Inflatable Spare Tire vs. Donut - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 24Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Toast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 199
Garage
I wish it came with that IndyCar style self-jacking system. That would be so cool.
citanic likes this.

'18 Pacifica LTD, GCM
Toast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: California
Posts: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by citanic View Post
I know. My issue with Fix-A-Flat is that still you need to inflate the tire in some way
The van comes with an inflator/goo kit that plugs into the back power port.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build
SciTchr is online now  
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
 
citanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 633
Garage
Think about it, a spare tire is more dead weight added and a waste of useful space you could have used for many other things. In the TL+ I'm using the compartment to keep a hand vacuum, tool kit, towels, etc. I still have room to put more stuff there. So definitely, I'm glad that TL+ came with just a repair kit that includes an air pump which BTW I used to carry in my Prius for emergencies and the one that saved at least 2 times to have to use the spare tire of my Prius. When you get what I call the "morning flat tire" that means that your tire spent the whole night to deflate. And that means that if you put air on it that will give you enough time (20 to 30 minutes) to get into a tire repair place. You need more time, stop and reinflate as many times as you need.

-




-------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced Safety Package is the way to Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

March 2018< 2018 Pacifica Touring L +
2010 - 2018 - Prius III
2008 - 2010 - Honda Fit
Before 2008 - Hyundai Tucson, Sonata, Elantra, Mercury Mystique, Toyota Corolla.
citanic is offline  
 
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:32 PM
Senior Member
 
citanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 633
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciTchr View Post
The van comes with an inflator/goo kit that plugs into the back power port.
Correct. The combination of that kit and a Fix-A-Flat is a total replacement for a spare tire.

-




-------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced Safety Package is the way to Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

March 2018< 2018 Pacifica Touring L +
2010 - 2018 - Prius III
2008 - 2010 - Honda Fit
Before 2008 - Hyundai Tucson, Sonata, Elantra, Mercury Mystique, Toyota Corolla.
citanic is offline  
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:38 PM
Senior Member
 
citanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 633
Garage
Here it's a good information on the topic


-




-------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced Safety Package is the way to Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

March 2018< 2018 Pacifica Touring L +
2010 - 2018 - Prius III
2008 - 2010 - Honda Fit
Before 2008 - Hyundai Tucson, Sonata, Elantra, Mercury Mystique, Toyota Corolla.
citanic is offline  
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by citanic View Post
Think about it, a spare tire is more dead weight added and a waste of useful space you could have used for many other things. In the TL+ I'm using the compartment to keep a hand vacuum, tool kit, towels, etc. I still have room to put more stuff there. So definitely, I'm glad that TL+ came with just a repair kit that includes an air pump which BTW I used to carry in my Prius for emergencies and the one that saved at least 2 times to have to use the spare tire of my Prius. When you get what I call the "morning flat tire" that means that your tire spent the whole night to deflate. And that means that if you put air on it that will give you enough time (20 to 30 minutes) to get into a tire repair place. You need more time, stop and reinflate as many times as you need.

I totally get that. But if I get a “morning flat”, I can also change the tire in 10 minutes and go to work. I can then either repair the flat myself after work, or stop by a tire shop for a fix during lunch or on my way to/from work.

As a bonus, repairing a tire that has been “repaired” with fix-a-flat isn’t as easy as one without, and many shops charge more to do so.

Different factors for different folks. The most important thing for us, however, was not having that worthless vacuum back there.
citanic and GoWFO like this.
PatentlyPhil is offline  
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:06 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1
Bought a 2019 Pacifica. Second week took a 2 1/2 hour trip. Coming home pulled off interstate to get a drink, pulled back on and tire went flat. Pulled out inflation kit followed directions and filled tire. Half a mlle later tire flat again. Didn’t add towing coverage because we had Chrysler Roadside. Found out they only pay if towed to Chrysler dealership. They’re not open on Sunday. Only place open was Walmart. Six hours later finally home. $180 for tow. $120 for tire. Someone here said you have more chance to get hit by lightning than have a flat the kit wouldn’t fix. I guess I got hit by lightning.
royalcoach is offline  
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 04:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Lily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcoach View Post
Bought a 2019 Pacifica. Second week took a 2 1/2 hour trip. Coming home pulled off interstate to get a drink, pulled back on and tire went flat. Pulled out inflation kit followed directions and filled tire. Half a mlle later tire flat again. Didn’t add towing coverage because we had Chrysler Roadside. Found out they only pay if towed to Chrysler dealership. They’re not open on Sunday. Only place open was Walmart. Six hours later finally home. $180 for tow. $120 for tire. Someone here said you have more chance to get hit by lightning than have a flat the kit wouldn’t fix. I guess I got hit by lightning.
Exactly why we ordered the spare tire / vacuum delete. Cant put the vacuum on to get home lol

2018 Pacifica Limited Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
Uconnect® Theater with Streaming and Sound
Interior Protection Package
Trailer Tow Group
Advanced SafetyTec Group
KeySense
8–Passenger Seating & 20–Inch Wheel Group
Delete Vacuum / Add Spare Tire
Front and Rear Splash Guards
Engine Block Heater
Wireless Charging Pad by Mopar
Lifetime Warranty w/ $100 Deductible
Lily is online now  
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 06:10 PM
TCS
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1
AC/DC tire inflaror and a plug kit and your good to go for under 50 bucks.
TCS is offline  
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NYC
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcoach View Post
Bought a 2019 Pacifica. Second week took a 2 1/2 hour trip. Coming home pulled off interstate to get a drink, pulled back on and tire went flat. Pulled out inflation kit followed directions and filled tire. Half a mlle later tire flat again. Didn’t add towing coverage because we had Chrysler Roadside. Found out they only pay if towed to Chrysler dealership. They’re not open on Sunday. Only place open was Walmart. Six hours later finally home. $180 for tow. $120 for tire. Someone here said you have more chance to get hit by lightning than have a flat the kit wouldn’t fix. I guess I got hit by lightning.
Check your insurance policy. Some throw in roadside assistance..

I have AAA as well - they respond fast around here (except when 100 people need a jump start on a cold morning) and I don't want my wife stranded for a long time or forced to the dealer off hours.... To me it's worth the few $$$.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
Build date Oct 2016 - Delivered 11/30/16
jerry17 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
17in spare tire on 18in wheel djustice Tires, Wheels and Suspension 11 12-30-2018 12:57 AM
mounting spare tire on 2018 limited spalmhouse New Member Introductions 7 04-21-2018 02:59 PM
my solution to no spare tire jvntrs 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan General Discussion 12 12-24-2017 05:30 PM
perplexed over spare tire and options budi Dealers, Purchasing and Ordering 8 12-15-2016 08:02 AM
Roadside Assistance for flat tire without a spare CenTexas 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan General Discussion 11 12-02-2016 03:03 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome