Just finished 1500 mile road trip with a ~2800 lb popup camper. - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By mattlreese

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Just finished 1500 mile road trip with a ~2800 lb popup camper.

As the title says I just got back from a 1500 mile road trip through PA, NY, and parts of Canada, including some decent hills in the finger lakes area and upstate PA along US-15. Pacifica pulled like a champ. Some facts for those of you thinking about towing.

- Total weight was 8300 lbs, so very close to the 8600 lb max.
- I do not have a factory tow package, but I did install a brake controller and hitch.
- The popup has friction anti sway bar, but no WD Hitch.
- There was suspension sag, I would say the real world max tongue weight is 300 lbs. Not 360.

I never once experienced any issues towing. No sway ever, temps were all about 10-15% above normal, which is well within normal limits. Braking was fine and on the major hills, on US-15 I kept the speed to 55 mph so the RPM's would stay below 3500. I also noticed the oil change gauge dropped at about twice the normal rate, so you will need more oil changes if towing. However I change the oil myself so that is not a huge expense.

Also MPG highway was always above 18, the final 200 mile stretch today was 21.

2018 Pacifica Touring plus

Last edited by mattlreese; 07-02-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 06:01 AM

Thanks for providing the information and nice to hear you had no surprises!

2019 Limited, Luxury White, HK Sound, Tow Group, Advanced Safety Tec Group
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:05 PM
Gus

Thanks for sharing you experience!

I am looking to buy a trailer camper or similar. I have a 2019 with factory tow package, I bought with it with this intention to tow a camper trailer. But in Brazil we never had this culture so I am totally beginner.
I saw somewhere that the total that we can tow is 1800lbs and you just did with 2800lbs that is great, open more options. But you mentioned total weight was 8300lbs and the max is 8600lbs, this max is the max that you can tow?

Thank you,
Gus

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

8600 is the max combined weight of everything including

Van weight including gear, gas, passengers etc in the van

Trailer weight with all gear

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlreese View Post
- I do not have a factory tow package, but I did install a brake controller and hitch.

- There was suspension sag, I would say the real world max tongue weight is 300 lbs. Not 360.
- The max tongue weight is 360 if you have the tow package.
- Without the factory tow package, rating is 1,500 pounds with a 150 pound tongue weight.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Go View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlreese View Post

- The max tongue weight is 360 if you have the tow package.
- Without the factory tow package, rating is 1,500 pounds with a 150 pound tongue weight.
Yes, except its been stated here multiple times that the tow package does not add anything to the rear suspension that would warent such a difference from an engineering perspective.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 05:18 PM

That's why we can't have nice stuff.

Very few parts in the van are specifically labelled for VIN code AHT, the Trailer Tow group. Take the alternators: they come in 180 and 220 amps. Trailer Tow comes with the 220, but the 220 is not labelled Trailer Tow. It's just a 220 amp alternator. The suspension is even better! There are six types of springs and seven types of shocks, and none of them specifically say Trailer Tow. The broad types of suspension are Normal Duty (one type of rear shock), Touring (three types of shocks) and Heavy Duty (yet another three types, and its own unique jounce bumper). None of the springs specifically say which type of suspension they belong to, they just say "spring".

Yes, there's a chance you have heavy duty suspension without having Trailer Tow (keep in mind, there are three different sets of rear shocks that fall under HD). But if you don't have trailer Tow, there's a greater chance that you don't have heavy duty- and when you load up you may think that the 360 pound tongue weight rating is optimistic. Because odds are it's more than double your van's actual rating. The only real way to find the difference is to find someone with an 18 Touring Plus with trailer tow and run both of your VINs to see if you both have the same rear suspension parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page