tow right at 8100. I have not towed at altitudes above 2500 ft yet but so far I have not had any issues. I feel very comfortable with how my Pacifica tows at 8100, but I have little added air resistance with a popup.

In your case hitch weight of 334 for the Starcraft is above the 300 lbs the Pacifica is rated for and its your call if you want to risk it. Another poster said 360 but I have only ever seen 300. You will need weight distribution. My popup is listed at 243 hitch weight and I am seriously considering weight distribution for it as there is more sag then I would like. If they made airbags for the pacifica I would already have them. My only complaint about towing at all is the suspension sag, but its not enough to cause any issues.

Be aware the dry weight on the launch does not include an AC unit and is with the water tanks empty. Also 800 lbs of people and gear is a lot lower then you think. I am towing around 1200 and I try to tow as light as I can.

2018 Pacifica Touring plus
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:28 PM

Even with trailer brakes, stopping that trailer in any sort of hurry will really stain your undies. If you baby it, pulling the trailer can work, but stopping it is gonna be an issue. Remember, if you even stop 1 inch farther than you need to, you are going to have a real bad day.

"Don't worry about the brakes. Even if they don't work so good, something else will stop you." -Yogi Berra

2018 Limited Gas
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:08 PM

Rluck9277, I'm one of those who believe minivans of all flavors should not be used to tow anything other than light utility trailers, but I could be wrong. Please report back and let us know how it goes.

2018 Pacifica Touring L Plus (gas)
Built April 10, 2018 (Tuesday)
Molten silver exterior
Toffee cognac alloy interior (gray carpeting)
Advanced Safety Tech
18" tire/wheel group (Michelin Premier tires)
Spare tire kit w/tire, sealer and inflator
Mopar Lifetime warranty

Mods:
Lumar AIR 80 front side window tint.
Maxpider Kagu front mats (with thanks to thread started by Chase023 in Accessories and Add Ons forum).
Alla 7443 LED brake/turn signal bulbs (with thanks to Josef15111 sticky in Electronics forum).
iJDMTOY Amber CAN-bus PWY24W LED front turn signal bulbs (credit same Josef15111 sticky).
JDM ASTAR 1200 lumens LED backup bulbs (with thanks to KorbenD in LED Replacement Lights topic of Electronics subforum).
Catizon H11 LEDs CREE for fogs (with thanks to Stop-Eject in LED Replacement Lights topic; and for his instructions).
VLED Micro LED 9011 low-beams (with thanks to Fast55 for advice on beam pattern)
Viofo A119S dash cam (have A118 on my 4Runner)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaMinivanFan View Post
Rluck9277, I'm one of those who believe minivans of all flavors should not be used to tow anything other than light utility trailers, but I could be wrong. Please report back and let us know how it goes.
The Pacifica tows popup campers just fine BTW. The Pacifica is not like the minivans of old. It is quite a robust vehicle.

2018 Pacifica Touring plus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page