Inflatable Spare Tire vs. Donut - Page 4 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunRider View Post
It may be an old-school way of thinking, but with me in a wheelchair and paralyzed from the chest down, it’s a comforting feeling to know that I at least have the option for someone to change a possible flat tire. If I have a flat that requires towing, I can’t just hop in the wrecker or even call Lyft to come pick me up. I hope I never need a spare, but if so I might be really glad I have it.

Thinking back, I do remember having one flat in my current Town & Country. When we came out of the restaurant, there was a good Samaritan waiting for us who took the spare tire from the Town & Country and changed it. We were on our way in less than 30 minutes.

It will probably be a good idea to keep a can of run flat in my van, but I still like the idea of having a spare that someone can change. That cuts out more problems for me than you could imagine. I don’t see it as useless or ridiculous.
Both an air compressor and something like the Run Flat goo are in the tire service kit that comes with the van. There is a place for that kit to fit with the spare tire kit when stored.

The air compressor can also be plugged into a 12V power outlet in the cargo area of the van and be used to inflate a tire or other things (air mattresses, balls, etc.).
Bond007 and CajunRider like this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 03-01-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:43 PM

For those with the vacuum, or the hybrid, or don't want to pay for the OEM donut, or want something for when you travel away from civilization... and don't want to take up space in the trunk... you could mount a spare to the hitch.

Personally I'd rather strap it to a cargo carrier, which has more practical uses than just a tire, but thought I'd add this as an idea/option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spare1.jpg (18.6 KB, 20 views)

2017 Gas Touring L, Curt hitch, 13" aftermarket overhead screen
2018 Limited PacHy, Curt hitch, Weathertech, B1W hardwired dashcam
2019 Limited S PacHy, Drawtite hitch, Weathertech, B1W hardwired dashcam
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparker06 View Post
In more than 30 years of driving only ONCE , ONCE have I changed a tire.. had only a couple of flats.. but keep a can of run flat.. and it works great.. enough to get you to gas station.. just need enough to keep the rim from touching the ground doesn't have to be a full air.

We have road side assistance, lyft, DOT trucks that offer free change, towing within 50 miles or 100 for some warranty.. why do you NEED a spare tire?

Not to mention there are run flat tires you can get instead I can fire a 20 caliber bullet into your tire with a gaping hole the size of a half dollar and the car is drivable.. there are so many options other than spare tire, which is outdated and completely USELESS.

Spare tires is a waste of space. You don't need it. You must be 'older' person.. (and I bet I am close to your age or older myself) and *I* have gotten over my obsession with a tire.. it's really ridiculous to NEED a tire in your car it's old school thinking.

You are literally a phone call and probably no more than 10 or 15 minutes from a ride or someone that can help you. Not to mention the good Samaritans that are helpful..
Such a myopic way of looking at it... Literally.

In over 30 years of driving I have changed no less than 12 of my OWN blown tires for numerous reasons including one doing 85 mph. That one was on a tiny road in AZ...

So you assume everyone lives with great cell reception, tons of people around, just waiting to help?

LOL. Look at a map. Seriously. Nothing you said is true for everyone- just you.

I personally insisted on a full size spare. My life experience is literally the opposite of you. Cell reception is extremely unreliable ALL OVER the US...

So I agree with those who want a spare. Mine has one and I'm 100% sure I'll have to use it at some point- especially as I kept my last van for 15 years from new.
Bond007, arteitle and CajunRider like this.

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunRider View Post
I'm having this same dilemma right now. After looking for a while, I have finally found a Pacifica with the features I want, but it doesn't come with a spare tire. My Pacifica will be converted with a Braunability conversion (wheelchair ramp and more). I've had a Town & Country for about five years and haven't had a flat. It's kind of comforting to know that you have a spare and a jack should you need it though. If I knew that a compressor kit would get me far enough to get help that would be enough for me. Can I depend on this?
In more than 30 years of driving only ONCE , ONCE have I changed a tire.. had only a couple of flats.. but keep a can of run flat.. and it works great.. enough to get you to gas station.. just need enough to keep the rim from touching the ground doesn't have to be a full air.

We have road side assistance, lyft, DOT trucks that offer free change, towing within 50 miles or 100 for some warranty.. why do you NEED a spare tire?

Not to mention there are run flat tires you can get instead I can fire a 20 caliber bullet into your tire with a gaping hole the size of a half dollar and the car is drivable.. there are so many options other than spare tire, which is outdated and completely USELESS.

Spare tires is a waste of space. You don't need it. You must be 'older' person.. (and I bet I am close to your age or older myself) and *I* have gotten over my obsession with a tire.. it's really ridiculous to NEED a tire in your car it's old school thinking.

You are literally a phone call and probably no more than 10 or 15 minutes from a ride or someone that can help you. Not to mention the good Samaritans that are helpful..
When you hit something in the road on a Saturday night that kills your tire beyond a can of fix a flat, what wI'll you do? Where will you ask to be towed as most tire places will be closed and closed on Sunday as well. A quick road trip could quickly turn into an expensive tow and a few unexpected nights away from home. Yeah, it's a long shot, bUT paying 400 to 500 bucks for an on board spare is a small price to pay for the insurance!

2019 Pacifica Touring L Plus with "S" package

2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn 62K miles (original owner)

2008 Pt Cruiser Limited 106K miles (original owner)

USMC (96-01)- Semper Fi!
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:35 AM

just picked up a limited tonight and came here to find how to get a spare in place of the stupid vac. the vac was not on our "must have" list. I would like to add to the debate on whether a space is needed. My wife and I have had 3 flat tires on our old van in the last 7 months. Before that I dont think I had changed a flat in 20 years. One flat a couple moths ago was caused by nail as we live in new construction neighborhood with debris everywhere. it was the simple puncture all the non-spare thinkers believe is the most common and only happened a mile from home in a populated neighborhood near a good Samaritan. he changed the tire by the time I reached my wife to help. but that was on a friday fternoon and getting the tire fixed had to wait until the following day. It was the perfect scenario for getting a flat,but even then, I would have been out a vehicle until it was fixed. The other times was Christmas day on the interstate travelling between family and in-laws, AAA was 2 hours out and we were 30 miles from the nearest city, but nothing was open. the spare was flat so we ended up waiting for the tow truck to air us up, but still finished our journey that day and was in a position to get the van to the repair shop on its own. Same thing this past Sunday, an interstate 10 miles from an exit heading home from same in-laws and a tire went down. Fixed it in 10 minutes on the roadside and started calling every tire place we were going to pass for a Sunday fix....none of them. So I took the van all the way home and then fixed it in the morning. Turns out the 2 latter examples, the belts let loose in the tire and the failure was catastrophic. goo was not going to fix that

I want a spare in my family car.
arteitle likes this.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
just picked up a limited tonight and came here to find how to get a spare in place of the stupid vac. the vac was not on our "must have" list.
I want a spare in my family car.
Search this forum for a post by a member who successfully removed the vacuum and installed the factory spare in its place or buy the factory spare and store in one of the 2nd row stow-n-go bins.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:11 PM

Garage
Quote:

You are awfully optimistic about a lot of things.

I guarantee you my spare tire and jack will get me back on the road quicker than any of your alternatives.

I must be 'older' person too.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid
2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
just picked up a limited tonight and came here to find how to get a spare in place of the stupid vac... I want a spare in my family car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee View Post
Search this forum for a post by a member who successfully removed the vacuum and installed the factory spare in its place or buy the factory spare and store in one of the 2nd row stow-n-go bins.
For non hybrids with a vacuum, it is probably much easier to put the inflatable spare in a stow and go well than to remove the vacuum. See post 22 of the current thread for a link to the photo of the spare in the stow and go well.

The link to the vacuum removal post isn't working. Here is the thread if you are interested in contacting @Redltd for info about the vacuum removal process.
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...to_threadtools

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 07-10-2019 at 01:58 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page